Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet and smart phone discussion thread

Byron, thanks very much, that is really sweet. I'm going to show that to a buddy at work that has been experimenting with his backup cameras for a security system.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I want to find a way to hook one up to the CANBUS system in my car to replace the in-dash unit I've got.
    Will you be able to get a Nexus 7 with extraneous blue LED lights?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Otherwise what would be the point?

Sluts notice little details like that.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Otherwise what would be the point?

Sluts notice little details like that.

That cross forum refrence is worth at least one hundred million internetz.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    THE question is...
    How certain are you that EVERYTHING you'll need to do on the road can be accomplished within a web browser?
    I am about 95% certain that everything can be done through a web browser since it all is now done through a web browser. I do have a laptop that I can use I am just looking for something that is more portable because I will need another laptop or netbook or tablet or whatever to cover everybody. As long as the programs I mentioned are supported it should not be an issue and I can "justify" the purchase of the tablet over a netbook or laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Nexus 7 links:

With the same kernel you can also accomplish other multitasking, such as charging your N7 while simultaneously hooking a flash drive up to it and/or a hard drive and/or or peripherals... and/or whatevertheheckyouwant.
    The only kernels I am familiar with come from corn stalks. But if I understand this correctly With this kernel "download" I can use any USB input device and if I need or choose charge the Nexus 7 at the same time. If so I think the Nexus 7 just became my first choice of device that I will be looking to purchase.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Byron, thanks very much...
    My pleasure! Let us know if anything comes of it

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    That cross forum refrence is worth at least one hundred million internetz.
    ^Yea, what this guy said

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    The only kernels I am familiar with come from corn stalks. But if I understand this correctly With this kernel "download" I can use any USB input device and if I need or choose charge the Nexus 7 at the same time. If so I think the Nexus 7 just became my first choice of device that I will be looking to purchase.
    Yes, that is essentially correct. Since you haven't yet purchased the Nexus 7, let me offer two caveats:
    1. Flashing a custom kernel requires unlocking your device. This is a very simple process, and on the Nexus devices is neither discouraged nor disallowed. Still, I mention it because some people don't feel like going through the effort.
    2. Every USB device I've tried so far has worked (flash drives, keyboards, my camera*). Still, just to be on the safe side, I'll stop shy of saying "any" USB device will work, and will say that "almost any" USB device will work.

*For anyone with a Nikon or other PTP compatible camera, I highly recommend checking out DslrDashboard. It gives me complete control of my Nikon D90 DSLR, including liveview. It's a completely free program and it's incredible.
    If you have a camera that isn't compatible with DslrDashboard, I know there are other apps that might work for you, such as DSLR Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    My pleasure! Let us know if anything comes of it

^Yea, what this guy said

Yes, that is essentially correct. Since you haven't yet purchased the Nexus 7, let me offer two caveats:
    1. Flashing a custom kernel requires unlocking your device. This is a very simple process, and on the Nexus devices is neither discouraged nor disallowed. Still, I mention it because some people don't feel like going through the effort.
    2. Every USB device I've tried so far has worked (flash drives, keyboards, my camera*). Still, just to be on the safe side, I'll stop shy of saying "any" USB device will work, and will say that "almost any" USB device will work.

*For anyone with a Nikon or other PTP compatible camera, I highly recommend checking out DslrDashboard. It gives me complete control of my Nikon D90 DSLR, including liveview. It's a completely free program and it's incredible.
    If you have a camera that isn't compatible with DslrDashboard, I know there are other apps that might work for you, such as DSLR Controller

OTG Cable from Amazon on the way, DslrDashboard sent to Nexus now.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I can't wait to get my hands on a Microsoft Surface Pro 128Gb.
    It should be able to replace both my Lenovo T430 laptop and my Samsung 10" tablet work machines.
    "Ultra-tablet" in the field, snap on the keyboard and it's a full power x86 laptop back at the office.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I can't wait to get my hands on a Microsoft Surface Pro 128Gb.
    It should be able to replace both my Lenovo T430 laptop and my Samsung 10" tablet work machines.
    "Ultra-tablet" in the field, snap on the keyboard and it's a full power x86 laptop back at the office.

Good luck with that. Just don't stray too far from an outlet. 4hrs which means in real world use more like 2.5-3hrs.

To others, not sure on others with the iOS hate. Android is more 'advanced' but less 'refined', and I still don't think it's a stable OS.

User Tag List