Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Senate Deal on Background Check Law

Gun Owners of America has compiled a short list of some of the problems. GOA - Ten Really Important Problems with the Toomey-Schumer Sell-out

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'd rather have all bills go to the floor for debate than have the games that both sides play to determine what reaches the floor. It's annoying no matter who's in charge.
    This is true, and I tend to agree with you, but this was sent out of committee when it was basically a blank sheet of paper. There should be some procedural rules where this isn't allowed to happen. The bill that reaches the floor should be what was voted on in committee, not an "we'll fill the pages later and oh...that will probably be offered up as an amendment."

Dt...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Some version of this thing is going to get out of the Senate one way or another; the real fight's in the House.
    The whole Second Amendment Foundation thing is going to create a very interesting dynamic. I don't know what the strategy is though, and I know the NRA and SAF aren't exactly on the best terms with each other, so exactly what's going on behind the scenes is a mystery to me. Are NRA and SAF working together to send a watered down bill to the house where maybe NRA isn't as certain anymore they've got the votes to block a bill?

I agree that this was going to get out of the senate no matter what, and I think it's a positive thing if it gets out as watered down or with as many pro-gun amendments as possible.
    On the other hand, I understand that passing nothing would be the death knell to Bloomberg and gun control in general.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

Manchin-Toomey

After reading Caleb's post on gun nuts, I made sure to email my senators. This fight is probably never going to be over, I am prepared for that. I would expect fellow gun owners to feel the same way. I realize that we may need to pick and choose our battles. I for one, do not want to think that I didn't do everything I could. Please stay in contact with your elected officials on all levels.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/04/16/ho...ur-gun-rights/

Every theory, or supposed "debunking" in that link is wrong.

CCRKBA scuttled the bill, just like a similar amendment did to the WA state universal background check bill.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ril-90117.html
    Last edited by G60; 04-16-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

Scholar David Kopel is not a fan of Manchin-Toomey:

http://www.volokh.com/2013/04/15/the...f-gun-control/
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

I am made deeply uncomfortable by the fact that I agree with GOA on a political issue.

We are diminished
    Senate Rejects Gun Control Bill 54-46

The Senate’s failure to expand background checks means the three pillars of Obama’s gun-control agenda have stalled. The chamber is expected to reject proposals to ban military-style semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/2...#ixzz2QkyQ5Nge
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Obama to speak from Rose Garden at 5:30.

I would give my right arm for press credentials and the first question, just so I could ask: "Mr. President! Mr. President! Who's the sad clown? Awww, who's the sad clown?"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List