Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes...

Shoes...

I need a recommendation on a pair of work/dress shoes for daily wear. I need something durable first and foremost - I'm on my feet a lot and I walk several miles per day, and most work/dress shoes wear out pretty fast for me. Camper, in particular, is on my shit list - I wore through the soles and linings on a pair of Pelotas sneakers in just over a year of daily wear.

Other than that, I need something comfortable, and suitable for both business casual and occasional dress wear. My feet are very normal, average arch, no pronation. Price range is whatever it takes to get something that will last - I won't complain about $300-400. I'm currently looking at the Mephisto Agazio and Ilmar, and the Finn Comfort Metz 1100.

Any advice? Thanks!
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

I was a chef for close to 20 years and spent 9 to 14 hours a day on my feet. My feet ALWAYS hurt, at least until someone turned me on to Red Wing shoes and boots. Very well designed and held up well; I still have my original boots and use 'em for yard work and such.

I understand some models are now being produced in China and have no experience with them. Every pair of the American made boot and shoes I've had have worked very well.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

About a year is all I get with any of the daily worn dressier shoes with the same waking.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have had very good luck with Rockport's line of Dressport shoes.

http://www.rockport.com/mens-shoe-co...efault,sc.html

They are inexpensive enough that you could buy several pairs and rotate them. I've found that rotating my daily wear pairs seems to do a better job of helping my aching little piggies, and extending the life of the shoe at the same time.

I used to be in sales, and would be on my feet for 8-14 hours, probably walking a similar distance as you. The Dressports were very helpful.

Allen Edmonds...built to last and they can be rebuilt. I have not owned a pair, but I would definitely check them out. If you have a Nordstroms near you, they go half off during the mens sale each year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7EpbyzfPE

Chris, Mephistos is what I wear almost exclusively. I still wear my first pair I got in 2001 or 2002. They do look worn, and have been refurbished. My second pair just got an outsole cracked but looks well from outside; I got them in 2004. I got several more. On some of them the lining wore out faster than I expected.
    Mephisto offers refurbishment services such as resoling, repairs etc, that runs from 60 to 140 bucks. I feel as comfortable in mine as I feel in tennis shoes, I like their styling and workmanship enough to tolerate their prices. However, I don't put as much mileage as you do, so I can't say how they'll hold up to that kind of use.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Allen Edmonds...built to last and they can be rebuilt. I have not owned a pair, but I would definitely check them out. If you have a Nordstroms near you, they go half off during the mens sale each year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7EpbyzfPE
    +1 the most comfortable dress shoes out there. The recraft is a steal too. Occasionally they destroy a pair in the recraft process and a new pair arrives for the cost of the recraft. $$$ but worth it.

I have 6 pair of Allen Edmonds and the only better American shoe is Alden.

One thing on A&E shoes is that some lasts may not be comfortable on your foot. I'm a half size difference in two different A&E lasts, so you may have to upsize or downsize.

Seems silly but I would ask how dressy? Formal, Wall Street or business casual. If it is the first two, rockport or good old Florsheim. Although I am an Italian snob, they are quite good for on the feet work. My business casual and also good "traveling for a week and only have room for one extra pair" are surpassingly Merrall's. Also a great airport shoe. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...t?dimensions=0

On the flip side if you are going for pure style and can get over the OJ factor Bruno Magli makes some fine wing tips.

User Tag List