Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Allen Edmonds is having a sale through 4-23. https://www.allenedmonds.com/home
    Thanks for that.

I've been waiting for their big sale to get two new pairs of dress shoes.

I've been walking on a pair of Eccos and Bostonians, both of which have been pretty comfortable (12+ hours at a time) but they certainly don't hold up as well as better shoes. From everything I've read, Allen Edmonds are the threshold into quality built real shoes, so I'm excited to finally give them a go.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A&E Broadstreets in Bone and Walnut for an 11 course tasting dinner last night at the White Pillars in Biloxi.

Name:  broadstreet.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  48.4 KB
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 04-26-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    A&E Broadstreets in Bone and Walnut for an 11 course tasting dinner last night at the White Pillars in Biloxi.

Name:  broadstreet.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  48.4 KB
    BRAVO!

civiliandefender.com

With regards to the AEs specifically, how tight are your guys'? I read that they run long and narrow, so I dropped down a half size and went 1 size wide. There's plenty of room for my toes, but they're a bit tight around the ball/joints where your foot bends.

I think it's enough that it will be okay once they break in and loosen up a little, but figured I'd ask your guys experience with the AEs.

I got two pairs of the 5th Ave cap toe oxfords. One in black, one in dark chili. The build quality is awesome compared to regular quality dress shoes, you can really tell!
    Last edited by TGS; 04-27-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    With regards to the AEs specifically, how tight are your guys'? I read that they run long and narrow, so I dropped down a half size and went 1 size wide. There's plenty of room for my toes, but they're a bit tight around the ball/joints where your foot bends.

I think it's enough that it will be okay once they break in and loosen up a little, but figured I'd ask your guys experience with the AEs.

I got two pairs of the 5th Ave cap toe oxfords. One in black, one in dark chili. The build quality is awesome compared to regular quality dress shoes, you can really tell!
    Those are on the 65 last. Most go down a half length and up a width, this works for me. I'd try some more sizes to get a good fit. You may need to go up anotjer width or just up a half length.
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 04-27-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Those are on the 65 last. Most go down a half length and up a width, this works for me. I'd try some more sizes to get a good fit. You may need to go up anotjer width or just up a half length.
    Do they tend to loosen up a lot with break in, or should I just exchange them now? They have dainite soles, if that changes anything.

Site Supporter
    Do they tend to loosen up a lot with break in, or should I just exchange them now? They have dainite soles, if that changes anything.
    They will loosen a bit to conform to your feet, but I wouldn't count on them stretching to make them fit comfortably. I like Dianite soles but they can take a bit to break in.
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 04-27-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Alden X Leffot Naval Boots in Color 8. Poor photo but very comfortable and they get lots of compliments.

For shoes, healthcare and LE personnel will definitely want some sort of rubber layer for traction, I use the relatively inexpensive Ecco's every day at work, since I can stand in them for 12-18 hours, they handle the muck, detritus, and blood from surgical procedures pretty well, allow rapid movement like running shoes, and don't need much break in. Mephisto is similar.

For nicer shoes, you can run the gamut from the more traditional Allen Edmunds, Alden, Crocket and Jones, to more exotic shoes like DiBianco, Gravati, Heschung, Paraboot, Santoni, on up to the exclusive pinnacles of footwear like Bontoni, Corthay, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, John Lobb, etc...

Much like Canali for suits, the best balance of craftsmanship, style, and cost I've discovered on the US Westcoast for nice footwear is Gravati (I get typically MTO ones with the thin rubber soles); of the exotic high end shoes, Bontoni’s and Gaziano & Girling's with rubber soles work best for my foot. Again, if you are in New York, London, Paris, Milan, Rome, or Naples, you may discover numerous additional options.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Sometimes a certain last might not work with your foot, I have a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds in the 65 last that I got in my Brannock size and they are a little too long, but not so bad that I wanted to return them. It may be good to go to an Allen Edmonds store and have them measure you.

Also if people were unaware, Allen Edmonds has a site that sells factory seconds called shoe bank, I purchased both of my pairs from there for around $200 during a sale, both only had minor imperfections (small scratches in the leather that aren't really noticible unless you are paying very close attention). The types of imperfections that make them factory seconds varies though so you have to pay close attention in case you need to do a return.

Allen Edmonds was recently purchased and has raised prices on shoes, and I have heard some people concerned that the quality may take a dive with the new ownership. They seem to operate on the "Always running a sale" model, so unless you need a pair right now it may pay to wait until they run a sale.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Tag List