Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Gunstore Advice

Bad Gunstore Advice

Anyone who's spent any amount of time in a gun store has seen it: employees dispensing terrible advice to customers. For whatever reason, the average off-the-street Joe seems to think that gun store employees are both blessed with privileged knowledge and somehow different from salespeople in other industries.

What's some of the bad advice you've seen handed out wholesale in a gun store?

Personal pet peeve, though tame in comparison to some of the posts I'm sure this thread will get, is the man behind the counter helpfully directing anyone that looks like a female toward mouse guns so that she can have "something you can handle," unlike those full-caliber guns that would surely break her wrists.

.45gap = .45acp

Customer asked what the difference was. Response, "Nothing. They are the same."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    What's some of the bad advice you've seen handed out wholesale in a gun store?
    First pistol I ever bought was a Taurus PT-99. Gun shop guru told me it was just as good as the Beretta I wanted, cost less, and could be carried cocked & locked so of course it was tons easier to shoot.

When I asked about home defense ammo, he drew his Glock, popped out the magazine, and showed me how he epoxied primers into the nose of his JHPs "so they explode when they hit someone."

Telling someone who's clearly never handled a pistol before that the Glock's short trigger reset will help him kill the bad guy who barges into his bedroom at night.

That customer had a long way to go before a short trigger reset would help him at all. And he'd probably never get there.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

When I asked about home defense ammo, he drew his Glock, popped out the magazine, and showed me how he epoxied primers into the nose of his JHPs "so they explode when they hit someone."
    I must admit---I have never heard that one before. To quote the guys on ESPN----"Come on, man!!"

"You can shoot a 9mm Makarov in any 9x19- the Russians designed it that way"

Or

"You can shoot 5.56 out of an AK-74, I learned that in the Army"....

I was at the Arundel Mills store a few years ago and was looking for .357 SIG ammo.

Seeing none on the shelf, I asked the guy at the gun counter.

I was told "We're a family oriented store, and we don't stock calibers like that". I wasn't aware that the .357 SIG was a non family oriented caliber. Perhaps it inspires infidelity, or something.

I left the store and have not returned.

Experiences like this are the reason I'd rather get a root canal than visit most gun stores these days......

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Experiences like this are the reason I'd rather get a root canal than visit most gun stores these days......
    Funny you say that. I find most of my real "gun guy" friends and I feel the same way. I have on local shop I like but other than that I tend to avoid gun shops. Most are full of retail sales people and NOT gun people. Sadly, they are full of bad advice/info and and large price tags.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Oddly enough, it's just as bad on the other side of the counter. It grinds me to death when I volunteer at my friend's store (or in general) talking to people who ask tons of in depth questions and then buy a Taurus Judge.

"You really need to buy this FNH 5.7 it's only been a year since the Ft Hood thing and they are going to outlaw the best pistol ever mad, better get it while you can!"

"We are charging more for that 7.62 ammo because Hillary has struck a deal to ban the import it just has not made the news yet and the American made stuff if twice as much"

Customer: "How much are your AR15"

Store: "They start out at $700.00 and go up to $2500.00"

C: "What's the difference"

S: "None just the money spent on advertising. They all suck your really need to buy a AK if you want a great universal rifle"

C: "Why?"

S: "AR's are for video gamers. You can't kill anything with them. An AK will blast everything."

"S&W M&P is the NEW GLOCK."

"You don't want a Kydex holster everybody in the know uses a Galco Leather holster off the shelf. Kydex gets too hot and can cause bullets to go off while still in the mag."

All last month in one visit while waiting for a shooting lane to open!

User Tag List