Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet and smart phone discussion thread

We are diminished
    I'm not committing to a phone unless I'm confident before I leave the store that the keyboard is better. If I forewent the physical slider QWETY only to discover that my big clumsy thumbs were the culprit rather than the soft keyboards, I'd be a miserable guy...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Recovering from Apple-ism isn't an easy process. It will take some time.

We're here for you, bro. This is a supportive, loving environment.

Todd,

You know we don't have an iphone, but we have a bunch of i and apple products. Plenty of problems with them...not that pc's don't.

We are diminished
    I'm far from giving up on Apple. We're extremely happy with our MBPs, my iPad is great (typing on it now from an Outback in Warrenton, VA), even our Apple TV has been better than I ever would have guessed.

I'm considering a new phone because AT&T drops my calls multiple times a day; typing on the iPhone is nearly futile for me at times; and, even with my new replacement phone I'm still having all sorts of antenna issues. While iOS5 has some pretty neat features, I'm not sure it's worth giving up things like "being able to make phone calls on my phone" and "being able to send emails."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If I forewent the physical slider QWETY only to discover that my big clumsy thumbs were the culprit rather than the soft keyboards, I'd be a miserable guy...
    Hey, you've discovered why I went with my G2 instead of a softkey-only phone. In all seriousness, I use the softkeyboard more than I have on my old G1, but I still find that having a physical keyboard makes life easier for me for anything longer than a very short quip... like this post.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Todd,

You know we don't have an iphone, but we have a bunch of i and apple products. Plenty of problems with them...not that pc's don't.
    I've managed to break my MBP more times in the last 4 years than any of the PCs I owned before it... it's still been a good laptop on the whole, though. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that owns a Macintosh, worked on a Linux box all day today, and who generally spends most of my day dealing with Windows at work (as well as my Windows gaming machine at home), so I'm not exactly representative. I tend to be harder on laptops than Todd is on guns.

We are diminished
    Another query that proves I'm too lazy to Google tonight: what about all my iTunes music?

Depends on whether it's tied up with iTunes. If it's simply MP3's, you can transfer to your Android... Although the music application isn't nearly as good as an iPod/iPhone.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm not committing to a phone unless I'm confident before I leave the store that the keyboard is better. If I forewent the physical slider QWETY only to discover that my big clumsy thumbs were the culprit rather than the soft keyboards, I'd be a miserable guy...
    It sounds like you are not using your on-screen keyboard on your phone correctly.

I believe the key to a positive experience using a virtual or soft keyboard is to have a very aggressive auto-predict/correct feature, and to have alot of faith in it.

It's almost like a sight picture for fast close range shooting on large easy targets. You don't need a perfect sight picture for every shot, rather you just need to see what you need to see. When I type on my phone, I go very fast and I bet I miss 30% or more of my keystrokes, but my fingers land close enough to their targets and the auto-correct/predict software fixes my mistakes with astonishing accuracy and consistency.

The mentioned swifttype keyboard I made a thread about is scary. It freaking learns how I type and think, and seriously knows with very high percentage what word I am going to type next, and usually after only a letter or two. It's like alien technology or some mind control AI craziness. Also as I said in the thread, spacing and punctuation are also very intuitive.

The other very popular keyboard on android is swype. I don't have too much experience with it but many swear by it.

sent via Android 3.1
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I tried Swype... Not as fast as SwiftKey, and made my phone crash a lot. And terrible with a horizontal screen.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

User Tag List