Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Lead Level

Blood Lead Level

I had a full blood analysis done last week and I included a lead level check. Unfortunately it came back a little high at 5.4. The OSHA range is .0 - 4.9.

I was a little surprised because I shoot exclusively outdoors. I don't eat or smoke on the range, etc. I'm conscientious about avoiding ingestion, I wash my hands frequently before and after shooting.

The only thing I can think of is inhalation from the inexpensive cast lead bullets I've been shooting/reloading during this ammo drought.

Since lead poisoning can kill you or significantly decrease the quality and longevity of your life, I've had to think seriously about where I go from here.

A few things I'm willing to do before I get retested in a few months:

First try some popular coated lead bullets to reduce the airborne lead particulate when I shoot. I just received an order of Precision moly coated bullets and I've got a back order in with bayou bullets. The best would be complete metal jacket bullets, but I can't afford that with the amount of rounds I shoot.

Second thing I'm going to do is wear an N95 mask every time shoot in order to further limit inhalation.

Third thing is to step up my decontamination habits, e.g., dedicated range clothes, shower after shooting, and I purchased some D-lead soap and wipes from Amazon.

Fourth thing is to include some detox supplements intended to remove heavy metals from the body, e.g., Chlorella.

If my lead level hasn't gone down significantly when I get retested in a few months then I'm going to discontinue shooting for several months and see if that helps.

Searching on other forums, my lead level is comparatively low to others who shoot exclusively indoors, but I can't tolerate even the slightly raised level. One of my commitments in life is to live healthy and if shooting won't allow me to do that, then shooting will have to go.

I'm really bummed out because I love shooting. It's my favorite hobby. I train, compete, and conceal carry almost every day of my life. I'm hoping that I can continue training and that my aforementioned methods will work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

God Bless,
    David

Some folks I shoot with had elevated lead levels. Their doctor told them to either take calcium supplements or drink milk after shooting - the calcium supposedly bonded with the lead. That may be worth investigating.

Have you considered testing your water? From seeing other people talk about lead levels, it seems awfully strange for your shooting/reloading habits to cause an unsafe lead level in your blood.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Not exactly, at least by my understanding of mineral uptake. Your body will treat lead like it does calcium and put it into your bones. If your system is maxed out on calcium then your body doesn't do this.

Eitherway, a lot of people don't get enough calcium, which is it's own issue.

I have had elevated blood levels of 22mcg/DL in early 2012, 12mcg/DL in late 2012 and just recently at 16mcg/DL.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that BLLs among all adults be reduced to <25 µg/dL. The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration highest allowable level is 40 µg/dL. The average BLL of all adults in the United States is <3 µg/dL." The 5mcg/DL trigger number is related to children. See here: http://www.nchh.org/Portals/0/Conten...osure_Recs.pdf . Until you have finished growing, even small amounts of lead can lead to nervous system problems including lower IQ, nervous conditions, and in higher concentrations worse. See an article here on adults: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_B...d_Surveillance Also, good links on Hygenall web site. http://www.hygenall.com/reference.html The CDC gave them the formula to make a soap that removes lead from your skin. Note that lead does not wash off with regular soap because it is the wrong pH and clings to the skin. Use Hygenall or D-Wipes to get it off before it absorbs.

My doctor told me that I should watch for any symptoms of lead poisoning: shakes, twitching, drowsiness, headaches, trouble sleeping, extreme exhaustion, etc. He said that if it gets over 25 he will have to recommend me to the Health Dept for further consideration of how to minimize exposure, and that anything over 40mg/DL requires Chelation treatment. So I am no doctor but 5mg/DL doesn't sound serious. I was already using D-Wipes and Hygenall Wipes to remove lead after shooting and cleaning guns, etc. My doctor recommended that I start using latex gloves whenever picking up brass or when cleaning my guns or when handling ammo or when exposed to lead.

That is not to say you shouldn't take precautions. There are three ways to ingest lead: Orally, through inhalation and absorbed through the skin. I think almost all of my exposure is orally and the skin. I do shoot at ranges that are sometimes smokey, and I do keep a lead filter mask for that rare time when it is think, but the concentration is low in smoke and I only shoot once-twice a week...not enough for it to be a major factor. When I shoot IDPA I am picking up brass and the ranges (indoor and outdoor) have heavy concentrations of lead in the soil and, thus, on the casings. Also, at indoor ranges, when you sweep up your casing, you will see grey "dirt." That is pure lead....be really careful with inhaling the lead particles when sweeping up or when outdoor and it is dry and dusty. You might want to put on the mask when sweeping up.

The MOST IMPORTANT prevention is to clean your hands with Hygenall or D-Wipes after being exposed to lead. I wash my hands twice, then wipe them twice with D-Wipes. Also, don't forget your face and areas around your mouth.

Here are some other things to think about:
    --- Change your clothes and take a shower immediately after being exposed to lead and wash them before reuse;
    --- Do not shake out the contaminated clothes otherwise you create lead dust that can be ingested;
    --- Wash those clothes separately and run a rinse cycle in the washer before washing other clothes, especially if you have children. You don't want their clothes getting contaminated;
    --- Keep one pair of shoes/boots for the range/shooting, and take them off and put them in a large plastic bag and close off the bag and use non-contaminated shoes for normal use. When you take off your contaminated boots or put them on, you just picked up lead on your hands;
    --- Do not eat or drink in areas contaminated by lead. I carry a few protein/health bars with me and I carefully open the package in a safe area and eat the bar without letting it touch my hands or skin. When I drink water I am careful to use resealable bottles and don't let my hands get on the opening where I drink;
    --- Shoot plated bullets to reduce lead exposure. TMJ bullets are plated on the powder side and even better at reducing lead exposure;
    --- Use latex gloves when picking up brass, handling ammo, reloading, cleaning your guns/mags, etc.;
    --- Clean your gun regularly so you are reducing lead contamination;
    --- Fatty and Oily foods help the body absorb lead, so avoid them, especially they day you were shooting;
    --- Eating foods rich in calcium and iron help to prevent the lead from being absorbed, mainly by taking it's place. Foods high in vitamin C help iron to be absorbed so don't forget the vitamin C. Eating a balanced diet will provide overall good health helping your body to tolerate the lead;
    --- Wear your mask if you reload;
    --- THINK about all the ways you are picking up the lead through clothing, shoes, guns, ammo, at the range, etc.;
    --- Be aware of what you do with your hands while they are contaminated or may be contaminated...don't let your hands touch your mouth or eyes until you have made them clean.

Basically, lead prevention is not a lot different method than preventing bacterial contamination...just different chemicals involved. Having Hygenall or D-lead always available when you need it is important. Overall awareness of how you get contaminated will help you track the method of ingestion. The OTC chelation agents are either ineffective or possibly dangerous...I would avoid them.

If you have kids, have them checked...even just as a reference for the future. They are the ones most vulnerable to serious consequences.

Let me know if you find more good info...always looking for good ideas or good products to use.
    To your health, sir!
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Based upon the source and the date of a study, it seems the term "safe level" varies somewhat. I had my levels drawn last year and had 9 mcg /dcl and my doctor was not concerned. Prior to the blood draw, I was shooting roughly 2K per month for the previous 10 months or so, mostly at an indoor range. I was using handloads (Berrys Plated) at the time, so I was scrounging and tumbling all of those cases. I would suspect that the tumbler would be the main source, as well as inhalation at the range. This was also around my last AFHS class with Todd. I also instruct and am generally around gunfire. I have since made adjustments in my activities and hopefully my next test will be lower. One other thing that I changed was the method of handwashing. I did not realise that hot water opened up the pores of the skin to exposure. At the time I always washed with hot water, because everyone knows hot water cleans better right?

Here is an article from the NIH stating that 20 mcg / dcl is normal.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003360.htm
    Last edited by CCT125US; 04-14-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

have you ever had your blood tested before? if not, it's possible that your lead levels will not change even if you stop shooting.
    My levels have been dropping quite nicely since we redid the indoor range at my club, and I'm curious to see how low they will go. my Dr is of the opinion that it should drop to below the concern threshold, but not much below that. My test a few years ago prompted Health Canada to step in and demand to know why it was so high. They were concerned it was work related. Once I get home this week I'll grab all the results I've got and post them so you can see the speed of reduction I've experienced.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

To the OP, it sounds like you reload, correct? Do you wear gloves and a mask when you're reloading? Lots of people focus on the "shooting" as the cause of their elevated BLL, but there are frequently other aspects of being a gun owner that are responsible.

I do reload and have been very conscientious about washing up, but I didn't know, until this thread, that regular soap doesn't remove lead. I will now be using D-lead products.

Rob,

I've never had my lead level checked before. So it very well could have been a little high for quite some time. I'm still not comfortable with that. It will be interesting to see your results. I've been wondering how much my BLL could go down if at all.

We don't have much if we don't have good health.

God bless,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    I do reload and have been very conscientious about washing up, but I didn't know, until this thread, that regular soap doesn't remove lead. I will now be using D-lead products.

Rob,

I've never had my lead level checked before. So it very well could have been a little high for quite some time. I'm still not comfortable with that. It will be interesting to see your results. I've been wondering how much my BLL could go down if at all.

We don't have much if we don't have good health.

God bless,
    David
    Regular soap can remove lead residue, it's just not as effective as d-lead. Also, make sure when you wash up after reloading that you're using cold water. Hot opens the pores that allow lead into the system.

User Tag List