Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: anatomy of a lounge-around gun

The only change in my update from 4 years ago is the 638 is occasionally replaced with I believe is a 1974, blued Colt Agent. I wanted that extra round for a lounge around gun. Probably sell it soon since even with the extra round it is not a +P capable revolver and I sure do not want to beat it up with maintenance, parts and repair somewhat problematic.

Also...the pair of Belgian Malanois are still trashing my oldest sons home.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I've been using a 9mm Shield w/ 7 rd mag in a DeSantis nemesis as my lounge around gun. Really works nicely in PJ pant pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have a minimalist holster...
    Paging @Spear! How do I get one of these?
    Last edited by Irelander; 04-11-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

What do you need one to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Spear View Post
    What do you need one to fit?
    A S&W 642-1!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    A S&W 642-1!
    me too!

It's interesting how much can change over time. That's taught me that frequent re-evaluation... essentially, an ongoing risk assessment... can be a good idea.

From the time I was old enough to own a gun I lived, went to school, or worked (and sometimes all three at once) on Chicago's north side. In my 20s, I spent a lot of time in not very nice neighborhoods, often very late at night, often alone or in small groups. Although I owned guns at that time, both pistols (a Colt 1911 and a S&W Model 19) were locked away at my parents place in the suburbs because of the Chicago handgun ban in effect at that time. Not that it mattered much, because carry permits were very rare in that time and place. We did have an old grandfathered shotgun at home, and a big dog, and both were of use to convince certain individuals to rapidly depart the premises on at least two occasions in those pre-gentrification days. On the street though, I managed to not have any trouble despite being in some places I wouldn't have gone knowing what I know today. Situational awareness was, at the time, the only real option.

Ironically, by the time the ban was thrown out in court I'd moved to California; fortunately to a remote part of it with gun culture largely intact. In my county, a CCW is readily available to responsible citizens.

At the time this thread originated, I was working an average of three days per week on a remote site, one with dense brush, poorly maintained roads, and a large (50-100) transient population including more than a few with hard-core substance abuse issues. If we looked, it usually took only a few minutes to find discarded needles. There were probably as many pit bulls as human transients, most of them loose. We spent a couple of years out there doing recon and planning, and then two years of construction oversight. Needless to say, I never went there unarmed; usually with a P2000 and a couple of mags. I pretty much wore that setup from getting up in the morning until going to bed at night.

We completed that project, except for some followup monitoring, a few months ago. Right now I'm mostly in the office, managing staff, meeting with regulatory agencies, writing proposals for the next batch of work, editing reports. I've taken to carrying a J-frame, a M&P 340, most days in this much lower risk environment. I'm expecting patterns to change a little and to be out on the streets around the office a little more often in the near future, and in the latest re-assessment I'm probably going to go back to the semi-auto for daytime use. The J-frame will likely still be the choice in the evenings at home. Here's the quantification to go with that re-assessment:

I live in a very small town surrounded by ranchlands, five miles off the freeway, with only three ways in or out. Much of the population owns guns, and I have a pretty good idea who most of those people are. The crime statistics for the period 2001 to 2015 show 0 murders and 0 robberies (there was one robbery in 2016 although official numbers haven't been released yet, it was at the convenience store, and they caught the perp within a few days. The clerk kept her cool, gave a good description to LE. I taught her to shoot, but she hadn't had time to get her CCW yet). Over that same interval there were 31 assaults, or an average of very roughly two per year. Most of those were disagreements at the local tavern with no serious injuries, a few were domestics. I'm fully aware that violence can occur anywhere, but this is a low risk place as these things go. The "crime index" for 2015 was 61.7, vs a U.S. mean of 286.7.

Now the larger place where my office is, about 17 miles from home. We're right downtown, in a city of roughly 30,000 plus some more in bordering unincorporated areas. There is a transient presence, and in that same 2001-2015 interval there were 31 murders. I haven't tallied the full interval for other crimes but in 2015 there were 58 robberies and 82 assaults. The "crime index" is 551, nearly double the U.S. average. That's a little deceptive though, because a lot of the crime is transient-on-transient or druggie-on-druggie, to play on the old cliche, don't hang around with stupid people and the risk is way lower than that. Still, with the increased presence of individuals with a meth habit, five rounds of .38 special and a speed strip can feel a little undergunned. I need to balance that against the fact that most of my time outside the office is walking to and from lunch and to and from the gym, and the latter offers some concealment challenges. So I'm still fine tuning that part of the equation and right now am thinking that the P2000sk is probably going to be the in-town solution. For now. At least, until my pattern changes again and for me change is the only constant. So when change happens, so will another re-assessment.
    Last edited by Salamander; 04-12-2017 at 11:10 PM.

I believe that risk assessment can be a slippery slope for evaluating low probability events. By the numbers, we would not train for engine failures in modern jets, or even carry firearms. As John Hearne likes to say, it is not the odds, but instead the stakes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Still, with the increased presence of individuals with a meth habit, five rounds of .38 special and a speed strip can feel a little undergunned. I need to balance that against the fact that most of my time outside the office is walking to and from lunch and to and from the gym, and the latter offers some concealment challenges. So I'm still fine tuning that part of the equation and right now am thinking that the P2000sk is probably going to be the in-town solution. For now. At least, until my pattern changes again and for me change is the only constant. So when change happens, so will another re-assessment.
    I think your assessment makes sense and is similar to what I have adopted. We live about 3.5 to 4 miles outside of a small mountain town. Around my home, property and walking around area I generally feel quite comfortable with a J-frame and a speed strip. Add the fact that it's easily pocket carried and perfect for warm weather and attire and it makes for a compelling choice.

However, despite our county being pretty "low crime", it's not "no crime" and once I get in the 4Runner to head to town or elsewhere, one of my Glocks replaces the 642.

I think the balance you struck would be the same I'd choose under the same set of circumstances were I in your shoes.
    Last edited by blues; 04-13-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

An interesting topic that's valuable for the thought and constant reassessment that it may encourage.

IMO, its all about assessment of risks. In the homestead environment I'm usually carrying a 9mm Glock. This is my usual general carry choice. If caught outside with a bunch of guys jumping out've a pick-up with AKs, I may be S.O.L. So, why don't I always wear body armor & helmet and sling up a carbine when outside ? My assessment is that such a scenario is unlikely. Because of our watchdogs, the layout of buildings & the road this kind of surprise probably won't happen- - though not 100% impossible, I suppose.

There's more involved than just the carry gun choice. Lets say the guy who likes to lounge around in gym shorts is an expert with his J-frame. He has watchdogs and his homestead layout is conducive to being warned of a stranger's approach. He has long guns in every room which are a few steps away if his dogs bark a warning or there are strange noises. He also has semi auto pistol & mag carrier on a belt that he can quckly strap on. On the homestead, I see a sidearm as a means of defense in case I am surprised. The tool of choice will usually be a long gun.

The fellow in gym shorts may be very well prepared for most potential scenarios. 100% prepared for any possibility is impossible, of course.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 04-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.

User Tag List