Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P220R Malfunctions

SIG P220R Malfunctions

Greetings,

My issued SIG P220R is exhibiting two malfunctions. First, the pistol will have a failure to feed. The nose of the cartridge will get caught on the top of the chamber as the pistol attempts to load. This happens with both JHP and FMJ rounds, 3 different OEM 8 rd. magazines, and when the slide is released via the slide stop or manually cycled. The pistol serial number is a GRXX

The second malfunction is where the pistol will not return fully into battery, and must be nudge closed. This occurs even when the pistol is clean and well lubed.

Can anyone offer any insight as to fix these problems?

Thank you!

When did you last replace the recoil spring? How about the mag springs?

Looks like the round isn't get up behind the extractor.

Since it's occurring first round out of the magazine, I'd lean more towards a weak recoil spring. I'd replace it, make sure the chamber is clean and run it.
    Let us know how you make out.

We are diminished
    Given the lack of external extractor, I'd guess your pistol is at least a few years old.

There were a number of identified but never fully resolved issues with the P220R/P220ST internal extractors... so much so that the company finally gave in and developed an external extractor for the gun:

I can tell you from long personally history, there is no permanent dependable solution to the internal extractor problem available from SIG beyond installing a brand new (external extractor) slide. Quite a few P220 carrying agencies abandoned their SIGs over it.

My understanding is that Gray Guns has an aftermarket extractor which is supposed to solve the problem, but I've never tried it or known anyone personally who's done so.

Thanks for the insights! I'm not so thrilled to hear that my duty gun may not be a readily fixed.

We are diminished
    If it's the extractor -- and obviously that's just one possibility -- you can replace the part assuming SIG still supports it. However, in my experience, over time the extractor will most likely fail again. Back when Ernest Langdon was shooting the P220ST in competition, he literally used to cook his extractors in his oven trying to heat treat them more properly but even then he'd still have to replace them every x-thousand rounds.

Well since it's an issued duty gun this won't matter, but I would call Sig, complain about having an unreliable weapon, and sort of insist they send you a new slide with an external extractor since they know the internal ones ain't working right.

Those are classic issues with the stainless slide, internal extractor P220. Sig had issues with properly heat treating the parts. If they made them too weak, you'd get failures to extract and double feeds. If they made them too strong, you get the problems you're seeing.

I've had mixed luck with new parts from Sig fixing the problem. One of my Match slides had the extractor fail (too soft) at about 750 rounds. Sent it back to Sig, got a new extractor and the new one lasted about 750 rounds. My other Match slide has run great. I suspect that it will eventually start to fail but it hasn't yet.

You may want to contact Sig. I think they were offering deals on external extractor P220 slides.

I spoke with SIG customer service today. The rep recommended that I send in the pistol for their "Service Package", which is basically changing springs. The only other advice he had was to replace the recoil spring. I mentioned the internal extractor potentially being the issue, and he quickly dismissed that as a cause.

I guess I'll try the replacing the recoil spring first, although the current recoil spring feels quite stout.
    Last edited by Gewehr3; 04-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Ouch.

Yeah, he gave you the run around.

I hate hearing about stuff like that from a once great company.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List