Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAR: Ben Stoeger USPSA Class - Nampa, Idaho 3/23-24/2013

Thanks for the AAR--I've been quite curious about how BS runs his classes; so far I have heard nothing but good things from folks looking to improve their USPSA shooting.

Sorry to bring back a two week old thread... but I will be attending Ben's class in 5 weeks. I'm wondering if there is anything in particular you'd recommend to prepare for the class that might not be readily apparent?

Quote Originally Posted by lightning fast View Post
    Sorry to bring back a two week old thread... but I will be attending Ben's class in 5 weeks. I'm wondering if there is anything in particular you'd recommend to prepare for the class that might not be readily apparent?
    Having taken his class last year, I feel qualified to say the following:

1.) Bring an open mind - Ben will challenge some preconceived notions and can be "abrasive" sometimes. Just roll with it and listen to the dude. He has really thought a lot of this through to the Nth degree.

2.) Make sure you've got your "GAME-H": Gun, Ammo, Mags, Eye/Ear Pro, Holster and pouches. Bring a back up gun. Bring more ammo (you can always go home with some left)

3.) A lot of drills require rotation. Rotate in more if possible and pick his brain. Be the first to the line and to participate. Bring more loaded mags so you can shoot more often.

4.) Really pay attention to what he's telling other people - you see it enough, you'll start to see the flaws in your own technique.

5.) Video Camera/Smart phone - when he's lecturing, especially about stages, get it on tape.

6.) Oh - and if you didn't already, follow me on WIILSHOOT.COM - we catalog matches in the Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin area.

WIILSHOOT is right on. The thing I liked about Ben's class is that he has no problem telling you what you aren't good at, in a vernacular that a mouth breathing knuckle dragger like myself can understand. Pay attention, we spent a good deal of time discussing how to break down stages and killed a few sacred cows along the way. Bring an open mind.

Bumping this thread since I just retook Ben Stoeger's USPSA class on May 3-4, 2014. Same class I took last year, but this time it was at a very nearby range. Lots of fun, felt good about how it went. Class format was very similar to last year's – shoot a stage at the beginning of class, shoot a number of drills, shoot a stage at the end of the day, same thing on day two. The drills were a selection of mainstay drills from Ben's books and video and have changed a bit from last year. The best part of the class for me was shooting the stages and getting feedback from Ben. I was really pleased at how much less I sucked this year when it came to stage times. Still certainly not the best there, but I was clearly doing a lot better than at the same time last year.

Me shooting a few of the class stages:

Ben shooting a few of the class stages:

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List