Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gripping too tight

We are diminished
    My take on grip, fwiw:

Strong hand has a primary role, and that is making the trigger press successful. Everything else is secondary to that when shooting 2H. The more accomplished and experienced you are at pulling the trigger without moving your other fingers, the harder you can grip. But it's pretty easy to see that a lighter SH grip means less likelihood of influencing your gun during the trigger press. Wrap your SH middle, ring, and pinky fingers around your WH thumb and then simulating pressing a trigger with your SH trigger finger. The tighter your grip your thumb, the more you'll feel the other fingers as you "press the trigger." If you could add resistance to the trigger press, this would be even more pronounced.

The crush grip that some advocate certainly does work under many circumstances for many people, but as your skill progresses and you want/try to make tougher shots under pressure you'll find that gorilla gripping the pistol with your strong hand diminishes both precision and speed of trigger finger movement.

The weak hand has a primary role, too. Its job is to control the gun. Because you do not need any fine movement with your WH nor do you have to move any of your WH muscles quickly and precisely, you can afford to grip just about as hard as possible (without inducing a tremor) with that hand.

Thank you, Todd. I'll try it each way. Bear in mind that while the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - that one step is pretty much the only one I've taken. I'll be back!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    My take on grip, fwiw:

Strong hand has a primary role, and that is making the trigger press successful. Everything else is secondary to that when shooting 2H. The more accomplished and experienced you are at pulling the trigger without moving your other fingers, the harder you can grip. But it's pretty easy to see that a lighter SH grip means less likelihood of influencing your gun during the trigger press. Wrap your SH middle, ring, and pinky fingers around your WH thumb and then simulating pressing a trigger with your SH trigger finger. The tighter your grip your thumb, the more you'll feel the other fingers as you "press the trigger." If you could add resistance to the trigger press, this would be even more pronounced.

The crush grip that some advocate certainly does work under many circumstances for many people, but as your skill progresses and you want/try to make tougher shots under pressure you'll find that gorilla gripping the pistol with your strong hand diminishes both precision and speed of trigger finger movement.

The weak hand has a primary role, too. Its job is to control the gun. Because you do not need any fine movement with your WH nor do you have to move any of your WH muscles quickly and precisely, you can afford to grip just about as hard as possible (without inducing a tremor) with that hand.
    Great information Todd.

Thanks for sharing!
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

User Tag List