Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal PD2564B 20 Ga. #4 Buck

Federal PD2564B 20 Ga. #4 Buck

Does this load have a Flite Control wad? Do any 20 gauge loads?

HH6 surprised an intruder on the back porch a little while ago, and chased him away, but I think I've finally convinced her she needs to consider a long gun for home defense. (I may even get her to learn the manual of arms for an AR...)

(I work graveyard shift, and probably will be for the foreseeable future.)
    Last edited by Drang; 04-13-2018 at 02:02 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

No. Yes in some hunting loads with birdshot.

You probably don't need a flitecontrol wad to shoot critters on your porch. You'll probably need hardened lead pellets that can punch deep and not one's that are advertised as being made from soft lead to limit penetration. Good #4 is pretty lame on it's own, no reason to make it worse.

I know it wasn't solicited. The 8 pellet 00 LE loads from Hornandy or Federal will have about the same recoil as most commercial 20 gauge loads, similar payload weights and velocity, but the 00 will have better terminal performance and come in shells with solid brass heads. Unless the physical size of the shotgun is an issue, 12 is a better choice.
    Last edited by txdpd; 04-13-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I travel a lot, we live in rural suburbia NW of Atlanta. We have a few copperheads and coyotes around. My HH6 has a Mossberg SA20 20 gauge auto with a light for evening Daschunds patrol - first round is a heavy Sporting Clays #7.5 for snakes and rest are #1 Buck. Has not needed yet but I think she is prepared. I have two similar 12 gauge shotguns (Remington 1100 and Stoeger 3000) but the SA20 is a better size and weight.

Site Supporter
    So... I’m confused, was the “intruder” a human or a critter ?
    Last edited by HCM; 04-13-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So... I’m confused, was the “intruder” a human or a critter ?
    White, male, 30-ish, no shirt, said his name was Jeff, or she said she thought that's what he said, as he fled.

The Mossberg is too long and heavy for her to handle comfortably. Until I can get her some range time with the AR, her old Rossi Coach Gun will do for HD long gun duties. (She was seriously interested in CAS at one time.)

Finally got in to Federal's web site -- work blocks that, but not PF, or Ammoseek -- and there are apparently no 20 gauge loads w/Flitecontrol wads. Ditto Hornaday and Titewad, I mean, Versatite wads.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-13-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    White, male, 30-ish, no shirt, said his name was Jeff, or she said she thought that's what he said, as he fled.

The Mossberg is too long and heavy for her to handle comfortably. Until I can get her some range time with the AR, her old Rossi Coach Gun will do for HD long gun duties. (She was seriously interested in CAS at one time.)

Finally got in to Federal's web site -- work blocks that, but not PF, or Ammoseek -- and there are apparently no 20 gauge loads w/Flitecontrol wads. Ditto Hornaday and Titewad, I mean, Versatite wads.
    That's what I thought from the OP.

Assuming she already has the 20 gauge coach gun. I would look for 20 gauge 00 or #1 buck. Flute control is great in LE duty guns but Steve Fisher makes a compelling argumnt for regular 00 loads for in the house or on the porch distances. At those close distances, flite control is too tight and negates some of the advantage of the shotgun, its pattern.

Try a couple different 00 and #1 loads and go with what patterns well in the gun.

Longer term, 20 gauge standard loads kick as much or more than low recoil 12 gauge loads and there are more choices in low recoil 12 gauge defense loads than 20 gauge defense loads.

Does Rossi make a sxs?

Any ways. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/remi...30-p-3168.aspx
    Or
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/20-ga...tan-ammunition

I'm comfortable with the top #3 buck load. I've killed a few deer at 50 yards with #4 buck with great results. I know it's not historicaly accepted as good enough d/t inconsistent penatration. The #1 buck shot should do the trick as well.

I would pattern each barrel at 25 yards with each choke. I've always had erratic fliers with full choke but modified seems to be ok. I'm guessing you might need to buy another modified choke tube as well.

You said it's her gun? Have her pattern it. Let her see the limitations. I love sxs shotguns but it's even more limited than a pump or semi. It will do untill you find something else though.
    Last edited by 03RN; 04-14-2018 at 01:30 AM.

I can say that 20 gauge 3” buckshot in a youth Mossberg 500 is well into my No Fun Zone. I suspect the coach gun would be similar. 2 3/4” buck should be fine. Consider an aftermarket recoil pad(the stock pad on the 500 was a brick) and a comb pad.

A 12 gauge 500 with reduced-recoil buck is much more comfortable to shoot, but the gun is just too big for my wife and her small hands. A properly sized 20-gauge gas semi would probably be the best shotgun choice for her, or a small PCC on the rifle side.

The SA-20 Youth looks interesting. The extra weight of the wood-stocked version would be more comfortable to shoot.
    http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/sa-20/

There is 20” version with rails but the stock design looks terrible. Swapping on a standard youth buttstock might be the best setup.
    Last edited by peterb; 04-14-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Assuming she already has the 20 gauge coach gun. I would look for 20 gauge 00 or #1 buck. Flite control is great in LE duty guns...
    No Flite Control in 20 gauge. And the gun is choked less than ideally for FC anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Does Rossi make a sxs?
    You said it's her gun? Have her pattern it. Let her see the limitations. I love sxs shotguns but it's even more limited than a pump or semi. It will do untill you find something else though.
    They used to. Nowadays the niche is filled by Stoeger and Turkish or Chinese imports. (I'm sure the Stoeger is one or the other...)

She wanted the thing when she was thinking about Cowboy Action Shooting, or, as she likes to call it, dress-up with guns. Then Life Happened and she lost interest, but she had the scattergun...

I need to replace the front sight bead, I get so obsessed with "what is the correct thread" that I can't/won't just order two or three brass beads and see which one fits.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    There is (Mossberg International SA-20) version with rails but the stock design looks terrible. Swapping on a standard youth buttstock might be the best setup.
    I was looking at those, and that was my thought exactly. Although by the standards of P-F.com those guns are less than ideal, i.e., probably wouldn't stand up to a several-hundred round count class... .
    She has had little interest in long guns until now, which is why I never got her her own AR, or shotgun, or replaced that front sight bead on the coach gun.
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    No Flite Control in 20 gauge. And the gun is choked less than ideally for FC anyway.

They used to. Nowadays the niche is filled by Stoeger and Turkish or Chinese imports. (I'm sure the Stoeger is one or the other...)

She wanted the thing when she was thinking about Cowboy Action Shooting, or, as she likes to call it, dress-up with guns. Then Life Happened and she lost interest, but she had the scattergun...

I need to replace the front sight bead, I get so obsessed with "what is the correct thread" that I can't/won't just order two or three brass beads and see which one fits.

I was looking at those, and that was my thought exactly. Although by the standards of P-F.com those guns are less than ideal, i.e., probably wouldn't stand up to a several-hundred round count class... .
    She has had little interest in long guns until now, which is why I never got her her own AR, or shotgun, or replaced that front sight bead on the coach gun.
    If the youth stock is availible separately, the turkey model might be a good choice with an RDS installed on the pic rail.

User Tag List