Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New 6.8 mm and .300 BLK tests

Site Supporter
    I would really enjoy seeing some updated discussion on the 6.8 SPC - it has certainly been "quiet". I frequent the 6.8SPC and the 6.5G forums and you have to sort through a lot to get useful info. I have a 14.5 6.8 with a weld/pinned AAC suppressor mount that I like and a 6.5 Grendel 20 inch set up for longer range. Because I have the 6.8 and 6.5 (and 5.56), I never went down the 300BO path.

6.8 mm works very well from a 12" barrel and decently (better than 5.56mm) from an 8" barrel.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Another bullet another gel test.

This is Sierra's 90gr varmint hollow point loaded with Hodgdon CFE BLK. Average is right about 2,350fps from my 12.5" barrel.

I fired two bullets. One into bare gel and one through FBI clothing. The bare gel penetrated 17" and had a retained weight of 56.9gr. The bullet fired through clothing penetrated 16" and retained 53.4gr of its weight.

In both cases the bullet started to expand at about 2" into the block and caused the most damage about 4.5" in. The "wound" cavity continued to about 7" then the bullets settled down and continued on into the gel. Both cavities are about 2" wide at the wisest point.

The bullet fired into bar gel had a maximum diameter of nearly .52" while the bullet through clothing came out at just under half an inch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The term "wound cavity" is nebulous and misleading. There are two different types of cavities: 1) permanent and 2) temporary. The temporary cavity may or may not damage tissues - this is why it's necessary to accurately describe the wounding effects you're observing.

Its my understanding that, as a general rule, the temporary cavity with handgun rounds is not important but with high-velocity rifle rounds, it has some meaning.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

The problem with term "wound cavity" is it implies all the disruption visible in ordnance gelatin is destroyed tissue when in many situations, handgun cartridges especially, the large cracks simply record and depict the temporary cavity.
    Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 11-23-2017 at 11:45 AM.

No intention to deceive and I apologize if that's the way it appears.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Fackler used the term "permanent disruption" to describe tissue permanently damaged by the temporary cavity or the combination of damage produced by both the temporary cavity and bullet fragmentation. He was careful to describe the mechanisms so others wouldn't misinterpret the wounding effects.

Interesting that Hornady is apparently going to offer 277 Wolverine brass soon. This means factory brass will be available from two different sources.

User Tag List