Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Prerequisites

This is what I have listed on my website in my course descriptions for 2017:

Protective Pistol 2:

Shooters must be able to hit a USPSA head "A Zone" at five yards - on demand. Shooters must also be able to draw, fire one round, reload, then fire two additional rounds (three total) into a USPSA body "A Zone" at seven yards - in eight seconds. Failure to meet these prerequisites will result in dismissal from the event, and does not merit a refund.

You MUST HAVE the following to participate:

ballistic eye protection, filtered hearing protection, sturdy belt, holster, magazine carrier, clothing to conceal your pistol, semi-auto pistol of at least .380 caliber, three spare magazines (more are better), 600 rounds of factory FMJ ammunition, hand held flashlight, weapon lubricant, and a tourniquet

You need to bring lunch.

Protective Pistol 3:

Shooters must be able to shoot an Intermediate Level F.A.S.T. (or better) to participate in Protective Pistol 3. Failure to meet this prerequisite will result in dismissal from the event, and does not merit a refund.

You MUST HAVE the following to participate:

ballistic eye protection, filtered hearing protection, sturdy belt, holster, magazine carrier, clothing to conceal your handgun, semi-auto pistol of at least .380 caliber, three spare magazines (more are better), 600 rounds of factory FMJ ammunition, weapon lubricant, and a tourniquet

You need to bring lunch.

Interesting that this thread has come back up now. I have adopted a prereq for my Critical Pistol Skills class:

This is not a course for the first time student. Enrollment is limited to students who have already completed training from a recognized instructor that included drawing, reloading, etc, under time constraints. Examples of such training are our own Carry Essentials course, Rangemaster’s Combative Pistol 1, Sparrow Defense Defensive Pistol 1, Precision Applications Combat Handgun, etc. Graduates from a law enforcement academy, IDPA Sharpshooter class or USPSA C-class shooters or higher will also be accepted. Please contact me at lee@firstpersonsafety.com with any inquiries.
    This class focuses on malfunction clearing and one handed manipulations, and the equipment list stated pistol and three magazines. I had a person show up for it with a J frame that was missing the front sight. I'm hoping to weed out first timers from coming to this course.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Interesting that this thread has come back up now. I have adopted a prereq for my Critical Pistol Skills class:

This class focuses on malfunction clearing and one handed manipulations, and the equipment list stated pistol and three magazines. I had a person show up for it with a J frame that was missing the front sight. I'm hoping to weed out first timers from coming to this course.
    If you don't mind elaborating, how did that turn out?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    If you don't mind elaborating, how did that turn out?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

As far as the prereqs go, I don't know. The first class since I adopted it will be 1/29. So far, I have been contacted by two people: one who has previously trained with me and one who has other training and was checking to see if it was sufficient.

As for the J-frame, at first I had the student practice the one-handed drawing and shooting. Soon enough, the j-frame proved to be uncomfortable for her, and another student loaned her a Shield 9. She did the best that she could.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List