Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: When to Carry

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Yeah...alarms don't get much priority, usually.

There's also the factor of coverage. At one time in my county during the night shift there were five deputies on the road. Five. With a patrol area that was 40 miles at its widest point. I believe they've bumped that up a bit since then, but it's still a pretty small crew responsible for a lot of real estate. In some surrounding rural areas they have a really small crew and that coupled with poor supervision and leadership means that of the few who are on the road a couple were probably parked at their girlfriend's house doing the horizontal monster mash instead of being on patrol. Toss in the huge number of false alarms and response time prognosis is pretty grim. If it's real, they'll show up to take the report or to find your dead body. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    I would think if you were in a Speedo that you would WANT to have the Desert Eagle AIWB...you know, just for the WOW factor.
    I find that the heavy coating of baby oil takes care of the wow factor pretty well. At least as far as I can tell from the reaction I've gotten from Kirby salesmen and guys trying to sell me meat from the back of their van.

Seriously, though, at the moment within my reach there is a Remington 870 with an extended magazine, an H&K P30, and a Glock 17 equipped with a CT Laser, a Surefire X200B, and fed Federal HST from a 31 round magazine. Unless the person(s) busting down my door used to hang with Sean, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-09-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    3/15/2016

The only other downside I have to carrying in the house is the little guy, who considers me his personal punching bag, taking too many slide shots to the dome. It's happened on a few occasions where he'll jump on top of me, get a "bonk", and then has to see what's crackalackin' down south. At 2 1/2 he's fascinated by guns already and everything he picks up goes "Pew! Pew!" and when we're knocking over furniture and he knows I'm carrying he fixates on the gun and wants to, no has to, see it. He's only a little guy and just doesn't quite understand no and everything else that goes along with don't touch that, leave it alone, etc.

When he gets a little older and is out of the flying off of the back of the couch ninja attack mode I think it may be a lot more feasible. Currently life for me is a lot like this.

I've always been one to carry at home in the same manner as I do when out. I have a comfy old pair of shorts with a back-up riggers belt threaded through them and throw them on when it's time to lounge. I carry AIWB when at home, just as I carry everywhere else. If I'm not carrying on me at home, my gun/reload is within reach.

The pistol/reload on me is my first line of defense if something happens while my wife, 2 wk old son, and I are hanging in the living areas of our house. It's job is to address the initial threat and allow my family to get to the safety of our bedroom. If I can end it in the initial exchange, that's great, if not, the pistol on me is to get me to my "Alamo" where my wife will be waiting, along with my kitted out BPM AR, Benelli, additional handguns (my other HK carry gun, and my P220 w/TLR-1 "nightstand" gun), topped off mags, etc. That's a good place to stand my ground while my wife is with our son on the phone in our master bathroom (door locked; minor obstacle for a BG, I know), hopefully getting the Sheriff coming in our direction. In that case, I'll just wait for help to arrive. If someone decides kicking in my masonite bedroom door is a good idea, then they will be met with a significant amount of firepower.

I'm also about to pick up additional ear pro for she and myself, and a pair of complete sound dampening ear pro for the little guy (won't fit, but something is better than nothing). I have good ear pro in my range bag, but I want her to have a similar pair that dampens gunshots while allowing normal, but amplified, sounds through for communication purposes.

At this point in parenthood, our little guy is still sleeping in a crib in our bedroom for feeding convenience, but his "big boy" room is upstairs when we make that transition in a couple months. When this happens, the idea of me staying in my "Alamo" is going to change. While I don't plan to come busting out gun slinging, just to meet the business end of a sawed off shotgun, I will absolutely have to clear my house and make my way to secure him. In that case, I still think it best of my wife to stay in our bedroom, door locked, armed, and on the phone. I will send my 85lb Great American Swamp Terrior out into the house, and I will follow behind toward my son's room. I figure a good-sized, dark dog, in a dark house, may also make someone potentially give their position away as I make my way to get my son. In that case, I can address that threat if necessary.

Any thoughts on the last paragraph of my plan? I would appreciate feedback.
    Last edited by BoppaBear; 03-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Incidentally, the section on this topic on Kathy's site is just smokin' well-thought-out.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Thanks Tam.........great link. And very appropriate. Much more on topic than my Billy Madison-esque no where in my incoherent ramblings did I come close to anything that could be construed as a rational thought.

I carry at home like others and if I don't have the gun on me it's in the safe. I have two small children and they are so used to papa carrying a gun they don't even pay attention to it. To them its like me wearing pants or shoes.

My main reason I carry @ the house is that with two small children I'm committed to the fight should something go wrong and couldn't leave/take the kids to acquire a firearm. We have had two people shot within less than 20 yards of my house. The last one was a lady getting shot with a 12 gauge. So we are on high alert here with GSD and security doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    I carry at home like others and if I don't have the gun on me it's in the safe. I have two small children and they are so used to papa carrying a gun they don't even pay attention to it. To them its like me wearing pants or shoes.

My main reason I carry @ the house is that with two small children I'm committed to the fight should something go wrong and couldn't leave/take the kids to acquire a firearm. We have had two people shot within less than 20 yards of my house. The last one was a lady getting shot with a 12 gauge. So we are on high alert here with GSD and security doors.
    Man, posts like these always make me grateful for my super boring neighborhood. Good point on having to leave kids while retrieving a firearm.

Cool When to Carry

Ever since I obtained my CHL I have carried where and whenever legal. Yes even around the house and to the bathroom. I have been the butt of several sarcastic remarks on this habit but I am not deterred in the least. I live in the outskirts of the city and I am served by the Seriffs Department which typically means longer response times. Last week there was a home invasion 10 minutes from our house so I have been wearing a smug little smile all week . I am 64 and disabled so I am not going to go all UFC on some 24 YO muscle bound ex con....so I will continue to carry everywhere legal.

You guys are doing it all wrong. Instead of sleeping I sit in a chair at night wearing sunglasses like Jean Reno in The Professional. That way no one will get the drop on me. Anything less and you're not serious about your safety.

User Tag List