Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If I decide to buy a new Gen4 G17 what should I look for/upgrade?

Look for the 0 2 2 spring if it's the countersunk slide.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just to clarify, despite the G17/19 problems, haven't the G22/23 gen 4's been running fine?
    Not universally. A major agency purchased over 3,000 gen4 G23s and had so many problems, they returned the entire shipment to Glock.

With a few exceptions, the G22 seems to be running very well. To me, this indicates that once again Glock did all the actual engineering work on one model (this time the 22 rather than the 17) and just shoehorned all the other calibers and sizes to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Look for the 0 2 2 spring if it's the countersunk slide.
    There's a 0-2-2 spring now? Last I knew it was:

• G17, countersunk recess in slide: 0-2
    • G17, no countersunk recess: 0-2-1

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Not universally. A major agency purchased over 3,000 gen4 G23s and had so many problems, they returned the entire shipment to Glock.

With a few exceptions, the G22 seems to be running very well. To me, this indicates that once again Glock did all the actual engineering work on one model (this time the 22 rather than the 17) and just shoehorned all the other calibers and sizes to fit.

There's a 0-2-2 spring now? Last I knew it was:

• G17, countersunk recess in slide: 0-2
    • G17, no countersunk recess: 0-2-1
    I believe 0 2 2 replaces 0 2

Our latest G19s have 0 4 1 as well

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Our latest G19s have 0 4 1 as well
    There shouldn't be an equal number of factory recoil spring iterations to backstrap configurations, unless the number is 1. I miss my Gen 3 19s.

Dude its an upgrade

I'd get a Gen3 RTF2 at this point.
    #RESIST

For a 9mm right now I'd tell you to get a S&W M&P!! or a 3rd gen.
    Having just said that I just bought a new Gen 4 17 as I Hate the way the M&P feels in my hand....

I have a early Gen 4 17 (PFEXXX) and the updates that I see on the new one are, Recoil spring ( 021) Extractor (4) AND.... the Trigger Housing!! they have beefed up the area behind the Ejector!! It also looks like they have tweaked the ejector its self, but not by much at all.

My! Gen 4 .40 are all 100% so far ( taking out the three hand loads that had primers in backwards)!! I freaking LOVE my gen 4 G35's!!!!!! My gen4 G23 has a very low round count right now though.

I SO wish Glock would get off there ASS and get all the Gen 4 issues fixed....
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I hear ya, but honesty the amount of rounds that Todd has thru his Gen4 torture test G17 since getting his extractor squared away is probably more than I typically shoot in a year (5000-7500rds).

The big attraction for me with the Gen4 is the shorter grip (front to rear) and the new magazine release.
    If you have a Plan B for CCW and your no noob, I'd say go for it. I'm surely influenced by outstanding Gen 4 9mm performance of our four specimens and those of shooting buds but on GT there are lot of happy Gen 4 shooters for each one who ran into a snag.

The Gen 4's smaller grip is not much of a feature to me but it's a major factor for many.
    And having a Vickers mag release on a Gen 3 G17 for comparison, I do not understand all the folks that posted hither and yon last year that the Gen 4 mag release was an improvement but not as good as the Vickers Gen 3 piece. BUZZZZZ. Wrong. Gen 4 mag release is a step level better cause it's a scad longer = faster and still very positive and secure.

But you pays your money and you takes your changes like everybody else. Especially those that got a Gen 3 in 2010 with similiarly challenged extractors.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd get a Gen3 RTF2 at this point.
    Wish I could find 2 of these. I'd like a spare and wifey has decided she wants a G19 for her first gun. She liked the G much better than the M&P and I just got her a holster for it, now to fill it.

RTF2 is sweet to shoot. It is in my opinion less sweet carried up against my skin.

User Tag List