Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: muzzle brake optons for DD 10.3"bbl MK18 SBR

I wouldn't consider a brake at all. Not on anything in the AR world anyway. I guess if one was shooting 3 gun, or something.......but a brake on an SBR does nothing than ruin your hearing, and piss off anyone within about 10 feet.

I like the AAC Blackout flash hider, to hide flash. It's not the end all, be all, but is far more effective than anything in the brake world, and I just can't see the need for a brake on a 556, 6.5, 6.8, 762, etc. The BattleComp's are ok, but just ok. Not enough benefit to justify having one on my rifle, and way too much flash for my tastes.

If recoil is a concern, take the $150 for new front end hardware and spend it on some top end software instead. And a few minutes a day in the gym.

If the gun comes with an A2 birdcage, I don't know that I'd feel the need to change it. I probably would if I had an AAC 51T hanging around extra, but I'm not sure I'd buy one right off the bat.

All good advise. Please keep it coming.

Also know this, my intent is not to "dress up" my SBR. If it doesn't serve a real, legit purpose ... that actually applies to my situation ... then I have no desire for it. My "need" is for a HD gun that won't be wearing a can any time soon, if ever. I won't be shooting a bunch indoors, hopefully NEVER actually.

If the benefit of any of these devices is only marginal ... or not a really something the average user would really notice then it probably isn't for me.

muzzle brake optons for DD 10.3"bbl MK18 SBR

FYI, the DD MK18 comes with their own DD flash hider, which looks substantially similar to the A2, but is different. No idea on the performance differences. Maybe a more precision version for A2 compatible suppressors?

https://danieldefense.com/media/cata...dd-08061_4.jpg
    http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...343/343064.jpg

ETA: From DD's site:
    "The Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor is designed to reduce muzzle flash. Manufactured from aerospace 17-4 stainless steel and salt bath nitride finished, there's minimal chance of corrosion. The Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor comes in standard or extended length and 1/2 x 28 TPI or 5/8 x 24 TPI.
    Thread: 1/2 x 28 TPI or 5/8 x 24 TPI
    Length: Standard (1.875") or Extended (2.25")
    Note: The Standard Length with 1/2 x 28 TPI is compatible with Advanced Armament Omni, Gemtech Halo, KAC NT-4 QDSS."
    Last edited by wilco423; 04-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.

The Mk18 contract requirement is that the device readily accept the KAC QDSS....it's an A2, with external dimensions compatible with the suppressor. Performance is the same as the A2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    The Mk18 contract requirement is that the device readily accept the KAC QDSS....it's an A2, with external dimensions compatible with the suppressor. Performance is the same as the A2.
    Slight thread drift, what are your thoughts on the KAC can Sean?
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

The PWS Triad is suppose to be a compromise between flash suppression and muzzle flip reduction (though apparently it doesn't do anything about overall recoil); might be worth looking into. Some of the guys on M4C have stated that it seems to work as advertised, with great flash and muzzle flip reduction and no perceptible added blast. jstyer had one, maybe he can chime in on it.

User Tag List