Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New 6.8 mm and .300 BLK tests

Looks promising. I'd love to see an option that passes all FBI protocols that wasn't tipped. I know it's not the same and I currently rely on the Barnes stuff but I've had a 556 gun tied up by a tipped projectile that came off during the feeding process in the barrel extension which stopped the bolt from locking completely. Still makes me nervous about them even though it has only ever happened once. Thanks for posting that Velo Dog. Always good to have options.

(edited due to the fact I just realized all the intermediate stuff was up there I just scrolled past it too quickly)
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-15-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Looks promising. I'd love to see an option that passes all FBI protocols that wasn't tipped. I know it's not the same and I currently rely on the Barnes stuff but I've had a 556 gun tied up by a tipped projectile that came off during the feeding process in the barrel extension which stopped the bolt from locking completely. Still makes me nervous about them even though it has only ever happened once. Thanks for posting that Velo Dog. Always good to have options.

(edited due to the fact I just realized all the intermediate stuff was up there I just scrolled past it too quickly)
    My impression as a non-scientific observer is that LE appears to be moving toward tipped projectiles because they do better with auto glass. We've even seen this with handgun rounds (Feds going with G2 in 9mm and Critical Duty in 40). I love the TSX in rifle and handguns but they can deform and collapse or tear off their petals going through windshields.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My impression as a non-scientific observer is that LE appears to be moving toward tipped projectiles because they do better with auto glass. We've even seen this with handgun rounds (Feds going with G2 in 9mm and Critical Duty in 40). I love the TSX in rifle and handguns but they can deform and collapse or tear off their petals going through windshields.
    I would agree, near where I am from originally there are quite a few departments that issued TAP ammo. I do believe that the local PD where I live now does as well. But there are some that have moved away from it. Particularly the lighter weight loadings I believe. I do know that my brothers agency switched not too far back after an OIS. If I recall correctly it was a form of TAP ammo from a standard length AR through a side window of a car. Ammo didn't preform as expected and did not incapacitate the aggressor. The projectile fragmented completely after hitting the window. Tempered glass seems to still be a bitch for the most part.

I really like the idea of tipped ammo when looking at ballistic coefficients and soft targets but I still don't have a warm and fuzzy with them with intermediate stuff. I know there is data to the contrary and I should just get over it. I definitely like the TTSX and the like more, even though they see to sheer in instance you've noted they still seem to get adequate penetration with minimal deviation. At least from the non-sciency backyard tests I've done. I would absolutely love to have a 300 BLK option from Federal like their LE308TT2 in 300, or the Speer Gold Dot/Federal MSR like loadings. I really like the 110-123gr range projectiles for the 300 and based on all the charting and actual ballistic data I have it seems to be the most accurate, flat shooting and hard hitting. Having a bonded bullet in that range would be the shit in my uneducated opinion but I do still think the ballistic tip has it's place though, specifically in large urban areas where concerns for over penetration might be an issue. I hope Speer/ATK gets on the 300 BLK train.

The presence or absence of a polymer tip is generally irrelevant to penetration depth. What matters is bullet construction. Something like T-TBBC, T-TSX, T-GMX, Scirocco, Accubond are typically all going to offer adequate penetration compared to a fragile, thin jacketed match or varmint bullet with polymer tip.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The presence or absence of a polymer tip is generally irrelevant to penetration depth. What matters is bullet construction. Something like T-TBBC, T-TSX, T-GMX, Scirocco, Accubond are typically all going to offer adequate penetration compared to a fragile, thin jacketed match or varmint bullet with polymer tip.

Doc thank you for clarifying. In all your testing and observation have you ever encountered/observed any issues with feeding or reliability with polymer tipped projectiles? Is my concern about reliability unreasonable? I’ve never observed issues with 300 black but have with Hornady Tap Urban. I think it was a 40 or 55 grain projectile.

Thank you again. For the good info in the above post.

TAP Urban is an extremely fragile varmint type projectile which really has no place in LE duty use. Polymer tip damage is rare, but can happen, especially in poorly built weapons with marginal function.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    TAP Urban is an extremely fragile varmint type projectile which really has no place in LE duty use. Polymer tip damage is rare, but can happen, especially in poorly built weapons with marginal function.
    I confirmed it was Tap urban ammo that I had this issue with, it was in a dept. issued Bushmaster, I believe you are absolutely spot on about the build quality and function. I think I can put my concerns to rest. I also took the time to reread your .308 post on duty loads. Damn was there a ton of amazing information in there. I can't believe that I forgot about that thread, I should have looked it over again when I started to look at .300 BLK projectiles and ammo. The GMX bullet looks very promising for my uses and is much cheaper than the Barnes offering. I wish I hadn't so readily dismissed the load due to poor assumptions on my part about its construction and it being polymer tipped.

@Velo Dog thanks again for posting that info.

Doc, if you have a second to answer could you tell us if you already have, or if you have plans to test the 110gr GMX load? Looking at the factory publication Velo Dog posted it looks like it would meet all the requirements for a duty load as the Barnes could with a little less of a risk of over penetration. I believe that your opinion some time ago was the the Barnes offering was the only offering that had acceptable performance, has your opinion since changed with some of the newer ammo or is there insufficient data to formulate an new opinion? Thank you.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-16-2017 at 03:15 PM.

The 110 gr GMX works very well and is certainly acceptable for .300 BLK duty use.

User Tag List