Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet and smart phone discussion thread

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Flashing a custom kernel requires unlocking your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    Would this void the warranty?
    I cannot find any written policy online that states that unlocking the Nexus 7 will void the warranty.

I checked the following locations:
    "Nexus 7 limited warranty" on Google Support site
    "Support Nexus 7 - Warranty Policy" on Asus site

With that said, I also don't know where I put the paperwork that came with my N7, so I can't say for sure that it wasn't mentioned in there somewhere.

As a general best practice, think of it as you would most other manufacturer warranties. For example, most firearm manufacturers say that their warranty is void if you modify their weapon with aftermarket parts. But 99% of the time that just means, "We won't support this item if you were the one who destroyed it." For example, if you asked Glock to look at your brand new pistol because it was keyholing, I doubt they'd say, "Well, you put in a TD magazine release. We can't support it."

If you unlock your Nexus 7 and later have hardware failures of some kind, I would bet you money that it will still be supported (assuming you're still within the warranty period). If you unlock your Nexus 7 and then screw up the entire system and file structure, don't expect Google or Asus to fix it. That said, however, it's absurdly easy to start the device over from scratch, and the device can be "re-locked" back to a factory state before you send it in. If it's in such bad shape that you can't even power it on enough to reset it to factory status, then it's in bad enough shape that they won't be able to tell what you have or haven't done with it.

I've never had experience with Google/Asus support directly, but I had to send in a Samsung Galaxy Nexus for warranty replacement because the charging port was damaged. Before I sent it back, I reset it back to stock and locked it up again (I had previously unlocked it and customized every facet of the device). The effort wasn't even neccessary though: they sent me the replacement before I sent them back the defective unit, and it was obvious it just went to some factory for destruction/recycling/refurbishing/whotheheckknows.

I have seen them on Ebay for about $50.00 less than the big box retailers and they are "new" but unlocked. Any problem with one of those as long as it comes from here in the US?
    I'm not sure what to say. Personally, I would prefer to purchase directly from Google.

If the issue is saving money, I would check to see what promos are running. For example, Google sometimes gives Play Store credit with device purchases. You could use said credit for music, movies, apps, or games.

If the issue is having the device unlocked for you, I wouldn't buy it that way from someone.

The process to unlock the device is very simple. The longest part of the process is waiting for your desktop OS to install the drivers necessary to communicate with your N7 over USB debugging. If you aren't yet ready to undertake that process on your own, then you won't be comfortable doing the stuff that actually requires it to be unlocked. Flashing a new kernel, for example, is a more complicated process than unlocking the device to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I cannot find any written policy online that states that unlocking the Nexus 7 will void the warranty.

I checked the following locations:
    "Nexus 7 limited warranty" on Google Support site
    "Support Nexus 7 - Warranty Policy" on Asus site

With that said, I also don't know where I put the paperwork that came with my N7, so I can't say for sure that it wasn't mentioned in there somewhere.

As a general best practice, think of it as you would most other manufacturer warranties. For example, most firearm manufacturers say that their warranty is void if you modify their weapon with aftermarket parts. But 99% of the time that just means, "We won't support this item if you were the one who destroyed it." For example, if you asked Glock to look at your brand new pistol because it was keyholing, I doubt they'd say, "Well, you put in a TD magazine release. We can't support it."

If you unlock your Nexus 7 and later have hardware failures of some kind, I would bet you money that it will still be supported (assuming you're still within the warranty period). If you unlock your Nexus 7 and then screw up the entire system and file structure, don't expect Google or Asus to fix it. That said, however, it's absurdly easy to start the device over from scratch, and the device can be "re-locked" back to a factory state before you send it in. If it's in such bad shape that you can't even power it on enough to reset it to factory status, then it's in bad enough shape that they won't be able to tell what you have or haven't done with it.

I've never had experience with Google/Asus support directly, but I had to send in a Samsung Galaxy Nexus for warranty replacement because the charging port was damaged. Before I sent it back, I reset it back to stock and locked it up again (I had previously unlocked it and customized every facet of the device). The effort wasn't even neccessary though: they sent me the replacement before I sent them back the defective unit, and it was obvious it just went to some factory for destruction/recycling/refurbishing/whotheheckknows.

I'm not sure what to say. Personally, I would prefer to purchase directly from Google.

If the issue is saving money, I would check to see what promos are running. For example, Google sometimes gives Play Store credit with device purchases. You could use said credit for music, movies, apps, or games.

If the issue is having the device unlocked for you, I wouldn't buy it that way from someone.

The process to unlock the device is very simple. The longest part of the process is waiting for your desktop OS to install the drivers necessary to communicate with your N7 over USB debugging. If you aren't yet ready to undertake that process on your own, then you won't be comfortable doing the stuff that actually requires it to be unlocked. Flashing a new kernel, for example, is a more complicated process than unlocking the device to begin with.
    Thank you very much. I don't mind (and in fact actually love) to learn how to do things like this. You have been very helpful. I am still 30-60 days out I think. If you have any links or tips to where I can get instructions on how to accomplish those procedures I would really appreciate the point in the right direction. I prefer to do my own work instead of buying it anyway. Just saw them on Fleabay so I figured I should ask.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Thank you very much. I don't mind (and in fact actually love) to learn how to do things like this. You have been very helpful.
    I'm always thrilled to help other people get involved with this kind of stuff, so you're welcome!

The fact that you love to learn things like this means that you'll have a lot of fun with your Nexus device. Unlike many other DIY endeavors, this is a hobby/project that only requires as much time as you feel like devoting.

Don't want to invest any time in learning the inner workings of the system? No problem: just use it stock.
    Want to just invest a little bit of time? Unlock it.
    Little more time? Root.
    Little more time? Custom kernel, custom rom (operating system), custom whatever...
    More time? Start decompiling other people's work... reverse engineer some basic stuff...
    Lots of time? Set up your own build environment and you can compile yourself an entire rom build from scratch...

...you get the idea.

I am still 30-60 days out I think. If you have any links or tips to where I can get instructions on how to accomplish those procedures I would really appreciate the point in the right direction. I prefer to do my own work instead of buying it anyway. Just saw them on Fleabay so I figured I should ask.
    Here are two good resources:
    [Guide] Nexus 7 Bootloaders/Recoveries/Root/Back to Stock
    [GUIDE] Unlock and Root a Nexus 7

If you need help or advice along the way, don't hesitate to let me know. While I can't promise 24hr support, I'm happy to offer help where I can.

Just a quick note: most guides that you'll see for rooting will point you to ClockworkMod (CWM) as the custom recovery to install. CWM has long been the standard, and most widely-used recovery, so there's nothing wrong with that advice. I've used CWM on numerous devices from 2010 until just a few months ago, when I finally switched over to TeamWin (TWRP). I personally prefer TWRP, but there are countless pro/cons for each. You won't go wrong with either one.

Thanks again for the interesting links, Byron. ClockworkMod is fun, I used that on a rooted Nook Color a while back. My son plays with that tablet now, and has never given it back.

I finally got a chance to play with a couple of our Surface Pro tablets today. They were interesting. We're an Office 365 shop, so the cloud integration is going to be fun to play with.

Nexus 7 + DSLR Controller is pretty kick ass.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Anyone have a new Nexus 7 yet?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not yet but I am really looking strong at it. Trying to decide between a smart phone and the new Nexus 7.

Waiting for the LTE version. The LTE radio is reported to work on the LTE networks of all the US carriers, which is even more appealing than the 1920x1200 screen Then I can transition back to a cheap throwaway phone. I really like my Nexus 4, but with the case it's a little pocket dominant. And although T-Mobile's HSPA+ coverage is good in my area, price shopping any carrier's plan with 1 device is the cat's kitten.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I've been waiting for your review.

I've ordered one with the 32GB and no LTE, and I'll run it using my phone as a wireless hotspot. Then I'll buy a Nexus 5 phone when they ship in October. Pure Android works pretty well for me.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I hear they're more human than a human.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List