Thread: How many rounds with new pistol befits you around carry it?

How many rounds with new pistol befits you around carry it?

(Sorry, can't edit title. Dang autofill. Have no idea where "around" came from. "Before you carry it" is what I meant. )

Hi all. After carrying an '84 1911 Officer for 10 years I have decided to switch to a striker-fired polymer 9mm (HK vp9). While I love my 1911 I want more reliability and more capacity.

Obviously they are different beasts with different triggers, different controls, different grips, different recoil, response, etc etc.

I'm curious what people here have experienced when changing formats before they or their students are actually, technically competent to carry in public? (I understand many people feel competent waaaay before the actually are.)

Thanks- Skippy
    Last edited by SkippySanchez; 12-30-2016 at 09:07 AM.

1000 FMJ and 250 to 500 rounds of duty/carry ammo.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Be interested in the replies you get from the experts (I am not one).

I have about 300 rounds through my P30SK LEM, mixed Federal HST and Blazer Brass with 0 malfunctions. I feel ok to carry it at this point.

How do you like the VP9?

Three sessions, 250-350 each session, detailed cleaning after the first one to see if there are any cracks or issues.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    (Sorry, can't edit title. Dang autofill. Have no idea where "around" came from. )

Hi all. After carrying an '84 1911 Officer for 10 years I have decided to switch to a striker-fired polymer 9mm (HK vp9). While I love my 1911 I want more reliability and more capacity.

Obviously they are different beasts with different triggers, different controls, different grips, different recoil, response, etc etc.

I'm curious what people here have experienced when changing formats before they or their students are actually, technically competent to carry in public? (I understand many people feel competent waaaay before the actually are.)

Thanks- Skippy
    Funny stuff Skippy in that title.

It inspired me to read your question a few times to be sure.

It sounds like you aren't asking how to vett the pistol, but rather the pistolero on the new platform/format?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Funny stuff Skippy in that title.

It inspired me to read your question a few times to be sure.

It sounds like you aren't asking how to vett the pistol, but rather the pistolero on the new platform/format?
    Yup. Ran a hundred through it yesterday while fiddling with my grip, finding my sights, etc. I could keep everything on an 8x11 paper @10 yards but just barely at first; it got better toward the end. Going out again today after an extended dry fire routine. The gun runs great; better than me.

My simple answer: It depends.

If it is another example of the same model, it may be a single range session of a few hundred to seven hundred rounds. Depends on how that gun does compared to the one I currently have. My last experience with a Glock 19 led to the latter number.

For a new platform, it takes me months of range time before I feel confident in carrying it. My transition to the P30 took me more than a year and well over 2000 rounds.  Lots of draws from the holster, fire one or two, holster pistol, and repeat. Lucky for me is that my backyard is my range.

The way your question is phrased it's less a question of rounds than of achieving certain personally defined metrics. If you're replacing one platform with another, you would probably want to wait until you can demonstrate to yourself that you can both hit and manipulate with the pistol as well as you could with the incumbent. You'll have to define those metrics for yourself; when I do the same thing I look for a comparable score on this test:
    https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-247.html

Go run that with each pistol. If there's a gap, define it and work on it until there isn't one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The way your question is phrased it's less a question of rounds than of achieving certain personally defined metrics. If you're replacing one platform with another, you would probably want to wait until you can demonstrate to yourself that you can both hit and manipulate with the pistol as well as you could with the incumbent. You'll have to define those metrics for yourself; when I do the same thing I look for a comparable score on this test:
    https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-247.html

Go run that with each pistol. If there's a gap, define it and work on it until there isn't one anymore.
    That's it exactly. Thanks for the link.

I'd say about 500 rounds or so, but I'm a hypocritical piece of shit and my current carry gun has a whopping 80 rounds through it.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List