Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If I decide to buy a new Gen4 G17 what should I look for/upgrade?

I currently carry a fs M&P9 as my duty pistol and i just recently sold the first M&P9 that i had for two years. Both had Apex DCAEK kits installed. The pistol is fantastic, except i am convinced its accuracy is lacking past 15yds. I have shot it from a solid supported postion on several occasions as have many other more accomplished shooters than myself, and both of my M&P9's would only hold about a 6" group @ 25yds.

I have heard identical accuracy reports from several other well known M&P9 shooters who have vast experience with the platform.

My M&P45's were far more accurate for me @ 25yds.

I've two RTF2s, a G17 and a G21 SF. RTF2 is superb. There are quite a few RTF2 G17s around here lately. In really fast reloads, Duane Thomas' observation of the super high traction hanging up in the hand some is a valid point in my experience but it's not so significant an issue I would use it to make a decision one way or the other.

Gen 3 triggers are easier to "tune" if you can call swapping out connectors tuning. lol
    And all I mean by easier is it's not so easy to get as light a pull from a Gen 4 as from a Gen 3. Whether you are really trying to lighten up the trigger, I have no idea.

I have put "-" connectors in multiple examples of both Gen's here and the Gen 3's are a bit lighter. Doc GKR has observed on a M4C thread that this connector has produced roughly 5 lb triggers and I've seen that reported from folks who've measured that as well. My calibrated trigger fingers suggests the Gen 4's similiarly set up are a somewhat heavier. A few ounces heavier would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I currently carry a fs M&P9 as my duty pistol and i just recently sold the first M&P9 that i had for two years. Both had Apex DCAEK kits installed. The pistol is fantastic, except i am convinced its accuracy is lacking past 15yds. I have shot it from a solid supported postion on several occasions as have many other more accomplished shooters than myself, and both of my M&P9's would only hold about a 6" group @ 25yds.

I have heard identical accuracy reports from several other well known M&P9 shooters who have vast experience with the platform.

My M&P45's were far more accurate for me @ 25yds.
    Just buy that damn P30, you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    Just buy that damn P30, you know you want to.
    Trust me Brother, I would already have one....if Safariland would make the damn holsters for the P30 w/X300 attached that I need for work

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've two RTF2s, a G17 and a G21 SF. RTF2 is superb. There are quite a few RTF2 G17s around here lately. In really fast reloads, Duane Thomas' observation of the super high traction hanging up in the hand some is a valid point in my experience but it's not so significant an issue I would use it to make a decision one way or the other.

Gen 3 triggers are easier to "tune" if you can call swapping out connectors tuning. lol
    And all I mean by easier is it's not so easy to get as light a pull from a Gen 4 as from a Gen 3. Whether you are really trying to lighten up the trigger, I have no idea.

I have put "-" connectors in multiple examples of both Gen's here and the Gen 3's are a bit lighter. Doc GKR has observed on a M4C thread that this connector has produced roughly 5 lb triggers and I've seen that reported from folks who've measured that as well. My calibrated trigger fingers suggests the Gen 4's similiarly set up are a somewhat heavier. A few ounces heavier would be my guess.
    This is because of the little 'nubin' on the gen4 trigger bar. I have a gen4 17 that I installed a gen3 trigger bar in, much better.

Have no idea why they changed it. Seems, like, really unnecessary. Kind of like, I dunno, a totally new double recoil spring.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Site Supporter
    That nub is also on the 45GAP triggers, but those don't have the vertical slit where the trigger spring rides (to help with alignment). I thought they were the same trigger, then ordered one, and saw the slight difference. It wasn't worth the return shipping to send it back for a refund.

The bump on the trigger is supposed to keep the trigger bar riding straight back on the striker block. On Gen 3 guns, there is some trigger bar deflection (toward the frame) as it rides across the surface of the striker block. If you take the mag out, and look down the mag well while pulling the trigger, you can see it happening.

I've seen some posts that the plastic connector housing also changes the angle of the trigger bar (a tad), which has some impact on the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd get a Gen3 RTF2 at this point.
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    That nub is also on the 45GAP triggers, but those don't have the vertical slit where the trigger spring rides (to help with alignment). I thought they were the same trigger, then ordered one, and saw the slight difference. It wasn't worth the return shipping to send it back for a refund.

The bump on the trigger is supposed to keep the trigger bar riding straight back on the striker block. On Gen 3 guns, there is some trigger bar deflection (toward the frame) as it rides across the surface of the striker block. If you take the mag out, and look down the mag well while pulling the trigger, you can see it happening.

I've seen some posts that the plastic connector housing also changes the angle of the trigger bar (a tad), which has some impact on the weight.
    I've heard some reports of people filing/polishing down the nub and getting pull weights back down the 3rd Gen levels.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    I've heard some reports of people filing/polishing down the nub and getting pull weights back down the 3rd Gen levels.
    a Gen4 with a 4.5# connector and polished surfaces leaves me with a pretty nice trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This is because of the little 'nubin' on the gen4 trigger bar. I have a gen4 17 that I installed a gen3 trigger bar in, much better.

Have no idea why they changed it. Seems, like, really unnecessary. Kind of like, I dunno, a totally new double recoil spring.
    That just slays me! And I dig the Gen 4s.

User Tag List