Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 rounds from 5 yards - 9 hits , mostly lower body

18 rounds from 5 yards - 9 hits , mostly lower body

“He pointed it at them and refused direct orders to drop it,” he added.

Three officers fired 18 rounds from about 15 feet away. Mr. Balde sustained nine wounds to his groin, forearm and foot. He was in critical but stable condition at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center on Friday afternoon.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/ny...-fake-gun.html

How do you hit the foot from 5 yards away?

(and if my kids ever get toy guns, they will look like nerf gun, blobby and orange)

We are diminished
    I think I've told this story here before, but...

When I worked at the US Attorney's Office, my section chief was a retired cop. Years earlier, he and a partner were waiting for an elevator on their way upstairs to arrest someone. The elevator doors opened and who should be there but the suspect. All three people drew their guns (all snubby revolvers) and all three emptied them. Somewhere between 15 and 18 shots were fired inside the elevator. No one was hurt.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/ny...-fake-gun.html

How do you hit the foot from 5 yards away?

(and if my kids ever get toy guns, they will look like nerf gun, blobby and orange)
    People often dramatically underestimate the difficulty of making solid hits under the stress of a fight. Where you draw the line of "good enough" in training has a significant impact on the kind of delivery you're going to get when it's the real thing.

Unfortunately most police firearms programs are essentially geared at getting people minimally qualified to handle a firearm...they simply aren't designed to produce true proficiency. Throw that in on top of the difficulties of hitting a human target that is trying desperately not to be hit and you can see why hits to odd places and outright misses happen.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Not to harp on the theme, but...

I once saw video from a c-store shootout in ATL. Both clerk and perp produced large autos, either Berettas or Tauri, and proceeded to bob, duck, and weave while emptying them at each other from across the counter. Apparently, the good guy got gutterballs except for one shot that winged the robber in the upper arm, and the bad guy went 0-for-15. From no more than double arm's length away.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post

Unfortunately that probably won't help. I have in my office a bulletin from the Baltimore PD showing a 870 shotgun hidden in a super soaker water gun that they took off some hood. Most LEOs I talk to now a days have told me that if someone points what looks like it may be a gun at them and that person fails to obey commands they will respond with lethal force. Orange rings on the muzzle.or looking like it could be a toy be dammed. To many officers have seriously injured or killed with what looked to be a toy for them to take a chance.

Unfortunately it's what our world has come to.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Mossberg 12 ga in Power Soaker:

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    To many officers have seriously injured or killed with what looked to be a toy for them to take a chance.
    Then the average everyday joe should have the same "right" to make such judgment calls, the life of a a LEO is not a bit more important than the life of a non LEO.

One of the most entertaining calls I had ever worked was two gang-bangers who got into it with some average Joe who was too SAOAFR to realize these guys meant business about who gets to use the open gas pump first.

Both bangers whip out the jammies and start flak blasting at Joe from just a few feet away. In shock, Joe just stands there and gets a minimal gunshot graze to the arm. Funny part was that bad guy #1 also shot bad guy #2 in the leg, all while they were abreast of each other and shooting at Joe.

Bad guy #1 had just gotten out of prison, where he had gone for a weapons violation ref an incident where he was trying to do a drive by on a rival gang member and shot his own girlfriend instead, she was driving the car at the time of said drive-by.

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Then the average everyday joe should have the same "right" to make such judgment calls, the life of a a LEO is not a bit more important than the life of a non LEO.
    They do, who said otherwise?

Wow, that shotgun hidden in a nerf gun, and the implications it carries for how nerf guns need to be handled is eye-opening.

And these are some great stories from everyone. Not sure how two guys can hit eachother standing abreast of each other, but I imagine they have the worst grip in the world.

User Tag List