Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Glock Armorers Course (03/2013)

AAR: Glock Armorers Course (03/2013)

I recently attended a Glock Armorers Course to recertify my cred. The following items are highlights from my notes during the class with additional observations as pertinent. Not all items are new, but may be of current or common interest and discussion.

Instructor: Erich Clark. Erich was a capable instructor who did an excellent job with the class. I’ve had most of those who have taught the AC, and Erich is among the better. He taught well, used the official GI powerpoint, but was not reliant upon it for information transfer. Given some of his background, competencies, and teaching ability thus far I would be interested in trying another course from him.

Class Materials: The guns brought to work on were G23s, standard FG/R (gen3) that were unremarkable. GI provided a new armorers tool, orange slide cover plate to check engagement, the 2013 Glock Annual, and some goodies. The 2013 Armorers Manual was issued, along with two separate addendums, one a “US Addendum” and the other specific to the gen4. The powerpoint for the class can be purchased from GI, following a signed waiver/agreement.

Production in General

• Glock is currently making ~5k guns a day or so, and is 1.2M guns backordered. Normal backorder is 100k.
    • Agency and military orders should expect 90 day delivery. All others, including blue label I/O purchases and commercial customers are 9-12 months.
    • A 9mm single stack and the carbine exist but are pending release at some point in the future. Glock also makes a suppressor for the overseas market.
    • “T” models are available in gen4, and a G19T variant is available as well. They incorporate additional blue markings on the slide to insure proper ID as sim guns. They also lack the FX-specific markings due to their compatibility with other similar munitions now available (esp ATK FoF).

Receiver

• If you have a receiver with the ambidextrous catch, Glock will swap your receiver for a reversible catch receiver for free.
    • The medium magazine catch (FBI catch) is available, and about the mid point between the existing standard and extended catches.
    • The lower receiver is referred to as an MBS, Multi Backstrap System.
    • New gen4 Glocks have begun shipping with four inserts. One medium, one large, and one of each with a beavertail.
    • Trigger pins in new guns are applied with a glue-ish compound to prevent corrosion. They should be expected to come out hard at first.
    • The (.) connector came out 7/22/2011.
    • The gen4 trigger mechanism housing created a 5-degree difference increasing pull weight to ~6.5#, in addition to fitment issues, necessitating a unique part.
    • NY1 trigger spring is OD, nominal pull weight of 8#. NY2 spring is orange, and nominal pull weight of 12#.
    • New cruciform markings: (.)=9/40, 4256-1=45/10, (..)=45gap, “1704”=G36.
    • Gritty and difficult triggers may be a result of incorrectly oriented coil trigger springs. The coil end rubs along the trigger mechanism housing. The gen4 trigger w/ trigger bar incorporates curvature and a guide slot to orient the spring correctly.
    • (+) trigger bars, so marked on the cruciform, came about for pre-EH G19s due to a production glitch raising slide rail height and decreasing engagement. In other guns, they can be used to correct engagement issues and other special conditions.
    • The locking block pin is referred to several times in print as “the first pin”, as it’s the first pin removed and reinstalled.
    • Manual addition: Blue, red, and orange mag floor plates are listed and pictured.

Slide/Barrel

• The slide serrations on the RTF2 were of Austrian origin for purposes of aesthetics. Facing the wrong direction, they function as a “forward assist” for the slide rather than aiding in retraction.
    • Glock slides and barrels are now nitrided. The change occurred in 2009 in US guns and 2010 in Austrian. Nitration is not tennifer. It still has a hardness of 64 of the Rockwell C scale, and is 99% saltwater corrosion protected. Nitrided slides can be distinguished bv a shinier surface over the flatter black of the tennifer slides.
    • Glock barrels are now test fired at 200% pressure. The old standard was 130% pressure.
    • Two guide ring (nose ring) profiles exist in the gen4 affecting RSA fit. Current production has a bevel, and the new RSAs are backwards compatible.
    • The numbers on the gen4 RSAs should be read left, right, and then bottom. Reading them otherwise has created confusion. Those numbers are not the part number for the RSA, and using them as such will create confusion.
    • Gen3 and earlier RSAs may have a dash number (###-#). The dash number indicates that it is the current type. Those RSAs have Zytel added for additional heat resistance.
    • Replace gen3 and earlier RSAs at 2500 rounds. Replace gen4 RSAs at 5000.
    • The copper substance applied in production is beryllium copper grease, anti-seize compound to prevent corrosion and seizure in guns that may be transported or stored for long intervals. It is Loctite C5A.
    • The “12:00 test” remains in the curriculum to test the RSA.
    • The LCI exists to satisfy requirements in states requiring same, and was standardized across production. It should not be relied upon to determine the gun’s loaded status.
    • Extractor 30274 is now standard in 9mms.
    • The .40SW round is “already loaded to the brink of explosion.”
    • FP markings are changing to hash marks from alpha characters. One mark is 9/380, two is 40/357/45GAP, and three is large frames.
    • Manual addition: The end of the FP spring with the most compressed coils goes forward.
    • Manual addition: The Glock channel maintenance kit and tools are listed and discussed.
    • Manual addition: Headspace, barrel, and extractor gauge are listed and discussed.
    • Manual addition: Different FP springs, along with the maritime spring cups are listed.

Misc

• The Glock will run with nine parts removed or in a state of failure, unlike popular competitor product. They are the trigger spring, locking block pin, trigger pin, trigger mechanism housing pin, locking insert in the magazine, FP safety and spring, ejector, and slide stop. The mag release can also be removed and the gun will run, with attention to mag seating.
    • Current minimum trigger bar/firing pin lug engagement: 66%. If you think you see 50%, you’re probably good.
    • If you use Hoppes in your Glock, don’t let it sit for extended periods due to the interaction of the ammonium nitrate and nickel. Best to use something else altogether.
    • Clean the Glock when new, after shooting, monthly, and as necessary. Also noting, it will go for extended periods other than those, but it is advisable for working guns to be clean.
    • Maintenance acronym: SAMM: Shooter, Ammunition, Maintenance, Mechanical Failure
    • If you experience functioning problems with attached weapon lights, the problem is usually corrected by backing out the attachment screw, having a good (new) RSA, and 11-coil mag springs (10-coil in compacts).
    • Manual addition: There is a factory recommended spare parts list published.

Witty quotes from the class:

Student, re: the S&W Sigma (“Smegma”): “Why do you want a gun named after the cheese that grows under your ball sack?”

Instructor: “What does oil attract?”
    Student: “Morons.”

Student: “Inside every G23 is a G19 trying to get out.”

Instructor, re: low LE shooting performance standards: “No shooter left behind.”

Student, re: the extended slide stop lever: “why would I need an extended lever to hold the slide open?”
    Last edited by ST911; 03-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Interesting information, thanks for passing it along.

Thanks for posting. I should hopefully be catching AC in June. Can you elaborate on the Hoppes issue? I'm curious because I frequently use Hoppes #9 on my Glocks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Thanks for posting. I should hopefully be catching AC in June. Can you elaborate on the Hoppes issue? I'm curious because I frequently use Hoppes #9 on my Glocks.
    It will make the nickel coating peel/flake.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

Thanks for posting - some good information in here.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    [*]A 9mm single stack and the carbine exist but are pending release at some point in the future. Glock also makes a suppressor for the overseas market.
    Lies!!

Site Supporter
    The (disposable) Glock suppressor isn't a secret. There are demo videos available on YouTube.

Singlestack 9mm?

Yeah. Right.

I also believe in strippers working their way through school.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Lies!!

Yeah the disposable cans are available in 40 and 45. Pretty quiet.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Did they mention anything about the erratic ejection problems?

User Tag List