Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me analize this please

Here's my take: You should be able to pick up a Glock and use the same finger placement as you do with any other gun. If it doesn't hit where you want it to, don't go to the gun, make the gun come to you. If you don't, you become the gun's slave and have to take a special grip or finger placement for that gun. That action then, requires thought for every other gun you pick up.
    Move the sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post

Thanks fixer, If I am anticipating recoil I don't realize it and I can't figure out why. The sound is certainly not a problem to me, I have great ear pro. The force of the recoil matters not to me either so if I am anticipating it, wonder why? I read a lot on this site last night including several articles and videos that were linked from here, lots of information........ I am going to experiment with finger placement as soon as I can.

David
    This generic diagnostic chart was helpful for me to decrease--not eliminate--a left bias in shooting glocks. As far as why you are anticipating...I get a bit of anticipation when my wrists get fatigued after a good number of rounds. My ear pro is good to. The recoil doesn't bother me either. But when my faculties get fatigued, I overcompensate for recoil control and the result is anticipation.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B1272%3B1531

Site Supporter
    If it were me, and there wasn't anyone clueful around who could watch me shoot, I would bench the gun and shoot a few groups. See if the left and high issue only exists in your hands (unsupported), or if it exists when the gun is stabilized too.

It's difficult to do this online because we're getting the answer to a math problem without seeing the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by jkm View Post
    Here's my take: You should be able to pick up a Glock and use the same finger placement as you do with any other gun. If it doesn't hit where you want it to, don't go to the gun, make the gun come to you. If you don't, you become the gun's slave and have to take a special grip or finger placement for that gun. That action then, requires thought for every other gun you pick up.
    Move the sights.
    True, it's not like you cant move it back, right.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    This generic diagnostic chart was helpful for me to decrease--not eliminate--a left bias in shooting glocks. As far as why you are anticipating...I get a bit of anticipation when my wrists get fatigued after a good number of rounds. My ear pro is good to. The recoil doesn't bother me either. But when my faculties get fatigued, I overcompensate for recoil control and the result is anticipation.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B1272%3B1531
    Thanks fixer!

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    If it were me, and there wasn't anyone clueful around who could watch me shoot, I would bench the gun and shoot a few groups. See if the left and high issue only exists in your hands (unsupported), or if it exists when the gun is stabilized too.

It's difficult to do this online because we're getting the answer to a math problem without seeing the equation.
    Exactly JV, If I had an accomplished instructor within driving distance I would pay him for a few hours of diagnosis and instruction on the range.
    David

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I would pay him for a few hours of diagnosis and instruction on the range.
    When you consider the price of ammo, as well as how much of it you might burn trying to fix it or unlearning a bad habit, a clueful instructor can save you a lot of money in the long run. They can also save a lot of frustration.

If you don't want to spend the money on an instructor, definitely bench/table the gun. I usually support my forearms and nothing else. If the magazine touches anything hard, it can throw shots high.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    When you consider the price of ammo, as well as how much of it you might burn trying to fix it or unlearning a bad habit, a clueful instructor can save you a lot of money in the long run. They can also save a lot of frustration.

If you don't want to spend the money on an instructor, definitely bench/table the gun. I usually support my forearms and nothing else. If the magazine touches anything hard, it can throw shots high.
    OK JV thanks, I'll give that a try.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It's almost impossible that your sights could be off by 3" at 15yd, especially as both windage and elevation would have to be misaligned that much.

Wall Drill and Ball & Dummy are where I'd start.
    Here's some great advice from a "clueful instructor". Ball & Dummy will tell you immediately if you're flinching, jerking or anticipating.

Dave, if you are in striking distance of Columbia, I'm more than happy to host you at my range. I also have a Glock sight tool if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Dave, if you are in striking distance of Columbia, I'm more than happy to host you at my range. I also have a Glock sight tool if it comes to that.
    Great Al, I am in Florence. I would like very much to do that. Can you send me some info or a link please sir?
    Thanks, David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 03-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.

User Tag List