Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet and smart phone discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    OK, I should have asked a more specific question.

Is anyone aware of an upcoming android phone with physical keyboard worthy of serious consideration to rival the Droid 2?
    http://gizmodo.com/#!5782045/three-m...le-camera-hump

Keep in mind that the Droid 2 is around 8 months old, so it's in the second half of its lifecycle at this point.

So are you looking at moving to Verizon from At&T? I'd probably skip a physical keyboard and wait for the Droid X2 to be released if you had to have a keyboard then wait for the Droid 3.

OK, I should have asked a more specific question.

Is anyone aware of an upcoming android phone with physical keyboard worthy of serious consideration to rival the Droid 2?
    Todd,
    you may look at the Sony Experia X10 series. It sports a physical keyboard.
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...ro?cc=us&lc=en
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

I find that using swype is the best way to "type" on a on screen keyboard. If you have an android phone try it...big or little fingers it doesn't matter I have been using it for almost a year now...also Google speak it works well when you have a good connection.

http://www.swypeinc.com/
    Randy P.

About Me

We are diminished
    So I went to Verizon yesterday and looked at the Droid 2, some Droid with Swype, and the Thunderbolt.

I couldn't type particularly fast on any of them, but the 2 with its physical keyboard seemed the most capable of speed once I got accustomed to it.

I'm not even sure how Swype is supposed to work if you're used to typing with two thumbs. It was neat, but not nearly as fast as I can type on a Blackberry.

I've decided to take my iPhone4 to the Apple Store to get replaced (hopefully) for now, as apparently others have had similar signal/antenna issues with early 4's... mine was pre-ordered so it's from the very first batch. If that fixes everything but the keyboard, I can hold out until later in the year to compare the 5 to the Droids at the time.

Tethering sounds awesome in concept, but candidly I never travel anywhere with my notebook anymore and my iPad gets more than adequate speed even over AT&T 3G.

I'm not even sure how Swype is supposed to work if you're used to typing with two thumbs. It was neat, but not nearly as fast as I can type on a Blackberry.
    My G2 came with Swype, I hated it, replaced it.

Later on FlexT9 came out which I picked up primarily for the better text prediction and Dragon speech-to-text engine. It also supports a swipe-style input.

What I've found is that for anything "substantial" I default to the hardware keyboard. For quick responses where I don't feel like flipping open the hardware keyboard, I'll tap on the screen two-handed like a normal OSK. Where I've found swipe comes in really handy, though, is for one-handed input when my other hand is occupied (generally a drink or cigarette in my case).

I'd never use swipe input full-time -- because it is slower than a hardware keyboard or standard OSK -- but it's kind of become one of those nice-to-have sort of features that I'd probably miss a little if it went away tomorrow.

Swype takes getting use too, but is really good when you need to text one handed for whatever reason.

Got my wife the AT&T version of the Evo on sat. Her Iphone was crapping out, running supper slow and not getting reception worth a hoot (3G).

That Droid is pretty slick and has some great preloaded programs.

Downfalls I see so far...
    *batt does not last long, although that app killer program supposed to fix that
    *coming from Iphone it at times is hard to navigate for her

Pros...
    *awesome that when hooked up to a comp ITunes doesn't come up and take over your screen--my pet peeve
    *contact info is more in depth ie b-day, relationship to user, assign to group contacts for messages ect.
    *according to the wife it does not drop calls...we have 3 famous spots for dropped calls, 2 on the highway commute and our living room.

I'd have more to say if it was mine but I've only played with it for a few minutes.
    I might dump my 32gig 3GS that has done me well so far if it can meet her work demands.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Got my wife the AT&T version of the Evo on sat. Her Iphone was crapping out, running supper slow and not getting reception worth a hoot (3G).

That Droid is pretty slick and has some great preloaded programs.

Downfalls I see so far...
    *coming from Iphone it at times is hard to navigate for her

Pros...
    *awesome that when hooked up to a comp ITunes doesn't come up and take over your screen--my pet peeve
    *contact info is more in depth ie b-day, relationship to user, assign to group contacts for messages ect.
    *according to the wife it does not drop calls...we have 3 famous spots for dropped calls, 2 on the highway commute and our living room.

I'd have more to say if it was mine but I've only played with it for a few minutes.
    I might dump my 32gig 3GS that has done me well so far if it can meet her work demands.
    Steve Jobs called, he is "concerned" with your recent purchase...wait...sorry his called just dropped.

Welcome to the Droid side.

HTC Incredible (with OLED screen) waiting on the Motorola Bionic
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Uninstall that app killer ASAP. If anything, it's hurting your battery life.

App killers basically fight with the way that Android is designed to handle application and memory management and end up causing the system to constantly thrash RAM as a result. They're totally counterproductive and only popular because people don't understand Android's architecture.

That said, the EVO does have a reputation for being less than amazing in terms of battery life.

User Tag List