Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P220R Malfunctions

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ouch.

Yeah, he gave you the run around.

I hate hearing about stuff like that from a once great company.
    I agree...not sure what to do about my P220 (formed steel slide), now that it appears they won't have the parts to bring it back to life, should it fail. After reading ToddG's post about parts, I looked online, and the Breech Block is sold out or unavailable at every place that lists them.

Apparently, after a four year wait, Bruce Grey will be releasing his new extractor for the stainless slide, internal extractor P220. If its like the original design, it requires minor machining of the slide to make it work so it won't be a drop-in part. There is a thread at Sigforum about the new extractor.

Update:

I was able to have the recoil spring replaced, and have the magazines cleaned. I test fired about 50 rds. through the pistol, and did not experience any malfunctions.

Thanks all for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr3 View Post
    Update:

I was able to have the recoil spring replaced, and have the magazines cleaned. I test fired about 50 rds. through the pistol, and did not experience any malfunctions.

Thanks all for the advice.
    If you can, I'd run about 500rds through that thing, it being a duty gun and all, before I would trust it again. Awesome though if it's just a simple fix like a recoil spring. I ran across a guy the other day on a really good forum here in TN, www.tngunowners.com, where a guy had an older P220 w/an internal extractor that he claimed to have 30,000+ rds w/few if any malfunctions.

Update:

The pistol is still having issues returning to battery during a string of fire, and often will not lock the slide back on the magazine. My armorer supposedly replaced the recoil spring.

Can anyone recommend a good source of Sig springs?

Also, would a Wolff 24 lb. recoil spring be a possible solution to the failure to return to battery issue?

Thanks!

We are diminished
    Failure to lockback on SIGs is caused by shooter error 95% of the time, and very often by people who are certain they are not the cause of the problem. Load up all of your magazines with one round and shoot each of them left hand only (doesn't matter if you're right or left handed). Note any magazines that fail to lock the slide back. If they all lock back, then the gun and mags are fine and inadvertently you're riding the slide release during recoil.

Many things could be contributing to the failure to go into battery, but regardless of the cause it's a serious problem. If your armorer can't fix it, the gun needs to return to SIG for inspection.

Thank you for the suggestions Todd.

The extractor tension is too great. The good news is that it should loosen up and run fine for a while before it fails catastrophically.

I was taking a Bruce Gray class and my P220 suddenly started double feeding - like multiple times in a magazine. Bruce pulled the extractor and tried to tweak it and get it running again. When the extractor had too much tension, it would do just what your picture is showing. Despite Bruce's best efforts we could not get it right and the gun was DRT.

I'm working with Sig on my issue and I think I can get a complete P220 slide assembly for ~$250. If you need something right now, I've seen the caliber X-Change kits for as low as $286. That's a complete slide, barrel, recoil spring assembly and night sights.

For instance:
    http://store.prairiearms.com/store/p...ANGE-KIT-45AC/

If you're willing to wait, Bruce swears that his new P220 extractor fix should be out very soon. Besides a new extractor with proper tension, they machine the slide to allow the extractor to sit higher. Bruce swears that the extractor should be good for the life of the gun.

It has been my experience that the P220 is the worst classic service pistol Sig makes (carefully worded to exempt the odious P250). I was issued a German made, rolled slide P220 nearly 2 decades ago; it was so problematic that I got rid of it within 6 months and purchased a S&W 4566 which was a joy in comparison.

I will have to pull mine out (West German rolled slide) and put some serious rounds through it in the next few months. I have not had any issues with it using factory ammo, but have not put very many rounds through it either.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

User Tag List