Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So you're an instructor, hm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The corollary is that you can't teach someone how to fight with a gun in a two day class. And to attempt to sell it otherwise would be a hoax.

You can be straight with your students and tell them that you're working on their shooting fundamentals within the greater context of self-defense.
    I agree Learning to fight takes time and dedication.

And, while it would be nice if some "instructors" would stop teaching because they're not qualified to teach, it's also the responsibility of the student to do his or her homework on an instructor before enrolling in a class. It's not that hard. In fact, the internet makes it fairly easy to do. Larry Vickers; former member of Delta, considered by most to be an expert in firearms. Not hard to find him. Same goes for Kyle Defoor, Pat McNamara, Mike Pannone, Paul Howe, etc. Their resumes speak for themselves and there are plenty of AARs on their classes floating around on the internet. And it isn't just them. There are plenty of qualified shooting instructors on the national level and on the local level that run firearms programs for LEAs and Academies etc. If you're unsure about an instructor or class, do the research. If you're still unsure, don't take the class and find an instructor who has credentials, references and a class that works for you. In short, if you're the student, take the time and steps necessary to ensure you get the best training you possibly can for your money. That's your responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    For me, I have always had a struggle with wanting my students to like me, to think I’m a nice person and fun to be around. Most of the time, there’s nothing wrong with that. But my students don’t come to me to be my pals. They come to me to learn. If my desire to be super nice and super sweet actually gets them killed someday, then I haven’t been nice to them at all.
    Wanting to be liked is a potential trap. I've taken good classes from instructors I didn't really "like" -- I wouldn't choose to hang out with them -- but I respected them and valued what they were teaching me. One of my best bosses was the same way -- we were never going to be buddies, but he was fair and honest and looked out for his people, and I thought highly of him.

I'm not paying for a class to find a buddy, or, on the flip side, to be insulted by someone trying to prove what a hardass they are. I want someone who's going to be honest and help me learn. Good training leaves you feeling good even if it's not immediately "fun".

Tagged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    I agree Learning to fight takes time and dedication.

And, while it would be nice if some "instructors" would stop teaching because they're not qualified to teach, it's also the responsibility of the student to do his or her homework on an instructor before enrolling in a class. It's not that hard. In fact, the internet makes it fairly easy to do. Larry Vickers; former member of Delta, considered by most to be an expert in firearms. Not hard to find him. Same goes for Kyle Defoor, Pat McNamara, Mike Pannone, Paul Howe, etc. Their resumes speak for themselves and there are plenty of AARs on their classes floating around on the internet. And it isn't just them. There are plenty of qualified shooting instructors on the national level and on the local level that run firearms programs for LEAs and Academies etc. If you're unsure about an instructor or class, do the research. If you're still unsure, don't take the class and find an instructor who has credentials, references and a class that works for you. In short, if you're the student, take the time and steps necessary to ensure you get the best training you possibly can for your money. That's your responsibility.
    I'd argue that the AAR any more isn't worth anything unless you can vouch for the source and even then I have a hard time wanting to take a thread full of pics for more than just confirmation someone enjoyed their weekend playing "guns" with the guys. I'll still write them and read them but my money is spent based on other sources of information. A prime example of that is the instructor themselves. If they have time to cash my check they can answer any reasonable questions I have, short of giving away the class.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'd argue that the AAR any more isn't worth anything unless you can vouch for the source
    Sadly that's true. The AAR was turned into a huge marketing tool. I've been offered seats in classes (including travel) just for the AAR. To an extent it's a legit marketing tactic just like any other form of advertising and it can still be useful if the person writing it is doing so honestly.

Then there's the type of AAR that was free stuff and is written with an eye to keeping the free stuff train rolling.
    3/15/2016

'Tis true. Come to think of it, I think the most complete AARs were usually written by people who haven't attended many other classes, and thus have no real standard of comparison anyway. By the time someone's taken a few classes, they are less likely to write an AAR at all -- unless they have some other axe to grind. Like the marketing thing.

Kathy
    Kathy Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I work in a professional environment on a daily basis with significant interactions with numerous other people; I carry a 9 mm...
    Any carry regime requires compromises of a greater or lesser type. Body types and types of professional dress, cover garments etc. all play a role - I do not know the specifics of your situation. My own experience is that full-time on-body concealed carry of a "serious" handgun is not feasible. My job requires me to enter secured or prohibited areas on a fairly routine basis - no weapons allowed. Both when I am in those environments and when I am not, I have to present a certain appearance that, IMO, requires my clothing to be tailored and well-fitting - i.e., if my pants are loose enough to carry a gun IWB, they do not look right; if my shirt is blouse-y enough to conceal a service weapon, it looks sloppy. This is accentuated by modern fashions which tend toward the snug. At the office, walking around with a suit jacket on is also a no-go for both practical and social reasons - i.e., wearing a jacket draws negative attention in our office as it pegs you as a stiff. In social and networking situations I hug and will be hugged by my female colleagues and acquaintances, often around the waist.

Further, immediate access of my handgun in the office is highly unlikely. I travel from my garage to a staffed parking garage, and then directly to my office which is not accessible from the elevator bank. In these circumstances, OWB of a service pistol and/or off-body carry and a desk lockbox while I am in the office are reasonable compromises for me. On occasion I will IWB a Ruger LCP which requires no alterations to the wardrobe. Optimal, no, but better than not carrying at all, which is the other alternative.

and with few exceptions cannot recommend any caliber below a .38 sp for defensive carry......
    Doc, I read and respect your posts on terminal effects to the extent that I try to base my carry decisions on them as much as possible. Having said that, I believe that while there is no universe of possibilities where a .380 is superior to a 9mm handgun, there is likewise no universe of possibilties where the .22 or .380 that I am able to carry is inferior to the 9mm I cannot. My understanding is that most DGU type situations are resolved without shots being fired, and of the remainder a lesser caliber will suffice for a significant subset. Thus, at the end of the day, while I agree that a lesser caliber is not to be recommended, it may be both all that is available and sufficient to stop the majority of likely threats. I understand that some people might not want to take those particular risks, but then again, I also ride motorcycles...

I instituted a policy of not writing any type of AAR on a class if I recieved full or partial compensation on it, for whatever reason.

That said, I've made the decision that in the future I'll be paying my own way, regardless of any generous offers from the instructor or host.

Comp'd classes in many cases have gone from a professional courtesy to a way to buy glowing AARs.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    'Tis true. Come to think of it, I think the most complete AARs were usually written by people who haven't attended many other classes, and thus have no real standard of comparison anyway. By the time someone's taken a few classes, they are less likely to write an AAR at all -- unless they have some other axe to grind. Like the marketing thing.

Kathy
    And if you do have a base of comparison and the class sucks or the instructor spent the weekend telling the world how awesome they are can you say it? It seems to be accepted that you don't write a bad review.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We've all seen crap "training" praised by students who don't know any better and are easily wowed.

User Tag List