Page 1 of 323 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

Seems everywhere I look (slight exaggeration), folks are talking about Beretta pistols. I see an Elite II going for crazy prices on GunBroker, and lots of mention of this new 92FS Compact.

What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems everywhere I look (slight exaggeration), folks are talking about Beretta pistols. I see an Elite II going for crazy prices on GunBroker, and lots of mention of this new 92FS Compact.

What gives?
    what gives is that Beretta used to make great pistols (basically any -G config 92 version) and they stopped. So they are obviously very expensive and in demand.

As for the M9A1 Compact, I don't really know. I guess maybe people just want to see something new.

Site Supporter
    If it's between a non G Beretta and a Sig, I'll take the Sig every time.

this Elite is at $1,525 with 4 days left to run on the auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=332801377

Holy shit! I have had a customers for some time now to make an AIWB and thought it was some goofy 2-tone Beretta from the late 90's that no one liked or cared for.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Holy shit! I have had a customers for some time now to make an AIWB and thought it was some goofy 2-tone Beretta from the late 90's that no one liked or cared for.
    They're about as cult-y as a Beretta gets, dude.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've been pondering one of the nice Berettas for a little bit; comments like JV's above and reading about GJM's re-discovery of the Sig keep me from spending money.
    #RESIST

Count me as one of those nuts who doesn't mind the safety on a FS Beretta. I have longish thumbs and I train to off safe when I draw, much like a 1911 thumb safety. That said I use my G model the most...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    comments like JV's above
    Here's my thought: I don't want a manual safety on the hammer fired DA/SA, especially one that's difficult for me to reach. Other than the super smooth slide to frame feel, what does the 92 do better than a 226? For me, nothing. Since all of the regular Sigs are G/"decock only", and their readily available, it's a no brainier.

Also, with the E2 grips, I can more easily reach the mag release than on a 92.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    For me, the Beretta has always fit my hands better than the Sig. I can use all the controls and I don't neuter the slide release when I grip the pistol.

I'm not sure why the Beretta is suddenly gaining favor again. The Beretta 92 was the first handgun I ever purchased, largely because I'd been fantasizing about it since I first encountered the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon franchises. I mean, if you can't watch that scene where John McClane wastes all those bad guys in the airport (who had just efficiently wiped out an entire SWAT team, but couldn't kill one guy armed with a pistol for some reason) with the 92 without feeling at least some bite from the cool factor, then there's no light in your soul.

Shortly after finding out people talked about guns on the internet, I was treated to all kinds of stories about how the Beretta 92 shattered like plate glass if you fired more than X rounds through it. Or how it beheaded like 4 dozen SEAL operators when slides broke. Etc. I got so intrigued I actually started looking for documentation of all these horrors and found that the situation wasn't quite what the internet said it would be. (Shocker) So I wrote a little ditty about it.

The myth of the plate-glass Beretta seemed to die down a bit, and once the military stopped using Checkmate mags the furor seemed to die down.

If they are experiencing a resurgence in popularity, possible explanations would be:

- After a few incidents where somebody has managed to injure (or in some cases even kill) themselves with a striker fired handgun that has a ~ 5 pound trigger and no safety, some people are beginning to think that there really is more to this safety thing than boogerhook and bangswitch.

- Potentially being bored with Glocks.

- A sort of hipster retro-cool cache attached to a much maligned pistol

- Belated recognition that they really were pretty darn good guns

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    this Elite is at $1,525 with 4 days left to run on the auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=332801377
    When I was heavy into Berettas, that was one of the pimp-daddy, gotta-have-it Beretta options. I actually have a Gen I Elite, but I got into the 1911 black hole before I could snag an Elite II.

The holy grail was:

Name:  tumblr_lj9i8iadYG1qhgv3ao1_500.jpg
Views: 11061
Size:  48.7 KB

Steel frame, frame-mounted safety, do want.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List