Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: When to Carry

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a pistol.

If I'm lounging in my canary yellow Speedo, the gun is within wingspan.
    Warning: Do not Google images of yellow Speedo to post funny picture...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    IIRC, Tom Givens mentioned having installed metal doors on his house that would not be easily kicked in as one method for gaining time to access a firearm.
    Interestingly, the previous owner of my Roomie's house was an Indy cop, and it has steel doors, serious deadbolts, and outward-opening deadbolted security doors outside those. A SWAT raid would likely have to begin by hooking chains to the security door and the bumper of the raid van. In most scenarios that don't begin with me answering the door, I will have time to go get the long gun. I carry the pistol all the time just for convenience's sake more than anything else.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

If I'm wearing pants I'm wearing a gun. If I'm wearing sweatpants I will toss on a soft belt and still carry the G17. I have a Smart Carry for the Shield that gets used when I am really lazy but the G17 just works. On the off chance there is not a gun on me it is beside me. I am almost always concealed at home but I do take the top shirt off and will have just the UA undershirt sometimes. Always keep a cover shirt nearby and never poke out with the gun visible.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I am almost always concealed at home but I do take the top shirt off and will have just the UA undershirt sometimes. Always keep a cover shirt nearby and never poke out with the gun visible.
    In summer I don't really bother with a gun burkha around the house or yard.

I lounge around the house in my street clothes. As TLG mentioned, if it is comfortable enough for me to wear out, it is comfortable enough for me to wear in too. The moment I walk through the door, I open the safe, put on holster/gun/mag/light. When I dress down to retire for the evening, the holster/pouches/belt get put away, and the pistol finds it's place on the nightstand. Last thing I do before I leave the house in the AM is lock the pistol away. Weekends/holidays/non-work days, I transfer the pistol from nightstand to holster the moment I am up and moving about.

I didn't bother to "harden" my entry points, so I keep the pistol within arms reach at all times. This is not my forever home, and while "hardened" entry points may appeal to some, it can also freak out potential buyers, and keep them from making an offer, citing security concerns in the neighborhood. Once that type of set up has been seen, it can't be un-seen, and no amount of explaining will change most people's minds. I watched just such a transaction not play out due to the security system and features we installed at a friends house. It took months to get the house sold, at the peak of the market, and ultimately, he had to dismantle a good deal of the features installed, essentially wasting that money.......or rather not getting any return on his investment.

And having countless times on the other side of the door, with my primary job being to get them open quickly, I don't put a lot of faith in deadbolts, metal doors, and other "hardening" techniques. In order to actually make the target door difficult to breach, it would take more hardware, money, design and architectual changes than I am willing to invest. T-Bars, grates, outward opening doors, don't make sense to me. I don't want to build a fortress that does a better job of keeping me in than it does of keeping a determined adversary out. Sure, it may buy me a few extra seconds to run and get my gun, but I prefer just grabbing it from the holster or nightstand, and leave the house/doors/windows the way they are. With a pistol in hand, or on the belt/nightstand and a spare mag, I can hold my own in just about any room in my house.

One nice thing a slowed entry might provide would be the time to make the 9-1-1 call before the onset of festivities. Other than that........I like my method, it works for me, and I feel secure enough in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    How about perimeter hardening?
    Occasionally interferes with AIWB. Less of a problem as I get older.

I match up with Tam pretty well, except I don't fight the NPE at work so I ungun a couple times a day. The safest way for me to store my firearm around Griffin Coonfinger is on my belt.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I didn't bother to "harden" my entry points, so I keep the pistol within arms reach at all times. This is not my forever home, and while "hardened" entry points may appeal to some, it can also freak out potential buyers, and keep them from making an offer, citing security concerns in the neighborhood. Once that type of set up has been seen, it can't be un-seen, and no amount of explaining will change most people's minds. I watched just such a transaction not play out due to the security system and features we installed at a friends house. It took months to get the house sold, at the peak of the market, and ultimately, he had to dismantle a good deal of the features installed, essentially wasting that money.......or rather not getting any return on his investment.

And having countless times on the other side of the door, with my primary job being to get them open quickly, I don't put a lot of faith in deadbolts, metal doors, and other "hardening" techniques. In order to actually make the target door difficult to breach, it would take more hardware, money, design and architectual changes than I am willing to invest. T-Bars, grates, outward opening doors, don't make sense to me. I don't want to build a fortress that does a better job of keeping me in than it does of keeping a determined adversary out. Sure, it may buy me a few extra seconds to run and get my gun, but I prefer just grabbing it from the holster or nightstand, and leave the house/doors/windows the way they are. With a pistol in hand, or on the belt/nightstand and a spare mag, I can hold my own in just about any room in my house.
    True, but there are different situations for different folks. Rawlesian door treatments that would look paranoid on a suburban McMansion don't look at all out of place in a Bo-Bo neighborhood twenty blocks from the 'hood.

I like that the former owner had obviously been to both enough warrant services and residential fires to know the difference between something that may slow down some dude he'd locked up from kicking in the front door, and something that may tie him up getting out of a burning bedroom.

(Personally, one of the key elements of my security plan is staying friendly with all my nosy neighbors, half of whom work from home. Gladys Kravitz with an itchy 911 finger beats ADT any day of the week and twice on Sunday.)

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

If I'm lounging in my canary yellow Speedo, the gun is within wingspan.
    I would think if you were in a Speedo that you would WANT to have the Desert Eagle AIWB...you know, just for the WOW factor.

When I leave the house I have a gun.
    Inside the house i'm probably 50/50.
    There's always something dangerous (shoot, stab, blunt force) within arms reach no matter where I am in the house so no worries if i'm not strapped.
    Besides, nobody wants to wrestle a naked man.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Gladys Kravitz with an itchy 911 finger beats ADT any day of the week and twice on Sunday.)
    Indeed............

And yes, different needs for different folks......always. I also have to factor in that most scumbags who would conduct a home invasion type crime are probably not as well versed in MOE as I am, and most folks who choose to harden their homes can do so relatively effectively against Joe-Shit the Ragman.

And while we are on the topic of when to carry, and hardened targets, security systems, etc..........I had ADT/Brinks install a pretty robust sensor array several years ago when I first moved into the house where I still live. Every window has not only the open/close sensor, but also break sensors. Same with each external door, as well as the door that leads in from the garage since I don't have a sensor on the garage car doors. Second story window to the master bedroom has the same, as it is possible for someone to climb onto the roof of the breakfast nook and make entry from there into the bedroom. There are multiple motion sensors throughout the downstairs, at the entry points, with overlapping coverage. And of course, CO and smoke detectors.

About a year later, in the wee hours of the AM, my ex was woken up to the sound of the audible alarm going nuts. And the dog going nuts. She did as she was trained, and grabbed the gun, the phone handset, and got some concealment behind the bed facing the locked bedroom door. Brinks/ADT was quick to call and verify that it was not an accidental trip of the alarm. When she said she had been asleep, they dialed the local PD to get them on their way. The system reported the dining room window had been breached. Of course, having the dog, alarm, and everything else going batshit just added to the confusion, stress, and fear of this tense situation.

Now, this was a Tuesday night/Wed early AM, on a fairly crappy weather day. FORTYFIVE MINUTES.

Yuuuuuup.

FORTYFIVE MINUTES for the local PD to get a single officer to the residence. He waited an additional 15 minutes for another officer to show up so they could begin their search of the residence. I mean, it was only a residence. With a person inside on the phone with Brinks/ADT and local PD in a conference call.......completely freaked out, totally terrified, and the response was 45 minutes.

Un fucking SAT.

I should add that I live less than 1 mile from the precinct that services my neighborhood.

Perfect time to have a neighbor like Gladys Kravitz................my western neighbors just moved. Think Gladys would consider VA?

I dropped ADT/Brinks the day I got home, and have never bothered with a security system since. Sure, the sensors were there, the installation sound, overlapping sensors with plenty of redundancy and backups. But there was nothing to get the fucking cops to leave the donut shop and show up to a residential alarm call where the system showed a broken dining room window, at 0130 in the middle of the week, with the woman, alone inside, on the phone being told they will be there any minute. For 45 minutes. (FWIW, the culprit appeared to have been scared off by the audible alarm, and flashing lights downstairs. They got a latent print, but I never heard anything further about it).

It is interesting how we evolve our methods over the years though. I used to simply leave guns all over the house. During the single years, I always lived with co-workers, so having 10-15 guns strategically placed throughout the house seemed perfectly normal. During the divorced years, I initially reverted back to the guns stashed until I had a gun stolen out of my house during a burglary of my garage (where there was never an alarm until you tried to make entry into the house so keeping Brinks would not have helped). Fortunately, it was only one. But I elected not to set myself up for that again.

Since I am going to open the safe anyway when I get home from work, it makes sense for me to just add my primary defensive response to the wardrobe. Hard doors, nosey neighbors, and security systems all have me relying on a third party, or passive objects. By carrying inside the home, I have only to rely on myself, and the gun I chose to carry. Either way, the success or failure is on me alone.

Jody, I used to have shirt very similar to that last statement.........

"Unless you are in prison...........NEVER fight nekkid"
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 03-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.

User Tag List