Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The VA is Worthless

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I went to the VA yesterday to get help with PTSD. I just wanted to talk with someone, get some counseling. So, I went into the OIF/OEF Clinic to set up an appointment. The receptionist responded by asking me how Tues was.....at 1300.....on June 25th. I almost burst out laughing. 3 month wait to get a 30min appt. just to talk to somebody. Unbelievable!
    That's absurd.

On the bright side, I'm sure some of our membership here is able to provide some level of support. Hell, if nobody else will talk, you can always give me a call. I'm no expert, but I'll do what I can.
    3/15/2016

From experience an emergency room trip due to mental health issues will not place you under disability. treat the staff with respect and don't get pink slipped, and you're good. Hang in there!
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

I used Military One source for the inbetween.

If you want to talk I am avaliable 24/7. Been though my own PTSD issues some more serious than others.

My buddy Rick might know someone in your area. He has a lot of resources, and is a great guy and has gone through it too. At least until you can get in to the VA.

I think he is worth a call. He would be happy to hear from you. 505.798.2535

His Ranch

Hang in there...

The VA in Palo Alto, CA generally offers very good care once you get into their system.

No doubt! VA offers excellent care....once you get in. But that's the problem. My wife actually works for the VA & without her connections, I wouldn't be as far along in the process as I am. I just don't understand how it takes 6 months for a Veteran to be able to just talk to a Dr. I mean, what if I really was a critical case, who one day decided to seek help & was told to come back in 6 months. I mean, no wonder 18 veterans committ suicide everyday. They get turned away!!!

Yeah, that really does surprise me.

I've seen the VA for routine, specialty and emergency care (rabies vaccines). The ER at the Philly VAMC was always near empty when I went for my 4 rabies shots (my clinic doesn't carry them). My primary at my clinic can usually see me same day if necessary, and has been ultra cool.....he even went back and retested a whole bunch of stuff that he was unsure about whether the military assessed correctly when I was AD. The techs I've dealt with for MRIs and blood work have been super cool guys, ditto the nurses. All in all, the actual care providers I've had with the VA have been awesome and access to care hasn't been a problem for me. The MRI was only a couple weeks out from when my doctor referred me for it, and the same with physical therapy.

The big problem.....and what a problem it is.....is the administrative problems I wrote you about. It's fun having $60k in collection while they neglect to pay your medical bills for an emergency, life-saving surgery. When I saw the patient advocate at Philly about it, he was a huge fat slob that tried to give me condescending lines about how the VA wasn't responsible anyway. Quoting the Mill Bill and VA Health Directive 2009-033 was enough to make him shut up and do the bare minimum of his job.....which accounted to about nothing. Let's not forget the fact that it took over 3 weeks after I was released from the hospital to even get in contact with the Philly Fee Basis office to find out how to proceed with the bills.....oh, which they ended up giving me bogus info about.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

What's funny is when I went, I did not disclose my financial info. I was then told that since I did not tell them how much money I made/had, I would be responsible for all co pays & any meds/services provided. So, I then decided to provide my financial info & was subsequently told that I had too much money & would have to pay all the aforementioned. I was like what!?! I think I'm just gonna get counseling from a private practice & leave the VA to those who "truly" need it I guess. Apparently, I'm not worthy.

Hey, if you ever need to talk to another vet feel free to pm me and we can exchange contact info. one of
    my friends from my Afghan deployments calls me all the time, hang in there brother.

I have friends who are associated with these folks;
    http://www.facebook.com/LifeAfterCombat

Lots of people involved. Let me know If I can help in any way.

User Tag List