Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senate Deal on Background Check Law

We are diminished

Senate Deal on Background Check Law

Roll Call: Manchin, Toomey Prepare to Unveil Gun Deal

The plan is expected to stop short of language currently in the bill that would require background checks on nearly all gun sales, including between private parties. Instead, Toomey aides said, the proposal would require background checks for private sales at gun shows and on the Internet, two areas that are currently exempt.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The media, being totally uninformed on how things work, is not helping me here, and the senators are only marginally better.

I'm waiting to see the actual legislation to determine my level of freakout.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

From an AZCDL email I recieved this morning. I already emailed my senators.

On March 21st, Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) introduced Senate Bill 649 (S. 649) under the deliberately misleading title of the “Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013,” and is attempting to bring it to the Senate floor for a vote as quickly as possible. By all accounts, he has also promised Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) a vote on her proposed ban on semi-automatic firearms and standard capacity magazines as an amendment to S. 649.

The true subject of S. 649 is the requirement to report all firearms transfers to the federal government via “universal background checks.” In reality S. 649 is proposing the universal registration of all firearms and their owners. As history has repeatedly shown us, and is currently being demonstrated in New York, registration is the prelude to confiscation.

While the proposed legislation contains limited exceptions for transfers, such as between family members, a little digging shows that you would be committing a federal felony if you:
    •Leave town for more than 7 days, and leave someone else at home with your firearms;
    •Lend a firearm to a friend to take shooting or to go hunting;
    •Loan a firearm to a family member if they live at a different residence;
    •Hand a firearm to someone at a gun club which is not a shooting range;
    •Teach someone to shoot on your own land, if you hand them the firearm; or
    •Fail to report a firearm as lost or stolen within 24 hours.

S. 649 is unacceptable in any form and compromise is not an option. This bill must be stopped!

The passage of S. 649 will only be possible if enough Republicans sell out and vote in favor of a proposed “Motion to Proceed”, ending a filibuster that 14 Senators have already committed to.

While AzCDL’s focus is primarily on Arizona legislation, we have joined with over 38 state and national organization to form a coalition to defeat the Obama Administration’s “gun control” proposals. As with local legislation, how effective we are depends on your involvement.

Site Supporter
    Waitaminute... does that actually say internet gun sales are exempt from background checks? Really doesn't tell the whole story, does it?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It's a sign of how ridiculous our society has become when we see something in print that's not even close to being correct and we're unsure if the fault lies with the idiot reporters who don't know what they're reporting on or the idiot politicians who don't understand what they're legislating.
    3/15/2016

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's a sign of how ridiculous our society has become when we see something in print that's not even close to being correct and we're unsure if the fault lies with the idiot reporters who don't know what they're reporting on or the idiot politicians who don't understand what they're legislating.
    In this case, I'm fairly certain it's both. The Brady Bunch et al have been fear mongering in the hallways about the danger of those unrestricted internet gun sales.

But frankly, if they're going to pass new gun control laws, I'd prefer them to focus on outlawing things that are already illegal. "In a bold move in the War on Drugs, Congress today voted to make selling heroin illegal..."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    In this case, I'm fairly certain it's both. The Brady Bunch et al have been fear mongering in the hallways about the danger of those unrestricted internet gun sales.

But frankly, if they're going to pass new gun control laws, I'd prefer them to focus on outlawing things that are already illegal. "In a bold move in the War on Drugs, Congress today voted to make selling heroin illegal..."
    Agreed. I'm all in favor of our enemies being complete idiots.

I probably shouldn't be flabbergasted by the prospect of those who claim to be our betters having insufficient intellectual curiosity to try and order one of them there death machines off the interwebs just to see if they could do it before deciding to write laws that ban it, but the part of my brain dedicated to reason just keeps screaming about how utterly moronic it is.

Then the part of my brain that's dedicated to trepidation about the future reminds the rest of my brain that these people are making laws governing healthcare, economics, education, and everything else that's actually important in life. Hence my chimpanzees in a nuclear plant analogy.
    3/15/2016

Any word on whether this has the votes in the house?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Anyone else think the standard for new expansive gun rights bills should be "whatever the Brady Bunch says current law is"? I'd love to go buy a fully automatic weapon off the internet tomorrow with no background check.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Anyone else think the standard for new expansive gun rights bills should be "whatever the Brady Bunch says current law is"? I'd love to go buy a fully automatic weapon off the internet tomorrow with no background check.
    You mean a Bushwacker AK-15 with a 17 clip? Nobody needs one of those to hunt with. They're too powerful, too inaccurate and belong on the battlefield, not the streets of America.

Name:  0a0630752ccbe045d9fa7e2443f1ae04.jpeg
Views: 343
Size:  12.8 KB

User Tag List