Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes...

Been wearing these for years:

http://www.blundstone.com/au/classic...oots/style-059

The square toe model is sleek enough looking to work with coat and tie but comfortable enough you can hike home ten miles with them on.

I've been wearing Red Wing Iron Ranger boots for about a year now. Old school boot made in America. I clean them every couple of weeks and they still look good. I actually like the hard leather soul as opposed to something more like a tennis shoe.

They take a week or two to break in but are great afterward. I wear them with jeans or slacks to the office.

Site Supporter
    Allen Edmund has been my go to shoe since I was a sales rep for RJR/Nabisco circa 1988. They are my "Court" shoe of choice and have been since I graduated from law school in 92. I still have the maroon pair of wingtips I bought in the summer of 92 though they have been resoled and re healed. i would still have the black ones if I had been more dilligent in rotating them. I now NEVER wear the same pair of dress shoes two days in a row unless I am on the road and am packing light.

The english made Doc Martens were quite durable, comfortable and resoleable. The judicious application of a Sharpie can take the light stiching right out of the equation.

A USSS agent recently sent here has great things to say about ECCO. He says there are very comfortable, quiet, have good traction and can take a decent shine.

IMHO, considering retail pricing, a 100.00 shoe will last 2x as long as a 50.00 shoe. a 200.00 shoe will last 2x as long as a 100 shoe. a 300.00-400.00 shoe can last a lifetime with a bit of TLC.

Even so, you only have one set of feet and one set of eyes, I would never scrimp on shoes or eye pro, even if it costs more.

David

I have a pair of Bruno Magli calf-skin rubber-soled lace-ups, and I will have more.

I love my English-made Doc's. I had to re-sole a pair after a lingering back injury had me limping around like Quasimodo for 6months, but 4 years later, they still look nearly new after a polish. The Doc's manufactured in China don't seem to up as well. +1 on the sharpie for the threads. I suppose I've become a conformist as my oxblood boots don't get out of the closet much unless I'm headed to a Rancid show.

I have traditionally used Eccos, particularly the Helsinki plain toe (four pairs in about twelve years of very heavy international travel). Running and age made my feet a little oddly sized, though, and lately I find Clarks (Dexie plain toe) to be a better choice.

I've had good luck with SAS shoes. Got turned on to them by a nurse long ago who said that every nurse in her unit wore them, 8-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Tried, enjoyed them, stayed with them.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Far out I'm doing well to get six months out of a pair of boots.

I have used red wings they make a good boot, however I'm currently wearing Oliver's they're ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Allen Edmund has been my go to shoe since I was a sales rep for RJR/Nabisco circa 1988. They are my "Court" shoe of choice and have been since I graduated from law school in 92. I still have the maroon pair of wingtips I bought in the summer of 92 though they have been resoled and re healed. i would still have the black ones if I had been more dilligent in rotating them. I now NEVER wear the same pair of dress shoes two days in a row unless I am on the road and am packing light.

The english made Doc Martens were quite durable, comfortable and resoleable. The judicious application of a Sharpie can take the light stiching right out of the equation.

A USSS agent recently sent here has great things to say about ECCO. He says there are very comfortable, quiet, have good traction and can take a decent shine.

IMHO, considering retail pricing, a 100.00 shoe will last 2x as long as a 50.00 shoe. a 200.00 shoe will last 2x as long as a 100 shoe. a 300.00-400.00 shoe can last a lifetime with a bit of TLC.

Even so, you only have one set of feet and one set of eyes, I would never scrimp on shoes or eye pro, even if it costs more.

David
    This. You get what you pay for in shoes. Allen Edmonds are excellent and are often highly recommend by discriminating consumers. There are fancier options, but A-E's are well-made, American-made shoes with solid customer support. (You can get many models re-soled and "Re-crafted" to like new for a reasonable fee, as David suggested.)

For knocking around and walking I like New Balance and Merrills. I use orthotic supports- this can be a big help if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I have 6 pair of Allen Edmonds and the only better American shoe is Alden.

One thing on A&E shoes is that some lasts may not be comfortable on your foot. I'm a half size difference in two different A&E lasts, so you may have to upsize or downsize.
    +1 on the Allen Edmonds. I have three pair in rotation.

I bought Alden Men's Plain Toe Bluchers, about 6 months ago. Very comfortable and can be worn casual to business casual. One problem is that they have a steel shank and set off the metal detectors at the courthouse.

User Tag List