Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I decide to buy a new Gen4 G17 what should I look for/upgrade?

If I decide to buy a new Gen4 G17 what should I look for/upgrade?

I am contemplating purchasing a new Gen4 G17. I will obviously be looking to get the most recent production G17 I can find at my local dealer(s), but to be sure what is the most recent recoil spring assembly revision# I should be looking for?

Also what do you all suggest I do with the extractor? Is there a simple test for checking the fit, function, production quality, etc. of the extractors? Is there a specific model extractor (non-LCI?) that I should just order and install to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance.

Stay safe,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    If I decide to buy a new Gen4 G17 what should I look for/upgrade?
    A Gen3 G17. Not what you were asking but I'm back to all Gen3 GLOCKs. No sense in me worrying about upgrades, fixes, and the like. I'll re-consider the Gen4 once ALL the bugs are exterminated.

Site Supporter
    FWIW: I wish I never bought my primary Gen4 19.

We are diminished
    I think the question you need to be asking is, "Is the gen4 G17 the right choice right now?" Because candidly, no one knows for sure how to answer your questions. Glock thought they solved the problems with a new recoil spring. Then there was the promise of simply changing extractors. Now there is evidence that at least some of the gen4 problems revolve around yet another part.

I'm not telling you not to buy a gen4, just understand going in that it may have problems and right now no one, even Glock, understands exactly why some guns run fine and others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Yup. Same here. I spent 9 months and about 2,500 rounds of ammo before I gave up worrying about it and trying to "fix" it. I don't want to worry and constantly test it. I just want to shoot. I have enough else to worry about rather than if I will have more malfs today.

I hear ya, but honesty the amount of rounds that Todd has thru his Gen4 torture test G17 since getting his extractor squared away is probably more than I typically shoot in a year (5000-7500rds).

The big attraction for me with the Gen4 is the shorter grip (front to rear) and the new magazine release.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think the question you need to be asking is, "Is the gen4 G17 the right choice right now?" Because candidly, no one knows for sure how to answer your questions. Glock thought they solved the problems with a new recoil spring. Then there was the promise of simply changing extractors. Now there is evidence that at least some of the gen4 problems revolve around yet another part.

I'm not telling you not to buy a gen4, just understand going in that it may have problems and right now no one, even Glock, understands exactly why some guns run fine and others don't.
    Thanks for the feedback Todd. What is the other part in question aside from the recoil spring and the extractor?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I hear ya, but honesty the amount of rounds that Todd has thru his Gen4 torture test G17 since getting his extractor squared away is probably more than I typically shoot in a year (5000-7500rds).
    IIRC - I had 10 FTEx or Ejs with my 19 in 5500'ish rounds.

Just to clarify, despite the G17/19 problems, haven't the G22/23 gen 4's been running fine? I would like a G23 .40 cal for areas in the mountain west, with four leg critters, and the combination of the Gen 4 with the small grip and a grip force adapter is attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Dammmmn.

My gen4 17 has worked well.

But I use an aftermarket single strand recoil spring, and don't shoot as much as you.

Love the new grip w/ no backstraps, and the new mag release. Soon, my gen4 17 will be my only Glock without a grip reduction.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List