Page 84 of 323 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

I have the low-pro safety on both of my FS model Beretta's. After nearly a year of use I have yet to inadvertently engage the safety and I wouldn't carry an FS without this modification. Still, if you're sending it off to Wilson anyway you might as well go with the G conversion. If Beretta had reintroduced the G before I bought my first FS I'd own two G's instead.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    An opposing view.

I have shot the Beretta for most of the 20 years I've been shooting and carrying a pistol and I've yet to inadvertently engage the safety and the only time I recall seeing it was with a soldier who was used to a 1911 and flipped it on during the draw out of habit. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it may be more isolated that you think it is. For many years I just used the safety and trained to flip it off during the presentation. Maybe I have just the right size thumb, but I never had a problem manipulating the safety either. When I got my G and started shooting Sigs more, I stopped using the safety more out of laziness than anything else. I'd say that unless you have issues manipulating the safety or in your handling of the pistol think there is a likelyhood of you accidentally engaging the safety, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't.

I've used a low profile safety on my FS carry Beretta. Very comfortable with it as-is, and I trust it to not be bumped on. I got mine from Allegheny Gun Works, and it's the same as the Wilson part, just without the Wilson logo.

I have accidentally engaged the factory lever, although after that, I changed the way I grab the slide for admin handling and malfunction clearing drills and it never happened again with the standard levers, the low profile unit was just added insurance for me.

At this point, I'd almost rather have an F type with a low profile safety than a G. Almost. That's entirely due to the fact that I find it a lot easier to strip an F slide than a G, coupled with the fact that, again, I've yet to inadvertently engage the low profile F lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    At this point, I'd almost rather have an F type with a low profile safety than a G. Almost. That's entirely due to the fact that I find it a lot easier to strip an F slide than a G, coupled with the fact that, again, I've yet to inadvertently engage the low profile F lever.
    Thanks for that input. I've seen guys comment about the difficulty of stripping the G slide and wondered if the advantage of decocker only outweighs the complexity of the G slide. I did my early semi auto shooting with S&W TDA guns and never had a problem with the safety inadvertently getting engaged, but I can see how it could happen. I use the safety/decocker as a decocker only anyway.

Hmm. Someone is selling a lnib two-tone M9A1 Compact 9mm with upgraded G10 grips, screws and stainless steel guide rod for $595 locally. I won't lie that this thread has me considering it.

Site Supporter
    I bought a new M9A1 this weekend. I'm a long-time user of 1911 pistols, but I'm also a long-time user of double action revolvers and I finally decided to purchase a new pistol if for no other reason than to learn more about the TDA system.

Now I have a new-fangled chrunchenticker. And it shoots those tiny europellets. Probably go right through someone and they won't even know it assuming it breaks the skin. Before I know it I'll have kids running all over my lawn. Oh and they put the safety in the wrong place.

Okay enough silliness. I have to say I like the pistol. The build quality seems very good -- I'm not crazy about the polymer parts but so far I don't feel motivated to change them out for metal ones. The double action trigger is a little heavy but very smooth -- it reminds me of a S&W revolver trigger.

I can't say whether I will ever use the Beretta as a primary defense weapon -- if I do, I will probably explore having tritium sights installed and possibly a G model conversion. The D spring seems like an easy and inexpensive upgrade so I will probably at least do that. But I plan to shoot the gun as is for a while to get accustomed to it and see how I get on with TDA in general.

Stupid question: Can you get a compact with dovetails on the front? I haven't been able to find anything about it so I suspect not.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Stupid question: Can you get a compact with dovetails on the front? I haven't been able to find anything about it so I suspect not.
    Not yet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not yet.
    Sounds like theres one coming out in the future? Are there any details?

Site Supporter

Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

I'm guessing that if GJM knows, he wouldn't be able to say. But I've heard that Bill Wilson likes 92 compacts, and we know he likes dovetailed sights, so I'm hopeful that WC will influence Beretta to make the right slides for another collaborative project.

User Tag List