Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: anatomy of a lounge-around gun

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I absolutely get the value of a J frame for pocket carry in a NPE situation or as a BUG.

That said, I think carrying a J frame because it is comfortable, when comfort or effort is the only thing preventing you from carrying a real pistol, is a very slippery slope. Even though I have a lot of experience shooting revolvers, mostly big bore ones, I can't thing of any real shooting scenario where I would not feel seriously compromised with a 5 shot J frame.
    Interesting perspective. I can't think of any realistic shooting scenario within the "lounge around" parameters where I would feel a 5-shot J-frame compromised my abilities to any realistic degree.

Seems like the post ECQQ cool boy thing is no spare mag with your service pistol on the street and a J at home. Wonder if the prosecutor in TX and the head of CO prisons would have thought a J a good choice at home?
    I bet either of them would have liked to have been able to access any gun at all, and given the scenarios I'm not sure it would have mattered much if it were a 5-shot J or a 17-shot Glock.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Sadly for me in CT, in my home is the only place where I can carry my higher capacity guns these days...

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Interesting perspective. I can't think of any realistic shooting scenario within the "lounge around" parameters where I would feel a 5-shot J-frame compromised my abilities to any realistic degree.
    I can't think of any scenario that involved actual shooting where the the J frame would NOT compromise my ability compared to a 9/40/45 service pistol and a spare mag, based on:

1) the terminal effectiveness of .38 versus modern 9/40/45.

2) 5 .38 cartridges versus the capacity of any service pistol.

3) the speed of reloading the J frame versus the service pistol.

4) the quality of the sights of the service pistol versus the J frame, and my ability to place a precise shot with those sights.

5) the speed with which I can present a service pistol from a holster versus a J frame from my pocket or waistband.

6) my recoil control with the service pistol compared to my Scandium J frame.

7) my ability to move from inside the house to outside the house on our rural property and be equipped to handle the kind of shooting challenges I can envision where we live.

Therein lies the rub, as the Bard said. There is a difference between "compromised my abilities to any realistic degree" and "would NOT compromise my ability compared to..." Often there are differences; whether those differences really make a difference in the outcome is another issue. Personally I would think that lounging around all the time while carrying a full-size service pistol and a spare mag creates a different series of issues in and of itself.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Therein lies the rub, as the Bard said. There is a difference between "compromised my abilities to any realistic degree" and "would NOT compromise my ability compared to..." Often there are differences; whether those differences really make a difference in the outcome is another issue. Personally I would think that lounging around all the time while carrying a full-size service pistol and a spare mag creates a different series of issues in and of itself.
    I've met people who've, at one point or another in their lives, had a thought something like: "Damn, I wish I had more gun right now." At least two forum members have been in such situations within the past couple of years, both realizing that the j-frame they had with them wouldn't be enough if an earnest fight broke out.

I've yet to meet a single person who has ever wished he had less gun when the time came for needing a gun.

Any handgun is always a compromise. I would love to have a 6920 @ my fingertips @ all times w/30rds of 5.56 ready to go. That's neither legal or practical though. Sometimes it just isn't feasible to have a service size/caliber pistol on you @ all times. J frames & similar size/caliber guns have their place.

I got a J-frame too. Same sights, although no Apex stuff. None other than GJM convinced me to get one to improve trigger work.
    I can't hit a 3x5 at 7 with it. This is not a figure of speech, it is a 100% factual statement.
    Of course it only speaks for my own inadequacy, but it is what it is. That leaves me with no option other than sleeping in a 5 stitch belt.

Read thishttp://www.amazon.com/The-Snubby-Rev...nubby+revolver

I would rather have a snubby than nothing regardless of the situation. I don't care what you carry we will always be able to dream up a scenerio or relay evidence of one that would rule the choice inept. Any weapon is a small part of a system.

Most of my time carrying in bad places has been with an AR platform. That AR didn't make me safe just by carrying it. I made me SAFER by knowing how to use it, being aware of my surroundings, and how to use other tools if things got to up close and personal.

These arguments about what gun is enough can go in circles forever.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    I would rather have a snubby than nothing regardless of the situation.
    I don't think you'll find anyone on any side of this discussion who'd disagree with that.

"I would rather own a Yugo than no car at all."

The question isn't whether a j-frame is better than a dirty look. The question is whether there are guns as easy to carry, practically speaking, that have better ballistics, more firepower, and/or superior shootability.

How much gun is enough?

User Tag List