Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone reloading 300 Blackout?

Mine don't fill a need either. I limit my silly justifications for guns to myself, and the 4 other personalities that reside in my mind. If I try to use them on the wife, she goes shoe shopping and comes home with some what would sound like extremely bizarre reasons for buying shoes........simply to point out just how ridiculous I sound if I try to justify a new gun purchase to her.

The problem I have found with inexpensive chronographs is they suck. I borrow the chrono I use when I actually need data on something and I can't find "published" data on a particular bullet/powder combo. I've used a number of different makes and models over the years, and have found the price usually reflects performance. The one I borrow is an upper end Oehler, and while not top of the line, it ain't cheap either. But it provides consistent data, appropriate to the tests being conducted. Had a "Shooting Chrony" clock my .300 WinMag 190's at 1430 fps. Next shot was less than 1000 fps. Third shot was over 3k. It was set up properly, conditions were conducive to chronographing rounds. The cheap gear just turns in cheap resutls.

I have about the same factory BLK brass, but I'm not happy unless I have at least 2 ammo cans full of a particular caliber. So I chopped up about 1500 pieces of 556. Net result will be about 1k....(see above post about my learning disability).

I mean, what is the point of being an ammo hoarder, if I hoard selectively? I just want to be lumped into a larger demographic that makes it easier for those who disagree with my lifestyle to mock my existence. I find I can accomplish that with at least 1-2k rounds of ammunition for a breachloading rifle that will probably never see 500 rounds during it's service life.

Went to a gun show this weekend looking for components and scored some stuff. Found the H110 and some Nosler green tips in 125 gr. and 180 gr. Also a box of 150 gr. green tips loaded up. These are supposed to be great for deer and whatnot.

Got any good recipes for "whatnot"?

Whatnot stew? Anything can go into stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SGT_Calle View Post
    Went to a gun show this weekend looking for components and scored some stuff. Found the H110 and some Nosler green tips in 125 gr. and 180 gr. Also a box of 150 gr. green tips loaded up. These are supposed to be great for deer and whatnot.
    I've killed more than a few whitetails with 150gr Nosler ballistic tips, albeit at .308 velocities (out of a 16" barrel). It's like a grenade going off inside the deer, but they have a tendency to deflect easily on brush or oblique bone hits. I've switched to the 168gr Barnes TTSX to deal with that (I hunt in thick brush), but I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Noslers.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I've killed more than a few whitetails with 150gr Nosler ballistic tips, albeit at .308 velocities (out of a 16" barrel). It's like a grenade going off inside the deer, but they have a tendency to deflect easily on brush or oblique bone hits. I've switched to the 168gr Barnes TTSX to deal with that (I hunt in thick brush), but I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Noslers.
    TTSX are the black tips, right? I've read the same thing elsewhere. I was happy to stumble across the Noslers, I'd love to find some of the Barnes as well.
    I'm new to rifle shooting in general, especially thinking about hunting applications. Still climbing the steep bit of that learning curve.

TTSX are the black tips, right? I've read the same thing elsewhere. I was happy to stumble across the Noslers, I'd love to find some of the Barnes as well.
    I'm new to rifle shooting in general, especially thinking about hunting applications. Still climbing the steep bit of that learning curve.
    The 300BLK "black tips" are 110g's. They are the TAC-TX .
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

These had a blue tip, and were intended for .308 and .30-'06. But the basic idea is still the same. They're tough, tough bullets.

Gotcha, gotcha. Tracking.

Took out my new Chrony today and tested my first decent amount of reloads. I started the session zeroing my scope (since I switched them around) with some of the 125 gr. Remington match ammo.
    After that I started with reloads. Both recipes seemed to be accurate but shot about 6 inches lower at 100 yards. I had loaded them both with some room for more power so I think I'll do that and hit it again next Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SGT_Calle; 04-16-2013 at 01:58 PM.

User Tag List