Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blood Lead Level

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    Not just for lead, the chemicals in solvents are not so good for you and are easily absorbed.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner...

There also may be lead in the water you drink,lead pipes or solder?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I had my serum Pb tested and I am within normal range. Phew.

I’ve been naughty.

Level came back at 19 (previously 5-6).

I figured it would be high from the PCC and rimfire shooting.

Might have to change a couple things in the routine.

I had some pretty high lead and mercury levels about 15 years ago. I believe the lead level was around 18. I did a chelating routine for a few months and it was gone.

The lead poisoning came from loading lead shot without gloves or a mask and possibly shooting trap. I don't use any lead anymore unless it's coated. I always shoot outdoors. Our range tested the air in a building they use for 22 pistol competition. High levels were discovered. They spent a truck load of money to install a new venting system.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

i’m glad I ran across this thread,… I had my lead levels tested about a year into my getting into shooting. It was 1.2
    2 years later I tested again and it’s more than doubled. I had been shooting for about a year when I got it taken the first time. The only thing different is that I have since acquired some steel targets, and since I don’t have property that I can shoot on, I have to load them in my car take them out to the state game area set them up shoot them load them back into my car. They’re covered in fragments of bullet, so I assume that that’s where I got the extra lead exposure.

How often do you recommend getting tested? Especially if you notice that levels are climbing. I won’t say I’m obsessive about it, but I do have di lead soap, and the lead cleansing wipes, which I use after the rain session on my hands, forearms and face. I don’t change my shoes. I don’t change my clothes when I go home I didn’t think there would be that much lead exposure from off-gassing primers etc. Was I wrong?

I’ve asked the RSO’s’s at the range about their testing. And even though they work there, and spend days in in the lanes were shooters. None of them mention their lead levels rising dangerously high. I have to admit I was a little shocked to hear some of you guys talking about levels of size 9 and 18 and what not, especially when the reportable level is a five.

am I just being a nervous Nellie,… Or is this something I should pay more attention to?

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    i’m glad I ran across this thread,… I had my lead levels tested about a year into my getting into shooting. It was 1.2
    2 years later I tested again and it’s more than doubled. I had been shooting for about a year when I got it taken the first time. The only thing different is that I have since acquired some steel targets, and since I don’t have property that I can shoot on, I have to load them in my car take them out to the state game area set them up shoot them load them back into my car. They’re covered in fragments of bullet, so I assume that that’s where I got the extra lead exposure.

How often do you recommend getting tested? Especially if you notice that levels are climbing. I won’t say I’m obsessive about it, but I do have di lead soap, and the lead cleansing wipes, which I use after the rain session on my hands, forearms and face. I don’t change my shoes. I don’t change my clothes when I go home I didn’t think there would be that much lead exposure from off-gassing primers etc. Was I wrong?

I’ve asked the RSO’s’s at the range about their testing. And even though they work there, and spend days in in the lanes were shooters. None of them mention their lead levels rising dangerously high. I have to admit I was a little shocked to hear some of you guys talking about levels of size 9 and 18 and what not, especially when the reportable level is a five.

am I just being a nervous Nellie,… Or is this something I should pay more attention to?

After indoor ranges, I usually wipe the bottoms of my shoes to prevent tracking in the garage and car.

Some historical perspective, for those of us GenX and older, we were born and lived with higher lead levels in our childhood.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.38.26 AM.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  50.4 KB

Even further back and the levels were much higher. Leaded gasoline and paint.

For context, this is data from China....

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.46.09 AM.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

More lead in the system probably isn't good. But that's the context.

I'm going to try and implement more abatement procedures and shoot less leaded primers. I normally shoot Syntech (leadless primers and fully jacketed) but since starting PCC and Steel Challenge, I have been more lax about ammunition choices.

I also joined an indoor range and have shot there a lot in the past year. The ventilation is pretty good and it's not crowded which is a bonus.

But for shits and grins, I ordered this and will experiment with adding more "wind" to my stall with a battery powered fan....

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.29.41 AM.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  61.8 KB

I figure that if outdoor shooting historically has less exposure, more indoor breeze would be a good thing.

Realistically speaking, if I get down to a static 5-10 that's probably good enough for the amount I shoot and the enjoyment of the sports.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    After indoor ranges, I usually wipe the bottoms of my shoes to prevent tracking in the garage and car.

Some historical perspective, for those of us GenX and older, we were born and lived with higher lead levels in our childhood.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.38.26 AM.jpg
Size:  50.4 KB

Even further back and the levels were much higher. Leaded gasoline and paint.

For context, this is data from China....

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.46.09 AM.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

More lead in the system probably isn't good. But that's the context.

I'm going to try and implement more abatement procedures and shoot less leaded primers. I normally shoot Syntech (leadless primers and fully jacketed) but since starting PCC and Steel Challenge, I have been more lax about ammunition choices.

I also joined an indoor range and have shot there a lot in the past year. The ventilation is pretty good and it's not crowded which is a bonus.

But for shits and grins, I ordered this and will experiment with adding more "wind" to my stall with a battery powered fan....

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.29.41 AM.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  61.8 KB

I figure that if outdoor shooting historically has less exposure, more indoor breeze would be a good thing.

Realistically speaking, if I get down to a static 5-10 that's probably good enough for the amount I shoot and the enjoyment of the sports.
    Thanks for posting that chart. Im one of those “Boomer/GenX cusp kids. I remember leaded gas and leaded paint lead solder, etc.. although I thought all of that lead banning had happened earlier. like late 60s early 70s or something. I didn’t realize I was already a obnoxious driving teenager by the time they got rid of leaded gas. 🤣

That said, I’m surprised my lifetime level of lead was only at 1.2 when I first got tested.

at any rate, I’m gonna have to take a few more precautions, I think. I shoot mostly at an indoor range, I assume all the ammo I buy has lead in the primer,…. And I usually shoot 200 to 300 rounds of the pop confined in that little stall. So maybe along with that, and being more careful about handling my steel targets after shooting them, I can do something about reducing my exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Modern ventilation systems for ranges are generally designed to suck the air downrange from the shooting positions, so it'd be counter-productive to sit a fan on the bench in front of you, blowing air back at you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Modern ventilation systems for ranges are generally designed to suck the air downrange from the shooting positions, so it'd be counter-productive to sit a fan on the bench in front of you, blowing air back at you.
    Lol, I’m not that silly. The fan goes behind me (hence the stand). Augmented, directed flow.

User Tag List