Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: controlled round feed Vs. push feed

controlled round feed Vs. push feed

I've been doing some research, that has lead me to believe that a lot of what is being said about the benefits of push feed theoretical, and practically overstated.

I'm looking at purchasing either a Remington 700,or a Winchester Model 70. Hence the debate. Does anyone have any personal experience with problems/malfunctions with either action--not something that they read somewhere on the internet?

Site Supporter
    With a 700, I frequently throw a round in the chamber and it gets wedged against the far wall. I have to drop the floorplate to get it free. It's called a "Remington moment". It irritates me enough that all of my 700s are gone and I'm only using actions, like a Surgeon, that have the anti-bind rail.

Now, I also use DBMs, so the issue is also solved with the mag.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.

I've got nothing to offer except a link:
    http://artoftherifle.blogspot.com/20...g-through.html
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

I think just pure QC wise the Winchester is the better gun. Lately Remington's QC has been crappy.

That said, I have been running a couple of Savage .308s for a few years now, and run one of them pretty hard, without issues. The Savage guns are all push feed.

Site Supporter
    What will the rifle be used for?

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I think just pure QC wise the Winchester is the better gun. Lately Remington's QC has been crappy.

That said, I have been running a couple of Savage .308s for a few years now, and run one of them pretty hard, without issues. The Savage guns are all push feed.
    I have a .308 Hog Gun on layaway thanks to you in that Practical Rifle thread.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't usually get into these discussions because I'm not really a bolt rifle guy per se, at least not modern rifles. I've shot a lot more vintage rifles. But I was underwhelmed when I managed to have a "Remington Moment" with a buddy's brand new 700 police a few years ago. It jammed on me while I was shooting/loading and I made a joke- to cover my embarassment - about that not happening with my model 70s or 98 Mausers.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I have a .308 Hog Gun on layaway thanks to you in that Practical Rifle thread.
    Let me know how that thing shoots, I'm interested in one myself.

Iak,

I have no issues with non-CRF rifles if they are not dangerous game rifles. The big advantage of CRF rifles is that they make short stroking a survivable error.

On a slightly different note, if you will get into the habit of always loading cartridges into the magazine and briskly run the bolt by using the web between your thumb and forefinger, the difference between the two systems is diminished.

I have a LTR and a M70. I've had one Remington moment with the LTR, and one double feed with the winnie. I've only got maybe 600 rounds on each gun so take it for what it's worth. My take away so far is that if you don't take your bolt work seriously, you can jam up anything...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List