Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: anatomy of a lounge-around gun

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    What I don't like about that setup is the rubber sleeve.
    Rubber grips grab and hold my shirt material. I like hard plastic grips on my IWB guns.

I really want a 3" 317 as a farm gun to dispatch vermin and beer cans, but somebody needs to make a reliable trigger kit to drop the DA trigger weight by 5# or so.
    My 351 has about a 20 pound trigger, but my 3.something 317 hass great trigger after being shot thousands of rounds. I use it for training and harvesting small game animals.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This post is amazing. I love it. Especially the steely eyed 5-stitch in bed part.
    Seems like the post ECQQ cool boy thing is no spare mag with your service pistol on the street and a J at home. Wonder if the prosecutor in TX and the head of CO prisons would have thought a J a good choice at home?

I've been a CCW instructor in a medium sized city for going on 10 years and been into firearms training for over 15 years.
    In those years I've had the pleasure of meeting a lot of "Tackleberry's" who claim to carry a significant loadout 24/7/365 and always be in "Yellow".
    I've also interacted with a lot of them on the internet.
    Then...
    I see them on the town or in person and either they are REALLY good at concealing all that gear and disguising their uber-awareness behind mirrored shades or they're full of it and IF they carry it's the minimum like the majority.
    Carrying 2 full sized guns, 4 magazines, 3 blades, 2 lights and OC may sound cool on the 'net, but is a real PITA in reality.
    And when they do actually carry all that gear they always look like they're carrying 15# of uncomfortable crap under 2 shirts and a fishing vest.
    I guarantee the vast majority who claim to carry the kitchen sink 24/7/365, don't.

I carry a gun most of the time, everything from a LCP to a P2000.
    I carry a knife because I cut things.
    I occasionally daydream or stare at my cell phone.
    When I'm at the house I relax and that often means no gun (or pants) at all.
    That's real life, not gun forum life.

I are doomed.
    Last edited by JodyH; 04-07-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems like the post ECQQ cool boy thing is no spare mag with your service pistol on the street and a J at home. Wonder if the prosecutor in TX and the head of CO prisons would have thought a J a good choice at home?
    Really?
    I think a realistic threat assessment should be part of your defensive plan.
    If I actively interacted with the criminal element as a LEO, prosecutor, criminal defense attorney, jailer, warden, drug dealer, drug user, fence, gang member etc. etc. then I would change my defensive plan accordingly.
    It's a ridiculous argument to use the targeted assassinations of high profile law enforcement officials as supporting arguments for what the average person needs as the minimum defensive plans/gear.
    You know Reagan was shot on the street and he had a large Uzi wielding security detail, you might want to re-think leaving the house alone with *only* a handgun and spare mags...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

I agree with much of your post. However, there is a happy medium between unarmed and fantasy. For me that is a semi auto pistol and a spare mag, both because I can efficiently carry that combination, and because I would never willingly choose a five shot J frame to actually defend my life if I had the service pistol
    alternative.

And I would never willingly use a service pistol when I have a carbine available.
    Since we're talking about carrying inside your own house/property why are you relying on a crappy handgun when there's nothing stopping you from slinging a carbine?
    I can carry a carbine around in more states of dress/undress than I can a pistol plus spare magazine.

Seems like the post ECQQ cool boy thing is no spare mag with your service pistol on the street and a J at home.
    And the post {insert shooting class here} cool thing to do is endlessly debate front sight to rear sight notch ratios and 1/2# trigger spring differences in the pursuit of a 0.25 sec faster draw from a perfectly planted carefully positioned shooting platform at a static cardboard target.

It is what it is...
    Last edited by JodyH; 04-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Todays range session with the "lounge around J-frame".
    5 for 5 on 8" steel at 35 yards, even with the XS Big Dot sight.
    Black Hills 148gr. wadcutters shoot great out of it, accurate to point of aim and very low recoil.
    A zone splits in the .30 range at 10 yards.
    I'll probably be replacing the Cor-Bon DPX with the flying hunk-o-lead wadcutters.

The other thing to consider while at home is having access to other fireams. If I am sitting on my couch and 6 dudes stack up outside my door and decide they are coming in, my 5 shot J might not work out so well. However, if I have any indication of trouble, I am going for a long gun. I guess I could always sling my long gun while in the house..... In truth I frequently carry my P30 in my 5 Shot SME and a reload while at home. Why? Because it is so comfortable and MOST of the time does not interfere with my daily life. The spare mag helps to balance out some weight and makes the gun even more comfortable for me. Just my opinion
    Taking a break from social media.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I see them on the town or in person and either they are REALLY good at concealing all that gear and disguising their uber-awareness behind mirrored shades or they're full of it and IF they carry it's the minimum like the majority.
    This surprises me, as I normally spent a number of days each year hanging out with people of all different shapes, sizes, and backgrounds around the country concealing reasonably big guns out at dinner without wearing mirrored shades or being identified as militants.

I don't think it has anything to do with whatever ECQC cool kid clique you're perceiving. You might be projecting a little on that one, because everyone in my ECQC class was very humble by the end of the weekend having been handed their ass at least once.

If you have a problem with carrying a j-frame, that's cool. Maybe not everyone is you, and maybe they'd rather just sit around on Sunday in gym shorts and feel comfortable doing so with a J-frame clipped to their shorts.....because, my gosh, the concept of an MS13 SWAT team rappelling through their windows isn't always the dominant driving force in their decision making cycle. Horrors.

I don't think anyone would argue with you that their choice of carrying a j-frame at home is equal firepower to your EDC of a 10" .300 Blackout carbine, a .44 Mag, and a 10mm Glock 20 as a BUG. Just as no one is telling you that a J-frame is just as good, no one is forcing the J-frame-only loadout on you.....and everyone in this thread is also a big boy capable of making their own decisions as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List