Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: anatomy of a lounge-around gun

Assuming I needed a gun, I'd be wishing I had something crew served and belt fed.

We're not all steely eyed gunmen who wear 5-stitch instructor belts to bed.
    I know it's a tactical faux pas to admit in public (on a gun forum no less) that 10 minutes ago I was laying on the couch wearing nothing but Adidas basketball shorts and a T-shirt while listening to a podcast on my phone (condition WHITE! because I had ear buds stuffed in my ears!).
    And yes *hangs head in shame* all I'm armed with is a 5 shot J-frame.
    At this rate i'll be lucky if I live 'till my 43rd birthday next week.

I'm willing to bet the 5 cookies I just ate will have a greater chance of knocking years off my life span that my lounging around the house handgun selection.
    Last edited by JodyH; 04-05-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Assuming I needed a gun, I'd be wishing I had something crew served and belt fed.

I know it's a tactical faux pas to admit in public (on a gun forum no less) that 10 minutes ago I was laying on the couch wearing nothing but Adidas basketball shorts and a T-shirt while listening to a podcast on my phone (condition WHITE! because I had ear buds stuffed in my ears!).

I'm willing to bet the 5 cookies I just ate will have a greater chance of knocking years off my life span that my lounging around the house handgun selection.
    You're more steely than I am. I'm not even wearing a gun!

When I get home for the night, the pistol comes off and a long gun comes out of the vault, and is somewhere within arms reach...

I like that J frame Jody. I really should get one of those.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I use a S&W M38.

Did nothing to it but change the grips to Uncle Mike's boot grips.
    It's in the pocket of my vest as I write this.

Smile

Jody, I will admit -- it is a close call on the cookies versus the J frame, but I hadn't focused on the basketball shorts part of it. We have sort of had this discussion before, but living somewhere it is hot enough in early April to wear basketball shorts is the bigger problem.

7:00am, 51 degrees.
    Forecast high for today is 90.
    I love the cool weather we have in the spring.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

I'm currently lounging with a 637 down my pants... Bobbed hammer, disabled lock, Apex Duty/Carry kit.

Great minds, and all that...

... well I'll just have to live in tactical shame.
    Maybe if I added a velcro morale patch to my PJ's I can rejoin the cool crowd that keeps a spare gun (and mags of course) in the shower and carries 3 full size guns 25/8/366 because one is none and three is two... or something cool like that.
    Spot on. I'm right there with you; in my pocket is a 360PD, featuring a whacked hammer spur and The Plug. It is in my pocket during waking hours; all day, every day. I have a treasured pre-lock 342 in the safe, for a rainy day.

No, it is not my primary when I'm out and about.

It has been my experience that those who sneer at the J frame have little or no hands-on time with the little beast. One particular uber-tactidork at work comes to mind...

Personally, I'd take a .38 J frame over a .380 anything... especially a Kel-Tec or clone thereof. The latter is quite popular in my area; and the fact that many of those users have some issues making the things work all the time doesn't seem to bother them.

But I think what some here have missed is the main point; most folks do NOT carry anything around their home. Doing so is a pretty good idea if you don't live in a walled compound that is regularly patrolled. And a small .38 snubby certainly beats a kitchen knife, or a thrown beer can- full, or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I looks like a nice grip. I've got an old Barami grip clip for J frames and it carries well but sure isn't much to hold onto. Neat J frame there.
    The Headhunter/Southnarc set up is to add a Tyler T-grip and a slip on rubber grip sleeve to the Barami. The think the Barami has a better clip than the Desantis, just my opinion.

Don't feel bad Jody, my lounge around gun, and often my mow the grass and take out the trash gun, is a S&W 317

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The Headhunter/Southnarc set up is to add a Tyler T-grip and a slip on rubber grip sleeve to the Barami.
    What I don't like about that setup is the rubber sleeve.
    Rubber grips grab and hold my shirt material. I like hard plastic grips on my IWB guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Don't feel bad Jody, my lounge around gun, and often my mow the grass and take out the trash gun, is a S&W 317
    I really want a 3" 317 as a farm gun to dispatch vermin and beer cans, but somebody needs to make a reliable trigger kit to drop the DA trigger weight by 5# or so.
    Last edited by JodyH; 04-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.

This post is amazing. I love it. Especially the steely eyed 5-stitch in bed part.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List