Page 268 of 323 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 3230

Thread: Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Just for clarity, isn't that the term for the Glock backstrap/beavertail?

I'll guess this is what you are talking about - the Xgrip. https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/92-...black/eu00089/
    Ha. Thanks for that. I was wondering if GripForce was doing some new stuff, and thought maybe my google-fu was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    Ha. Thanks for that. I was wondering if GripForce was doing some new stuff, and thought maybe my google-fu was bad.
    OK X-grip, sorry, didn't mean to be misleading. But that's the ticket there. I was just thinking off the top of my head. I have one and I'm planning buying a couple more. I have a full size 92 as well and I just like the way the compact shoots better.

Site Supporter
    After messing with X-grips on the 92 compact, as well as the P2000sk and M&P9C in the past, I've concluded that they're great for the magazine already in the gun, when it makes sense to use a larger mag. However, they're not great for reload magazines, due to the added bulk and potential for fouling the reload. I've found it's better to carry a plain full size spare mag, and accept having a slightly less optimal grip surface in the event I do need to reload, than to deal with the negatives.

I've had a few instances where the x-grip prevented the reload mag from fully seating, and although I could probably avoid that with perfect technique, I don't like increasing the chances of inducing a malfunction under stress. I've occasionally experimented with various glues and screws to keep the x-grips from sliding around on the spare mags, with mixed results. But even if the adapter stays in place and doesn't move, the extra bulk is still a negative, IMO.

I really like the x-grips for travel, since they give you the option to "upsize" a compact gun, or not, depending on the situation and concealment requirements. But I've found I don't have much use for owning multiple examples of each type of x-grip, since it's so easy to move them between mags.

All IMHO, FWIW, etc.

Dave J,

My experience with magazine sleeves are about the same as yours. I have gotten more pinch hands than I care to think about.

For the Beretta compact, with the pinky ledge on the magazine, it forces my hand up onto the grip. So, I get a full firing grip, just a little tight. I swear the full size 92 seems to have just a bit more length than a G19 or M&P, but not a huge amount.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Dave J,

For the Beretta compact, with the pinky ledge on the magazine, it forces my hand up onto the grip. So, I get a full firing grip, just a little tight. I swear the full size 92 seems to have just a bit more length than a G19 or M&P, but not a huge amount.
    It's pretty much the same for me. I really like my 92 Compact, but find that most of the time I can conceal a Centurion just as easily, so the compact doesn't get much use anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    It's pretty much the same for me. I really like my 92 Compact, but find that most of the time I can conceal a Centurion just as easily, so the compact doesn't get much use anymore.
    I have been concealing a full size, all steel gun aiwb under a tee shirt for a while now, the Centurion grip doesn't bother me. That slightly shorter slide points well though. I missed a good deal on one in GB because my cash was tied up. About $500 shipped for a used 92 cent. I still don't understand why my daughter needs an education.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    After messing with X-grips on the 92 compact, as well as the P2000sk and M&P9C in the past, I've concluded that they're great for the magazine already in the gun, when it makes sense to use a larger mag. However, they're not great for reload magazines, due to the added bulk and potential for fouling the reload. I've found it's better to carry a plain full size spare mag, and accept having a slightly less optimal grip surface in the event I do need to reload, than to deal with the negatives.
    Another point of view, and I admit up front that it may be an apples-and-oranges thing. I have a Walther P99C and use a full-size with the grip sleeve for my reload mag. Using the full-size mag with grip sleeve in the gun defeats, for me, the purpose of carrying a compact gun. Even worse, since the sleeve becomes part of the grip when used, it hangs up on my hand when I eject it, making ejection a two-hand affair. The compact mag, OTOH, pops right out. I haven't used the above guns so I might be all wet here.

As for using full-size mags without the sleeve, I've read that that can screw up one's ejector except on Glocks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Another point of view, and I admit up front that it may be an apples-and-oranges thing. I have a Walther P99C and use a full-size with the grip sleeve for my reload mag. Using the full-size mag with grip sleeve in the gun defeats, for me, the purpose of carrying a compact gun. Even worse, since the sleeve becomes part of the grip when used, it hangs up on my hand when I eject it, making ejection a two-hand affair. The compact mag, OTOH, pops right out. I haven't used the above guns so I might be all wet here.
    My thought is that if I can carry more rounds in the gun to begin with, that's more important to me than reload efficiency. If I really need a compact, then of course I'm using a compact mag. But if I'm away from home and don't have a larger gun available, I can use the sleeves to upsize the compact when concealment isn't as critical.

As for using full-size mags without the sleeve, I've read that that can screw up one's ejector except on Glocks.
    The over insertion potential is definitely something I've considered. With regards to the 92 compact, at least on mine, it appears to me that the only way to bash the extractor is to keep the mag release button depressed while slamming in the mag. Otherwise, the mag catch halts the upward motion before the feed lip contacts the extractor. With my sloth-like reloads, I'm in no danger of outrunning the mag catch. Even for the really fast guys, it seems to me it would really require a timing malfunction with the digit on the mag release to have a problem.

As far as other guns, I was not especially concerned with the P2000sk, since the extractor appears quite robust. OTOH, I was concerned with the M&P 9C. However, I do most of my shooting with full size guns and only downsize to a compact when necessary, so I'm not doing a lot of speed reload practice with the compacts that would repeatedly stress the extractor.

Longtime forum members may remember TLG breaking the extractor nose on his SA 9mm 1911, but IIRC the gun survived a bunch of really fast reloads before it broke.
    Last edited by Dave J; 04-22-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Well, I'm now an annoying religious convert. I haven't shot a beretta in probably 23 years. And I decided to trade a 1911 I had on a whim for a Wilson BrigTac with action tune. After one range session today I was shooting it as well as my regular gun (Wilson EDC X9), maybe even better in accuracy, but much slower times (I haven't really don't DA/SA for real in probably 10 years). I liked it so much I might, after just one session, use it for IDPA. . And to those beretta people on this board, thanks for all the unasked help. I really learned a lot about the platform on this board. And if there's a cool compact in the offing, I think I'll buy it. The BrigTac is a honking big gun though. I'm 5'6" so it's like an oompa loompa carrying a hockey stick.

Newt
    Last edited by newt; 04-23-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    My thought is that if I can carry more rounds in the gun to begin with, that's more important to me than reload efficiency. If I really need a compact, then of course I'm using a compact mag. But if I'm away from home and don't have a larger gun available, I can use the sleeves to upsize the compact when concealment isn't as critical.
    I generally agree. When making the gun as small as possible isn’t the highest priority, I welcome the option to go from 13+1 to 17+1 in the gun.
    I find that, no matter what size magazine is being ejected, I need to extend (uncurl) my pinkie finger to ensure the mag doesn’t hang up, and to minimize the risk of pinching flesh when seating the new magazine. So for me, the sleeve has little impact on reloads.

I’ve primarily carried a Langdon-tuned 92 Compact since 2003. I trained with it, and competed in IDPA (before CCP was a thing). I always used full-sized mags for reloads. This gun has thousands of rounds through it, and many hundreds, if not a couple thousand vigorous reloads using full-length mags. It’s only a sample size of one, but I’ve not had any extractor issues.
    For me, the mag sleeve is a convenient way to make a Compact feel like a Centurian, while retaining the ability to also have a “Compact” (for a 92) -sized gun when desired.

User Tag List