Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mag pouch/arrangement solutions for PF courses...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    While it does not directly address the issue of having 4-5 mags on the belt, for AFHF you can have spare mags in back pockets, cargo pockets, vest pockets... whatever you need to do. In many cases, the more loaded mags you have on you, the more repetitions of a particular drill you'll get to shoot.
    But you forgot to add, whatever you do, don't let Todd see you load from the pockets, the load better come from the mag holder. Just sayin'.

OP, I'm hosting an AFHF class this June and will be using an HK45c, I'm only going to use four mags, one will be in my back pocket with no worries. If it bothers you that bad, buy some HK45 10-rounders for that extra capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I ask students to do exactly that (always reload from a pouch, never a pocket) in class. Excellent point!
    Is consideration given to the guys who regularly carry their reload in a pocket during their average day?
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Is consideration given to the guys who regularly carry their reload in a pocket during their average day?
    I've never had someone come to class and want to do it that way, but absolutely I'd have zero problem with anyone sacrificing speed in the interest of following his EDC protocol in class. As long as the procedure is safe, I'm all for it.

Copy that. I figured as much, but thought it would be good to clarify.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Used two mag pouches on the belt at 9:00 in the same position I use for carry and kept them fed from a dump pouch. Actually worked pretty well, never ran out of loaded mags. You make a little noise when moving but it beats going back to your bag too frequently.
    Last edited by JohnN; 02-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aspect View Post
    Hi all,

Was considering signing up for one of the Aim Fast, Hit Fast classes (although none in my state ), and saw the "be able to bring 50rds to the firing line requirement".

Right now I carry a HK45c, and have a blade-tech 2x mag holder. This gives me only 25rds fully loaded (yes, I only have a couple of the small mags).

Anyway, any recommendations for a streamlined solution for 4-5 belt-carried mags? Buying more bladetech holders isn't too appealing to me, as their shape only seems to be comfortable when placed on the point of my hip and this wouldn't really work for multiples. I'm also not sure how easy straight-up mag draws would be, as the pouches would be getting pretty close to my back...I'm 5'8" 135lbs and don't have a lot of circumference to work with. I'm a big fan of kydex as I like pouches without covers, but would have no problem with something leather (or a combination of the two) if it offers the same performance.

Cost is definitely a factor here, as I'll have to be buying mags as well. How many? Well that leads me to my second question...

For those who have attended the course, is the 50rd requirement a hard number (ie, a requirement for specific drills), or more of a guideline? I ask because if I picked up 2 more 10rd mags, I would only be at 45rds total (8+1+8+8+10+10). Getting up to 50 would require another mag and pouch for a total of 55rds (and a 5th mag on my belt that would be all the way around on my backside), or buying FIVE 10rd magazines ($275!) so I could run 4 on my belt for a total of 51rds.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    It really depends on how you normally carry your gun.

When I took the AF,HF class in Feb of '10 I wore my Sig at 3 in an OWB 5.11/Bladetech holster with 4 mags across my body at 8-10 o'clock in OWB Bladetech and Galco mag carriers and it worked great.

Right now, my current set up is all on a duty belt for my academy class. I'm still wearing my Sig at 3 o'clock in a Safariland 6280 but I moved my mags to 12 o'clock so I can access them easier with both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Actually I was making fun of people who think that if you use something like a dump pouch then your training experience will be worthless.
    DOH!!! I had hoped to at least make it through the first day without posting something stupid.

A little late, but for most pistol classes where you'll be running your EDC type of set-up, a couple singles will work just fine and top them off from spares in your pocket. John Ralston makes some nice leather single mag pouches at 5Shot Leather and I've had good luck with the belt clip on single from Comp-Tac kydex. Let us know your feedback on the class.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    DOH!!! I had hoped to at least make it through the first day without posting something stupid.
    You didn't post something stupid, I'm just not *that* funny...

Site Supporter
    If you really want to have 4/5 mags on the bet line, the CCC basic single mag carriers or the Glock OEM singles have about as small a footprint on the belt as is out there.

For my AFHF class, I had one in the gun, 2 at 10:30 or 11:00 in two single pouches above and at least 2 more in my left side cargo pant pocket of my 18.00 Wrangler Cargo pants from Wal Mart. Add a Wilderness belt and a good holster and you will be GTG.

User Tag List