Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cane and Derby

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I think the business to be in would be supplying hardware to holster makers. Nearly every lengthy delay I've ever heard of has been "waiting on hardware". That's not just one or two holster makers either. It's frackin' nuts.
    and silencer parts.

That has less to do with hardware being hard to get and more to do with an unwillingness (or lack of cash flow) to stock up, and an inability to understand logistics and lead times. When you understand material expediting and procurement it's easy, when you don't even know what those words mean it's hard.

No customer should ever have to be told by a manufacturer that they are waiting on materials. That excuse gets used as if it's a get-out-of-jail-free card and it is not, and does not convey the idea of "it's not my fault" that it's clearly meant to either.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    No customer should ever have to be told by a manufacturer that they are waiting on materials. That excuse gets used as if it's a get-out-of-jail-free card and it is not, and does not convey the idea of "it's not my fault" that it's clearly meant to either.
    QFT

Planning
    Budget
    Inventory Control
    Communication

Simple right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    and silencer parts.

That has less to do with hardware being hard to get and more to do with an unwillingness (or lack of cash flow) to stock up, and an inability to understand logistics and lead times. When you understand material expediting and procurement it's easy, when you don't even know what those words mean it's hard.

I agree - when you quote an 8 week lead time and can't procure the correct screws it is totally unacceptable. Stock up, get multiple vendors, adjust lead times - really do anything except finally get to a holster, look in the screw bin and realize it's empty then complain when you can't get hardware the next day and act like it's not your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I agree - when you quote an 8 week lead time and can't procure the correct screws it is totally unacceptable. Stock up, get multiple vendors, adjust lead times - really do anything except finally get to a holster, look in the screw bin and realize it's empty then complain when you can't get hardware the next day and act like it's not your fault.
    I wonder how hard it is for these small holster makers to figure out demand chain management given that the flow of business is probably erratic and based on word of mouth advertising. You might be unknown one week and the new hotness the next. Still it's not like they lose a ton of money from warehouse inventory when that warehouse consists of bins out in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    justcor, did you end up receiving your order?
    Yes I did. The excuses and total lack of communication I experienced were ultimately addressed but I question why customer service was so hard to reach. The build quality is excellent on the holster but to be honest the new PIC is just a large wedge bolted to the older design. The holster is quite large with the PIC attached and frankly given the other options on the market I will not be keeping it. I've been using the AIWB model from JM Custom Kydex and find it tucks and sits very close to the CCC Shaggy with the ride height about 1/8 inch higher. My brief review is located here http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...holster-review

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    I wonder how hard it is for these small holster makers to figure out demand chain management given that the flow of business is probably erratic and based on word of mouth advertising. You might be unknown one week and the new hotness the next. Still it's not like they lose a ton of money from warehouse inventory when that warehouse consists of bins out in the garage.
    I question that they can't order the hardware when the order is placed. When you are looking at 30-90 day lead times you should be able to either assign from inventory or order hardware as necessary when orders come in - or at least once a week. The problem should at least be known at week 1.5-2 and communication could occur at that point, not when the product is due/late and the customer is calling - "Umm, your holster isn't ready yet because we don't have the hardware isn't really acceptable" - You wouldn't accept that in other industries - "Umm, I know you dropped your car off for an oil change 6 hours ago, but we don't have any oil. No, we weren't going to tell you we figured you'd be OK with picking it up in three days"

Quote Originally Posted by justcor View Post
    I've been using the AIWB model from JM Custom Kydex and find it tucks and sits very close to the CCC Shaggy with the ride height about 1/8 inch higher. My brief review is located here http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...holster-review
    Thanks, I've posted some questions for you in that thread!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I question that they can't order the hardware when the order is placed. When you are looking at 30-90 day lead times you should be able to either assign from inventory or order hardware as necessary when orders come in - or at least once a week. The problem should at least be known at week 1.5-2 and communication could occur at that point, not when the product is due/late and the customer is calling - "Umm, your holster isn't ready yet because we don't have the hardware isn't really acceptable" - You wouldn't accept that in other industries - "Umm, I know you dropped your car off for an oil change 6 hours ago, but we don't have any oil. No, we weren't going to tell you we figured you'd be OK with picking it up in three days"
    This is one of the things that really bothers me about my experience thus-far with C&D, coupled with their complete unwillingness to respond to my inquiries (unless I'm so lucky as to catch someone on the phone). With their twitter account, facebook, Cane & Derby "news page," etc., it would be all too easy for them to give status updates on production if they've begun to double their stated lead times due to component shortages. From my perspective, if they can't ship holsters because they're waiting on parts, they should have the free time to respond to customer inquiries. I have no doubt that someone, at some point over the past 3 + weeks, has read my emails, ticket request, etc., and simply made a conscious decision not to respond to me because they couldn 't be bothered, which I find to be completely unacceptable. This isn't their first dance with parts shortages either - the C&D threads are full of posts where customers were told that holsters were waiting on belt loops to ship...or bolts...or that they never received inquiry emails. When bdcheung received the detailed email from Ian regarding their new email system, production process, and 4 week lead time, I felt comfortable in believing that C&D had turned a new leaf and was moving the way of Raven Concealment. I'm concerned I made the wrong decision. I'd cancel the C&D order on principle if I wasn't so desperate to get an AIWB that has enough of a tuck function to conceal my G19; Lord knows how long it will take if I start over with someone else.

By contrast, I placed an order for a Raven Phantom for OWB carry for my G19 on February 21st. Since that time, I've received no less than 4 unsolicited status updates from them, the most recent one stating that my order has been completed and sent to the shipping department.

This is a strange first post here but...

partially base on this thread I am going to cancel my order with C&D. Its only been 4-5 weeks but I didn't get a reply to an email a week or so ago just asking what their lead time was. I really wouldn't mind waiting, I'm in no particular rush, but the consistent lack of communication by this Co just isn't good. That's no way to run a business imo. Just tell me it'll be X months and deliver on that and I'd be fine. I don't facebook or tweet but even their stuff there all seems out of date and basically ignored - like some customers are saying they have been treated.

Too bad about all this because it appears that they put out a good product when they can.

I will be putting a Cane & Derby Pardus AIWB Glock 19 Holster and PIC AIWB P30 Holster up for sale here shortly.

I no longer have a need for the G19 Pardus and for my skinny body type the PIC just does not seem to be the solution for AIWB.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are interested in either of these holsters without the long wait time, both are brand new; worn no more than a few days.

User Tag List