Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 0r 2 eyes open

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    I only slightly close my left eye when shooting open sights on a pistol if the shot has to be very precise and the distance is 25 yards or more.
    I do very similar to John. I usually shoot IDPA and always shoot with both eyes open unless the distance goes out to 25 yards or more.
    Music City Tactical Shooters

I found that in my early shooting days I used one eye to make sure I was aligning the sights correctly. Over time I've naturally become more comfortable and both eyes are open. It's one of those things that each person is different and will learn over time or start right away. I wouldn't sweat it if you close one eye, but if it is due to something like vision issues see an eye doctor to get it corrected.

I still close or partially close one eye for some long distance shots.

Bill Rogers - Shooting With Both Eyes Open
    http://www.panteaoproductions.com/protips/29

Shooting walk back drills on 3x5 cards, I can hit accurately with both eyes open until I reach 15 yards. Then I switch to the left eye, which is my non-dominant eye, but has better vision than the right eye. Which qualifies me for being legitimately screwed up, I think.

Both eyes for carbine/handgun, unless shooting carbine from my non dominant side (left), where I'll use my left eye only.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Both eyes for carbine/handgun, unless shooting carbine from my non dominant side (left), where I'll use my left eye only.
    I was wondering about that. Nearly impossible to get a good sight picture with both eyes open support side. Thanks for letting me know I've been doing it right.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

2 eyes are always better than 1. I shoot 2 eyes open with every gun. You may have to do some dry fire training to get the left eye to work like u want it but it will come. I had to do a lot of squinting of the left eye to get it to cooperate and not see things double. This winter I plan to work on training both eyes to allow me to use the left eye during weak handed shooting.

So do you just remember which of the two targets to aim at?

I'm cross dominant. If I focus on the front sight, I can see two copies of the rear sight, and two copies of the target. I've gotten decent at looking at the correct transparent version of the rear sight, but then I still am presented with two identical, out of focus, copies of the target. Is this not what everyone else sees? Do you just remember to shoot one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Is this not what everyone else sees? Do you just remember to shoot one or the other?
    I'm cross-dominant, and see only one blurry target. Possibly I'm mentally editing out the second?

I shoot with both eyes open when using a Dot at all ranges.

For Irons, both eyes open on close range targets but I tend to close one eye just to focus on aligning the sights for long range ones.
    [ http://gunbot.org | http://youtube.com/gunrobot ]

User Tag List