Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: **NSFW** Two explosions at the Boston Marathon **NSFW**

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Keeping them alive and reporting on everything that ever happens to them in prison only serves as incentive for other lunatics craving attention to one-up each other with more heinous acts so they can become famous. A better solution is after conviction, immediately execute them and then move on with society.
    I don’t recall too many stories recently about anyone at ADX Florence. It’s pretty much the Black Hole of Colorado.

Other than that, how’d that “execute him fast and let’s move on” work out for the Romans about 1,990 years ago?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Other than that, how’d that “execute him fast and let’s move on” work out for the Romans about 1,990 years ago?
    Wow. I did not see that one coming.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

**NSFW** Two explosions at the Boston Marathon **NSFW**

Other than that, how’d that “execute Him fast and let’s move on” work out for the Romans about 1,990 years ago?
    Pretty good; a great number of them were converted and it gave their petering empire a rebirth that lasted 1100 years.

You know, big picture and all.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Wow. I did not see that one coming.
    Well, if the Romans had tossed him into their version of a supermax, Europeans would still be worshiping Zeus/Jupiter, Odin and whatever the hell the Celts worshipped.

Same with Sacco and Vanzetti. The whole martyrdom gig doesn’t fit with doing life in prison.

More to the point, it seemed to me that if any case was ripe for a change of venue, it was this one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Your point being...?
    My point being they are not the same thing.

The appellate decision was perfectly legal as @vcdgrips laid out so well, but it’s not justice.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The option which really matters is that of the victims and survivors of deceased victims.

Boston Marathon bombing survivors react after convict's death sentence overturned: ‘He needs to die’
    “All this does is give him the attention he wants," one survivor wrote

https://www.foxnews.com/us/boston-ma...e-needs-to-die
    100% with Haslet on this. I don't see a lifetime in a bathroom sized cell as punishment befitting his premeditated actions.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

We don’t have a “justice” system. We have a Legal system.
    Your point being...?
    My point being they are not the same thing.

The appellate decision was perfectly legal as @vcdgrips laid out so well, but it’s not justice.

First off, the failings of the justice system are widespread and well-known. All too often, it comes down to a matter of money. You get the justice that you can afford.

Second, it's my uneducated opinion that the ruling was a given. The trial judge may be a respected jurist, but to an outside observer, it's hard to see how an appeal based on failure to grant a change of venue motion could have had any other outcome.

Finally, nobody's contesting guilt in this case. The defendant is going to die in a Federal prison. The question at bar is the timing.

The option which really matters is that of the victims and survivors of deceased victims.

Boston Marathon bombing survivors react after convict's death sentence overturned: ‘He needs to die’
    “All this does is give him the attention he wants," one survivor wrote

https://www.foxnews.com/us/boston-ma...e-needs-to-die
    I disagree. That transforms a justice system or a legal system into a revenge system.

I disagree. That transforms a justice system or a legal system into a revenge system.
    Disagree. Strongly.

There's a time and place for mercy. There's a time and place for rehabilitation. There's a time and place for (swiftly executed) capital punishment. There is justice in each according to the circumstances...imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Exactly.

What about when the family of a murder victim forgive the suspect AND don’t want him/her to be incarcerated? Should the defendant be released? Or should a dispassionate assessment of his or her risk to society come into play, and potentially outweigh the wishes of the victim’s surviving loved ones?

The concept works both ways. Society shouldn’t place important decisions like how to respond to serious crimes in the hands of people who are personally and emotionally affected by the crimes in question, and who may have no grasp of what evidence-based practices could be applied, or no willingness to apply them. The victims are rarely if ever in the best position to decide on a sanction which best serves the interests of the community.

User Tag List