Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Practice Misconceptions - Updated 01-22-19

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Why and what do you think is appropriate instead, if you don't mind (and Jay doesn't mind)?
    I don't want new students' minds poisoned with the idea that in order to press the trigger well, that they have to do it slowly. I want students to recognize early on that the quality of a trigger press is not inherently connected to the time they take to press the trigger.

The trigger can be pressed fast or slow, either well or badly.

It's not that I tell beginning students to press the trigger quickly, it's that I don't want them thinking that it has to be done slowly to be done well. I want them thinking in terms of pressing through the trigger without making the gun move, rather than being speed-focused (trying to do something slowly is a form of speed focus.) I make sure to demonstrate in dry fire, pressing the trigger both with and without disturbing the gun so they can see the difference. When I do this, I don't take a long time to press the trigger. The students also work on this dry right before we first go live.

I also don't emphasize a surprise trigger break. It's fine if that happens while continuously improving the sight picture and continuously adding pressure to the trigger, but it's not a concept I want them concerned about adhering to. It will break down under enough external or internal time pressure. Shooting in smaller amounts of time will ultimately have a person firing at a moment of their choosing. They need to be able to choose to stroke right through the trigger without inducing extra movement. That development can be started pretty quickly with a little bit of dry fire.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I don't want new students' minds poisoned with the idea that in order to press the trigger well, that they have to do it slowly. I want students to recognize early on that the quality of a trigger press is not inherently connected to the time they take to press the trigger.

The trigger can be pressed fast or slow, either well or badly.

It's not that I tell beginning students to press the trigger quickly, it's that I don't want them thinking that it has to be done slowly to be done well. I want them thinking in terms of pressing through the trigger without making the gun move, rather than being speed-focused (trying to do something slowly is a form of speed focus.) I make sure to demonstrate in dry fire, pressing the trigger both with and without disturbing the gun so they can see the difference. When I do this, I don't take a long time to press the trigger. The students also work on this dry right before we first go live.

I also don't emphasize a surprise trigger break. It's fine if that happens while continuously improving the sight picture and continuously adding pressure to the trigger, but it's not a concept I want them concerned about adhering to. It will break down under enough external or internal time pressure. Shooting in smaller amounts of time will ultimately have a person firing at a moment of their choosing. They need to be able to choose to stroke right through the trigger without inducing extra movement. That development can be started pretty quickly with a little bit of dry fire.
    Nicely said, and I'm right there with you.

I think grip is massively under-emphasized on the tactical side of the house. A proper, strong grip will facilitate a decisive trigger manipulation. All too often people manipulate the trigger slowly because their grip is weak... because that's the only way they can get the gun to stay still.

Great point on the grip for sure.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Jay, this may not help much, but I found a noticeable improvement in accuracy and speed when I started to learn to let go of the notion that I had to have a laser focus on the front sight exclusively and slowly press the trigger. Once I learned to just relax and focus on the sights and "row" the trigger, my anticipation problems almost disappeared
    Is there a reason not to press the trigger more quickly?

Site Supporter
    Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm happy that that technique works for you. I'm pretty well versed in that and the spent-case-on-the sight technique. To be brutally blunt - as a teaching method, I've placed it in the category of "parlor trick". I'm not intending to be snarky or dismissive - I've used the above technique for years - but I've kind of deleted it unless it serves a very specific purpose.

The reason why I've deleted it as a teaching technique is that I found that I could get anybody, of any skill level, to do it within 10 minutes. It struck me theat the ability of a new shooter to successfully do this did not translate into any better real trigger control.
    Fair enough. I am interested in the assessments you made on both sides of the drill to evaluate if it was helpful.

As an individual technique, It may work really well for someone, but remember I'm approaching this from an adult learning aspect.
    So, I'm pretty interested to see what you consider adult learning and how it is taught. I'm not sure what you're defining as "adult learning" here.

"adult learning"

Don't get too wrapped around the axle; it's just another way of me saying "from the perspective of an instructor teaching newer shooters".

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Fair enough. I am interested in the assessments you made on both sides of the drill to evaluate if it was helpful.
    It's ponderous, it eats time, it's very difficult to do solo, and you can achieve the desired result (case or coin stays on the front sight) even if you have a lousy, weak grip... if you pull the trigger very slowly and carefully.

There are much easier, more effective methods to train dry trigger control.

I'm not saying the technique is never useful, just that I keep it in the magic hat.

Been following this thread with interest. Is there a good method for learning/practicing a strong grip/flat press in dry fire? I've been working with a LaserLyte training cartridge, looking to minimize laser "wobble" after I press. My trigger press has certainly seen improvement, but I know my grip is lacking. If the coin on the site drill isn't great for working solo - and it doesn't seem to be, since it's incredibly time consuming/annoying to set up - what is something else I can do?
    Sheep Have Wool

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    "adult learning"

Don't get too wrapped around the axle; it's just another way of me saying "from the perspective of an instructor teaching newer shooters".
    . . .who happen to be adults.

Thanks for dragging this necro post back up top.

User Tag List