Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mag pouch/arrangement solutions for PF courses...

I'll leave Todd to answer the round count question, but I've found both Ready Tactical and Custom Carry Concepts to make the best kydex single mag reload pouches.

Raven Concealment is a great option for a multiple mag carrier.

Site Supporter
    The nicest single mag pouch I've seen is the Kytac pouch, http://www.kytac.com/page5.html. I've only used the solid belt loop version. David Elderton takes a lot more time on the fit and finish of his pouches than most others.

I understand they have a somewhat rocky history, but they were quick with emails and had a 1 day turnaround on my pouches.

I can't recall how many PT classes I've taken, maybe 5?, but I prefer a single mag pouch at 10:30, and the spares in my front left pocket. I move empty ones to the right pocket. I didn't feel slowed down or hindered by only using 1 pouch and using my pockets for quick refills.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by aspect View Post
    Is 25rds sufficient for any single drill?
    You should never have to reload more than once for any given drill. I demo just about everything and usually only wear one spare mag on my belt.

Great, thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'll tell you what I use for higher round count pistol classes which has worked well for me:

Besides a mag in the gun and a mag in a dedicated reload pouch, I have three additional mags in an Eagle carrier with kydex inserts located behind my reload pouch.
    Jay hardly needs and endorsement from me but I'll say this is exactly what I have done and it worked well for me.

One good thing about this versus feeding the primary pouch from pockets is that if you forget to refill the pouch it's a lot easier to grab that next mag (just slide your hand further back) with screwing up your fung shui mid string.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    One good thing about this versus feeding the primary pouch from pockets is that if you forget to refill the pouch it's a lot easier to grab that next mag (just slide your hand further back) with screwing up your fung shui mid string.
    It may just be picking nits, but I'd argue the exact opposite: if I don't have a spare mag in my spare mag pouch, my next reaction has to be "my gun is empty, what next?" That's the whole point of making sure your mag pouch is occupied before beginning. The ease with which I artificially solve that problem isn't a concern.

I use my pockets for empties or sometimes partials; occasionally I use a small dump pouch.

But OMG!!! I won't have my dump pouch IN A REAL FIGHT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I use my pockets for empties or sometimes partials; occasionally I use a small dump pouch.

But OMG!!! I won't have my dump pouch IN A REAL FIGHT!!!

I'm glad you said that. I actually used a small dump pouch in a LAV 1911 2-day last year. I had two single pouches on my belt and a mix of empties, full, and partials in the pouch.

It worked for convenience sake but like you said ... reality FAIL .... AND felt like dragging a dead weight around. I won't do that again. I was always ready (I was worried about being "that guy") but still had to wait around while the other guys loaded so there really wasn't much WIN for doing it this way.

The biggest thing I picked up recently was keeping a pocket full of loose rounds in my pocket at all times to top off partial mags between strings or while another squad is shooting. Simple but genius ... thanks TAP.

Actually I was making fun of people who think that if you use something like a dump pouch then your training experience will be worthless.

I guess I need to get the sarcasm emoticon going.

Regarding the loose rounds: yeah, and I recommend keeping them in your strong hand pocket, because you'll be holding the mag with your weak hand. Unless you have another strong hand, which you might.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It may just be picking nits, but I'd argue the exact opposite: if I don't have a spare mag in my spare mag pouch, my next reaction has to be "my gun is empty, what next?" That's the whole point of making sure your mag pouch is occupied before beginning. The ease with which I artificially solve that problem isn't a concern.
    I knew that was coming
    And it's a solid point. On the other hand, normally if I find my spare mag missing i'm just flat out of ammo and it's time to start pursuing other options altogether; if on the firing line I can just reach for the next mag I can finish what I am doing and hopefully get the most out of that particular drill. From a safety perspective on a line with other shooters it helps keep me from doing any weird reaching and/or digging that may cause me to lose focus and muzzle somebody. Yes, I should be better than to do that but no need to raise the odds unnecessarily.
    That's just where my current thought process has lead me though, so I'm certainly open to input on the matter.

User Tag List