Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: anatomy of a lounge-around gun

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This surprises me, as I normally spent a number of days each year hanging out with people of all different shapes, sizes, and backgrounds around the country concealing reasonably big guns out at dinner without wearing mirrored shades or being identified as militants.
    Says the guy air-gunning around invisible barriers at the dinner table in Chile's......
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Just curious why this is being discussed in Forum>Hardware>Revolvers instead of Forum>Software>Mindset&Tactics ?
    Aren't there already 3 or 4 active threads regarding handgun capacity and carry preferences?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This surprises me, as I normally spent a number of days each year hanging out with people of all different shapes, sizes, and backgrounds around the country concealing reasonably big guns out at dinner without wearing mirrored shades or being identified as militants.
    I used to think I carried a lot, what with normally toting around a full-size Beretta 92, spare mag, a couple of pocket knives and occasionally a J-frame as a BUG. Then one of my friends, who never looks loaded down, revealed he was packing a 1911, four spare mags, a J-frame, two speedloaders (NOT speed-strips, actual speed-loaders), two folding kerambits, two cans of OC and body armor, all under a button-down shirt while riding around in his wheelchair. He just shrugged and said, "I can't run away."

It's all threat analysis, and knowing your own capabilities and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'll probably be replacing the Cor-Bon DPX with the flying hunk-o-lead wadcutters.
    Again, at the ranges most of these little guns are employed at, a standard wadcutter load does just as well on unprotected meat as anything else. I was able to examine several of these (two Speer 148gr, one Zero 148gr, both "remanufactured" cartridges using the standard 2.7 grains of Bullseye for propellant) dug out of miscreants. They had been shot out of pre-95 J frames with the 1 7/8" barrel.

One subject expired soon after being shot; he bled out almost immediately. The second one went down due to, I'm sure, psychlogical incapacitation. He survived.

All three bullets mushroomed a bit at the nose, and penetrated to the chest cavity but did not exit.

Back in the day, it was common for those cops who reloaded to load the Speer 148 grain hollow base wadcutter backwards, crimping just below the base skirt of the reversed bullet. The idea, of course, was the the hollow base would act as a hollow point. By the time I had gotten in a position to be privy to the details of our shootings, this practice had been outlawed. So, sadly, I was never able to see for myself whether it actually worked or not.

But it sure SEEMED like a good idea...

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Just curious why this is being discussed in Forum>Hardware>Revolvers instead of Forum>Software>Mindset&Tactics ?
    Because the guy who started the thread was discussing it?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm so tactical, I carry a service-size auto at home and a flashlight and a knife. But that's just because there's a knife and a flashlight in my jeans pockets and I usually put my jeans on very shortly after breakfast. If the ninjas rappel through the windows between the alarm clock and breakfast, I might be hosed.

I don't sleep in a five-stitch belt, but when I am in my pyjamas in bed, there's a gun within reach: A Smith .38 Spl w/a 2-inch barrel. (It's the high-capacity six-shooter variety, though.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    : A Smith .38 Spl w/a 2-inch barrel. (It's the high-capacity six-shooter variety, though.)
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are doomed.

well my shotgun is within reach when I'm in bed, but its only a 4-shooter so I'm even more screwed

However, since I once defended myself against a amateur attempt at home invasion/burglary using the patented fat-guy-in-tighty-whities-with-a-baseball-bat technique, I do not feel unprotected.

I would like to take this time to apologize to all and sundry for the mental scarring that is inevitable from the mental pictures the previous sentence will undoubtedly produce.
    I am not fat, I am wearing organic body armor.
    "Foreign policy is best left to the people with a head for negotiation and satisfying others without really giving anything away: customer service representatives."
    - Sheepdog247

I really like the gun you have and concept you propose. Works for me but I have yet to get the "treatment" for my little pocket rocket. You see...I too must confess to being a tactifaux. I too will almost always have my 638 in the pocket of my basketball shorts when in the house lounging about. It is lighter to carry and easier to draw than my Kahr PM9. Since no belt loops are provided the draw string is enough to keep me from embarrasing myself in front of friends and family when armed in the house. I also admit to having no spare reload on my person at such times. No CTC grips either nor bright night sights. In fact I often carry said revolver outside the home when taking the trash and recycle bins to the curb. Fully exposed to the wrath of the world with nothing but some droopy shorts, a t-shirt and five rounds of wishfull thinking. I am also better armed than 90+% of the rest of the country.

There is also a carbine and shotgun in relatively easy reach if the end of the world comes. I guess the original post is the perfect example of the gun you use to fight your way to the gun you need.

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    In fact I often carry said revolver outside the home when taking the trash and recycle bins to the curb. Fully exposed to the wrath of the world with nothing but some droopy shorts, a t-shirt and five rounds of wishfull thinking. I am also better armed than 90+% of the rest of the country.
    LOL. Well-stated; and true.

User Tag List