Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The VA is Worthless

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The VA in Palo Alto, CA generally offers very good care once you get into their system.
    That has been my experience. Certainly the VA is sort of overwhelmed right now with sheer numbers, as much a result of some changed rules as anything else, but historically they have provided a very good product in most cases.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

How timely, Jon Stewart. Well played.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...teran-benefits
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I guess it's just me and my fundamental lack of understanding..........

But how exactly do we equate 900,000 veterans waiting on claim processing with the words:

"Very good product"?

A veteran seeking assistance for anything should be able to at least get a consult in a timely manner. A veteran seeking assistance for mental health issues should get an appointment in less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I guess it's just me and my fundamental lack of understanding..........

But how exactly do we equate 900,000 veterans waiting on claim processing with the words:

"Very good product"?

A veteran seeking assistance for anything should be able to at least get a consult in a timely manner. A veteran seeking assistance for mental health issues should get an appointment in less than an hour.
    As Doc and WDW said, once you get into the system it works well. Sadly, due to some unanticipated factors coupled with some poor planning, getting into the system has become a problem.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Susan Simmons at Under The Shield is fantastic if you need someone to talk to. She only works with military and first responders, so she has some experience with PTSD and anger management

She used to be based in Alabama, which is where I met her. She is now in Avondale, Arizona if you are anywhere near there. Even if you are not local, she is always willing to talk and she can probably hook you up with someone in your area. She doesn't charge to talk to anyone.

Under The Shield: http://undertheshield.org, or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Under-...972954&sk=info
    Susan's Contact Info: http://undertheshield.org/contactus/
    Susan's cell: (334) 324-3570

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    As Doc and WDW said, once you get into the system it works well. Sadly, due to some unanticipated factors coupled with some poor planning, getting into the system has become a problem.
    Yeah, those 10.5 years of sustained war really snuck up on us.............

Still, "getting into the system" is part of "care" isn't it? Or are we really going to split hairs about medical treatment only taking place AFTER a doctor is seen.......not when a doctor is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Yeah, those 10.5 years of sustained war really snuck up on us.............

Still, "getting into the system" is part of "care" isn't it? Or are we really going to split hairs about medical treatment only taking place AFTER a doctor is seen.......not when a doctor is needed?
    Well, if you want to split hairs, it is hard to argue about whether the care is any good or not if you are not in the system getting any care, right? And no, the war didn't sneak up on us, the way the war has affected soldiers and how we will care for them is different than the model we were using. And I suppose I could break out all the surveys that show vets being more satisfied with VA care than civilians are with the public health system. Not that it matters to me, I think any vet having to wait for any care is a problem. But we as a nation have decided that there are lilmits to the funds we will expend, so we sort of have to make do with what we get.

so basically what your saying is that the guys that put it 2-5 combat tours just have to make do with what we get? I'm not trying to sound frustrated but that's absurd. that might be fine for some fobbit or mail clerk but when your in the infantry that shit catches up with your real quick.

Well, if you want to split hairs, it is hard to argue about whether the care is any good or not if you are not in the system getting any care, right? And no, the war didn't sneak up on us, the way the war has affected soldiers and how we will care for them is different than the model we were using. And I suppose I could break out all the surveys that show vets being more satisfied with VA care than civilians are with the public health system. Not that it matters to me, I think any vet having to wait for any care is a problem. But we as a nation have decided that there are lilmits to the funds we will expend, so we sort of have to make do with what we get.
    This model?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Seriously? How do you manage to speak fondly about a system that can't even take care of less than 1% of the population, after its government sends them into combat, because "we as a nation decided that there are limits to the funds we will expend, so we sort of have to make do with what we get", yet think this system, if forced upon the other 99%, will magically become capable of handling preventative, selective and emergency medicine is truly breath taking.

I applaud your ability to compartmentalize reality.

ETA: I believe Sean said something similar a long while back in here or the "premiums" thread, but that didn't back you away from this line of thought either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List