Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mag pouch/arrangement solutions for PF courses...

Mag pouch/arrangement solutions for PF courses...

Hi all,

Was considering signing up for one of the Aim Fast, Hit Fast classes (although none in my state ), and saw the "be able to bring 50rds to the firing line requirement".

Right now I carry a HK45c, and have a blade-tech 2x mag holder. This gives me only 25rds fully loaded (yes, I only have a couple of the small mags).

Anyway, any recommendations for a streamlined solution for 4-5 belt-carried mags? Buying more bladetech holders isn't too appealing to me, as their shape only seems to be comfortable when placed on the point of my hip and this wouldn't really work for multiples. I'm also not sure how easy straight-up mag draws would be, as the pouches would be getting pretty close to my back...I'm 5'8" 135lbs and don't have a lot of circumference to work with. I'm a big fan of kydex as I like pouches without covers, but would have no problem with something leather (or a combination of the two) if it offers the same performance.

Cost is definitely a factor here, as I'll have to be buying mags as well. How many? Well that leads me to my second question...

For those who have attended the course, is the 50rd requirement a hard number (ie, a requirement for specific drills), or more of a guideline? I ask because if I picked up 2 more 10rd mags, I would only be at 45rds total (8+1+8+8+10+10). Getting up to 50 would require another mag and pouch for a total of 55rds (and a 5th mag on my belt that would be all the way around on my backside), or buying FIVE 10rd magazines ($275!) so I could run 4 on my belt for a total of 51rds.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

We are diminished
    While it does not directly address the issue of having 4-5 mags on the belt, for AFHF you can have spare mags in back pockets, cargo pockets, vest pockets... whatever you need to do. In many cases, the more loaded mags you have on you, the more repetitions of a particular drill you'll get to shoot.

I'll tell you what I use for higher round count pistol classes which has worked well for me:

Besides a mag in the gun and a mag in a dedicated reload pouch, I have three additional mags in an Eagle carrier with kydex inserts located behind my reload pouch.

I haven't attended one of Todd's classes yet, but I've run other classes with 2 mags on the belt and the rest in my pockets. I move the pocket mags to pouches when I get a chance to do so. If you don't have more mag pouches on the street or in the competition you're training for, why train with them? I think the requirement is more so the class doesn't have to wait on you grabbing more ammo and stuffing mags.

I will be in an AFHF next weekend and plan to run a G19 with two single mag pouches as my primary in the normal slightly forward of 9 o'clock positions. The pouches are kydex pancake type with the normal, kind of large, footprint most of us are used to.

I plan to utilize two singles from Kytex Shooting Gear on my belt rearward (is that a word?) of 9 o'clock to back fill my primary pouches between strings. These will be worn for the sole purpose of carrying mags to the line without having to stuff my pockets full. I will not be loading my pistol from them. If you are unfamiliar with this maker they are very compact pouches, very inexpensive (as in $12), ship very fast and very cheap. I don't use them for carry purposes although the retention is plenty adequate for normal class "stuff".

My last class was in December (with Erik Lund and Tod Litt of USSA) and this setup worked well for me. If anyone sees a reason this is a lame idea please feel free to share. I'm willing to listen.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I haven't attended one of Todd's classes yet, but I've run other classes with 2 mags on the belt and the rest in my pockets. I move the pocket mags to pouches when I get a chance to do so. If you don't have more mag pouches on the street or in the competition you're training for, why train with them? I think the requirement is more so the class doesn't have to wait on you grabbing more ammo and stuffing mags.
    I ask students to do exactly that (always reload from a pouch, never a pocket) in class. Excellent point!

A good habit to get into is to feed your emergency reload pouch from your carriers (or pockets or bags or wherever). Consider this ammunition management - and it applies for "administrative" reloads and tac/retention reloads as well.

I have a cheap nylon velcro flap magazine pouch that holds 4 mags. I bought it years ago and use it only to carry extra magazines to feed my main mag pouch.

Ahh ok, that helps me out, thanks guys. If "bumping" my full mags up to my usual reload carrier isn't a problem for the drills involved then I should be OK for storage, as long as I am wearing my eotac elite operator active recon ops tactical insertion pants.

Is 25rds sufficient for any single drill?

Any other suggestions for affordable single mag carriers? I wouldn't mind switching to singles, as EDC'ing a double pouch is a bit annoying...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    For a pistol class all I ever use is a double mag holder for two quick reloads and then the pockets of cargo pants for more mags/loose ammo to reload mags with. It's worked for the dozens of pistol classes I've been in over the years.

User Tag List